Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    just switched over from the Nokia N97 and miss the widgets not too much but it wouldn't be bad the Pre had them...usefull for starting apps *quick*
    Yeah, I miss a homescreen dearly.

A useful homescreen (especially one that could be viewed while the phone is locked) is something i miss dearly. I didn't realize how often I used to take my phone out push a button and see the weather, read my calendar and see how many messages I have waiting.

I could open apps to do this, but that can take a few minutes. and I probably don't have a few minutes when I am preparing for another meeting.

nb
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenlkl@yahoo.com View Post
    Yes
    Okay, I'm rendering it out and uploading soon. I'm open to criticism and suggestions, and I'd like to remind everyone, it's still a rough concept...
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    It's still a rought concept, but...
    Here is my widget backdrop idea:
    I'm not a fan of widgets, but I suppose this could work. Well done on the animation. I quite like the swipe-the-desktop-down idea.
    With Jason's new Launcher Auto-Popup patch, your Palm Pre can now instantly pop up the Launcher when you turn on your Pre.

The iPhone-Black-Launcher theme is designed to work with this patch to make your Pre or Pixi turn on with a solid black background like the iPhone. The iPhone-Black-Launcher theme is available through Preware and PreThemer.

Our old "Homescreens" were before multi-tasking. Now with multi-tasking and this patch you can have the best of both worlds. You get your "Homescreen" Launcher but only if no other apps are running.

The most common reaction when people see this is to say that they did not know that Apple had released the next generation iPhone.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/28/2009 at 06:30 PM.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    With Jason's new Launcher Auto-Popup patch, your Palm Pre can now instantly pop up the Launcher when you turn on your Pre.

The iPhone-Black-Launcher theme is designed to work with this patch to make your Pre or Pixi turn on with a solid black background like the iPhone. The iPhone-Black-Launcher theme is available through Preware and PreThemer.

Our old "Homescreens" were before multi-tasking. Now with multi-tasking and this patch you can have the best of both worlds. You get your "Homescreen" Launcher but only if no other apps are running.

The most common reaction when people see this is to say that they did not know that Apple had released the next generation iPhone.

- Craig
    But then I don't get my beautiful wallpaper in all it's glory!
    Meh, to iPhone for me, but still, a nice option, I may check it out.
    LG Rumor -> HTC Touch -> Palm Pixi -> Palm Pre+ (if they ever bring it to Sprint)
    i very much lie the idea of the back drop screen for widgets awesome idea
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    The only thing I miss about a home screen is having a small area that tells me what today's appointments are / what conference room they are in. I don't care for having to open the Calendar card (since it's irritatingly slow, even with the 1.3.5 update) to check what meetings I have each time.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't we just create an application sort of like GeekTool (google it, I can't post links because I don't have 10 posts yet ) that can run simple terminal scripts to do all the stuff we want. I feel that widgets could really compliment the Pre, even simple stuff as just having the weather up or calendar appointments. All that stuff would be a pretty simple script to code as long as you have a program like GeekTool to run. I haven't really looked at how anything is coded for the Pre yet, but I'm pretty sure if I do get a Pre or WebOS phone I would definitely look into doing this if someone doesn't do it before me.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeratain View Post
    The only thing I miss about a home screen is having a small area that tells me what today's appointments are / what conference room they are in. I don't care for having to open the Calendar card (since it's irritatingly slow, even with the 1.3.5 update) to check what meetings I have each time.
    Well, that could be a widget which fits perfectly back with the concept video.
    Quote Originally Posted by biggnaa20 View Post
    Yeah, I miss a homescreen dearly.

A useful homescreen (especially one that could be viewed while the phone is locked) is something i miss dearly. I didn't realize how often I used to take my phone out push a button and see the weather, read my calendar and see how many messages I have waiting.

I could open apps to do this, but that can take a few minutes. and I probably don't have a few minutes when I am preparing for another meeting.

nb
    +1.

When I bought the Pre... I assumed this would be an easy dev project since everything was "web based" in css, javascript, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    With Jason's new Launcher Auto-Popup patch,

- Craig
    Hi Craig,

I disagree that multitasking trumps the use/need for a homescreen. There are certain items that I would like to be able to see at a seconds notice (Weather, calendar, email messages). In the current WebOS world, I can open up each app and have them sitting up as cards, but that still takes a few minutes to set up that way.

I could deal with that if there were some way to see a few of my most needed items through the lock screen.

Example: I am often in meetings and need info before I head to the next one. I got used to being able to look on my HTC Touch Pro (with Slide2Unlock), push the power button and see a screen with the time, my next appointment, and emails/sms/voicemails and if it looked like I'd be driving to the airport in rain or sunshine. With the current Pre set up, I would have to open the keyboard, type in my password, open the apps (if I forgot to before) and flick to three different screens.

I guess I got used to the utility of it...

nb
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLipson View Post
    It's still a rought concept, but...
    Here is my widget backdrop idea:
    Very cool concept would hope to see this or some variantion show up on the Pre one day. Maybe even using the down swipe gesture.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234