1.    #1  
    My needs are simple. I want speed and battery life to remain consistent as along with features, apps and patches, as they unfold.

I have touted the virtues of the immortal 1.1 before. No patches, no CPU scaling, data on all the time, and 12-16 hours of power-user pounding, with power to spare (take it off the charger around 8am, put it back around 12 or 1am the next morning). Imagine using all the fun features of your Pre (web, email, text, Mp3 player, radio) as you want, with no intermittent charging and no fear of power loss. PLUS, SPEED. Mere seconds to everything.

Now, flash forward to 1.3.1. Quite a few small but really convenient changes, and some killer patches geared towards it. Now let's talk performance:

1) No patches. 1/2 a day of power with very modest use. Maybe into the afternoon. And, so laggy I could make a sandwich while I wait.

2) With some kind of CPU scaling and data turned off when not in use. Still needs to be charged throughout the day. Might make it to 6pm on one charge. Again, SUPER LAGGY.

Yesterday was the last straw. I was in Walmart on Christmas eve (won't do that again) and my phone died before 6pm. That was with VERY modest usage but with data on most of the day as I was expecting important emails.

I happen to have an old copy of WebOS Doctor and put my phone back to 1.1. I admit, I miss some of the features, like being able to turn data off (NOTE: the data toggle app doesn't actually work with 1.1. It keeps reading EVDO/1XRTT ON, when activated repeatedly, and when I reboot, it says EVDO/1XRTT OFF repeatedly. Then switches back when I reboot again. etc.)
    But I like having speed and battery power life back.

I don't get it. 1.1 was a workhorse. 1.3.1 is an old horse. CPU Scaling and data shut off gives some relief, but not much.

They really should go back to 1.1 and use it as a template, side-by-side with 1.3.1, make changes one by one until they figure out what is causing the lag and eating battery life.

Thanks for listening (reading).
    That's the way it is with progress sometimes... I always use the example of my 2g iPhone... I have the 3gs with the latest sw and it rocks... Really really fast... No complaints.

My 2g I still have and have the latest sw too... They did disable some features like video record and voice command and the thing runs painfully slow! Of course it's run better with the older software but with the OS much bigger than original and now bloated with all the features that people have wanted for years... The phone is just not up to
    task.

As pre is updated and they start putting in new features, it will cause the phone to work harder and they will have to work on optimizing it... One feature or two at a time, working out the new bugs they create and optimizing performance and battery each time... Just like the iPhone went thru.

It's gonna be tricky. One issue I see besides them not utilizing the gpu which has to hurt is that they are running at about 500mhz right? I believe the 3gs is running at 600 right to get the performance they have and amazingly with good battery performance. You've seen people posting about the 600mhz patch for pre how it runs super fast but kills battery and overheats. Palm needs to use gpu and push the CPU to 600.

My guess is... Probably will take 2nd gen pre to do it with better battery and CPU at 600 and webos 2.0 with gpu support.
    Last edited by donm527; 12/25/2009 at 11:06 PM.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    the cpu issue isn't as simple as all that and batteries seem to be luck of the draw as well.

my first (well technically second) pre had a reasonable battery life, nothing to write home about.

my next two pres (I'm bad with phones) I was lucky to enjoy great battery without skimping on the webOS potential (no options turned off etc.).

I have an extensively patched pre clocked to its full A8 600mhz and have not had to whip out my spare battery once.

performance is very pleasant but one can still see where optimization is still wanting.

all in all, I researched the pre and waited a month to buy it.

I understand what I was getting into, being an early adopter and all.

I'm invested in webOS for the long term and don't have too many complaints.

try a few patches to see if they alleviate any performance (and possibly) battery issues.

cleanupEventlisteners and 600mhz (or 550mhz) come to mind.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by rayln View Post
    the cpu issue isn't as simple as all that and batteries seem to be luck of the draw as well.

my first (well technically second) pre had a reasonable battery life, nothing to write home about.

my next two pres (I'm bad with phones) I was lucky to enjoy great battery without skimping on the webOS potential (no options turned off etc.).

I have an extensively patched pre clocked to its full A8 600mhz and have not had to whip out my spare battery once.

performance is very pleasant but one can still see where optimization is still wanting.

all in all, I researched the pre and waited a month to buy it.

I understand what I was getting into, being an early adopter and all.

I'm invested in webOS for the long term and don't have too many complaints.

try a few patches to see if they alleviate any performance (and possibly) battery issues.

cleanupEventlisteners and 600mhz (or 550mhz) come to mind.
    So... what patches are you using, and how do you clock to 600mhz since the only two scaling patches max out at 500mHz?
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    CleanupEventListeners (helps with 1.3.1 memory management)

SmartReflex 600mhz

Lower Swap Threshold (dedicates more ram for apps)

Unthrottle download manager

these are all performance related.

I have others that are feature-set related.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    That's the way it is with progress sometimes... I always use the example of my 2g iPhone... I have the 3gs with the latest sw and it rocks... Really really fast... No complaints.

My 2g I still have and have the latest sw too... They did disable some features like video record and voice command and the thing runs painfully slow! Of course it's run better with the older software but with the OS much bigger than original and now bloated with all the features that people have wanted for years... The phone is just not up to
    task.

As pre is updated and they start putting in new features, it will cause the phone to work harder and they will have to work on optimizing it... One feature or two at a time, working out the new bugs they create and optimizing performance and battery each time... Just like the iPhone went thru.

It's gonna be tricky. One issue I see besides them not utilizing the gpu which has to hurt is that they are running at about 500mhz right? I believe the 3gs is running at 600 right to get the performance they have and amazingly with good battery performance. You've seen people posting about the 600mhz patch for pre how it runs super fast but kills battery and overheats. Palm needs to use gpu and push the CPU to 600.

My guess is... Probably will take 2nd gen pre to do it with better battery and CPU at 600 and webos 2.0 with gpu support.
    I could be wrong, but doesn't the iphone have a lithium polymer battery? Lithium polymer batteries are capable of longer life and storing more energy.