Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1.    #1  
    For Christmas my children are getting several Blu-Ray movies that come with digital copies. I would like to put some of them on my Pre just because I can. Of course Disney locks down the digital copies and I can only copy it to my laptop once. I have to choose between two formats, iTunes and Windows Media Player. I have a Windows machine and no iTunes, so Windows Media seems like the best choice, but since I only get one shot I wanted to see what people's thoughts were. Does anyone have any experience with Blu-Ray digital copies? Is it worth creating and iTunes account just for these movies? How do my people put movies on there Pre? My wife has a Pre as well, I doubt the movies will ever go there, but I would like to keep my options open. Thanks for the help.
  2. #2  
    How big are these "digital copies" I have used programs to "shink" some of my owned standard movies and one blu-ray. For a screen the size the pre has, would not make better since to just go standard and convert it for a pre size. the size of the file would be much smaller and there would be no difference in picture quality on the little pre screen.

    Look for a PM to you.
  3. #3  
    The digital copies have DRM, I believe, which would mean that they won't play on the Pre.
  4. fraz's Avatar
    Posts
    247 Posts
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    #4  
    Most of my blu-ray digital copies only work for itunes or wmv format. I think the sony brand blu-rays work for the psp only.
  5. #5  
    Make sure you set the screen size for 480x270 for the HD(16:9) dimensions. or 480 x 205 for widescreen film 2.35:1 when you convert.
  6. Xyg
    Xyg is offline
    Xyg's Avatar
    Posts
    1,104 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #6  
    You gotta strip out that DRM, brotha.
  7.    #7  
    okay, so what program do you all use to get your purchased DVD's onto your Pre?
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingle1911 View Post
    okay, so what program do you all use to get your purchased DVD's onto your Pre?
    read the PM I sent you.

    Then hook up by USB and transfer the file
    Last edited by Finally Pre; 12/25/2009 at 02:24 PM.
  9. #9  
    The digital downloads that can be downloaded with Blu-ray disc purchases are not Blu-ray hi-def copies, but are standard definition copies. I've got several movies that I've downloaded that way, and their size is between 1.0 and 1.5gb per movie. HP & Half Blood Prince was 1.3gb, Angels and Demons was 1.4gb. I downloaded via iTunes for my iPods.



    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    How big are these "digital copies" I have used programs to "shink" some of my owned standard movies and one blu-ray. For a screen the size the pre has, would not make better since to just go standard and convert it for a pre size. the size of the file would be much smaller and there would be no difference in picture quality on the little pre screen.

    Look for a PM to you.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)



    "When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  10. #11  
    I need a mac compatible drm remover
  11. #12  
    this whole digital copy thing needs some updating to support more devices... If you don't have an ipod you seem out of luck. It's like saying a dvd ccan be used on a sony dvd player, but not a sayno. I understand they want copyright protection, but they need to find another way to do it. Another issue is if someone partitions or restores to factory settings. They loose the movie unless they ised itunes, and what if they get a new pc? Drm is becoming a blockade for the future of watching movies somone who can create a better way would be rich.
  12. #13  
    Cucusoft Video Converter, DVD to ipod,iPad,iPhone,Zune Video Converter. Paid software, but rockin awesome for the Pre (and iPhone etc.)
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  13. #14  
    DVD Fab they are the first with updates and will convert more file formats than any of the other software out there. If you can find a free software that works for you great. I will tell you that this is a paid software that even offers a lifetime option. I have used this software for several years now and have even posted questions to the programmer with rapid replies. For everyone else out there using other products. There is a free version of DVD FAb. Give it a shot and see what you think. Don't tell me the results. I know what you will say.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

    HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
  14. #15  
    does it bypas copyrights so you can use any movie?
  15. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    does it bypas copyrights so you can use any movie?
    Go to the website link and check the forum there. I don't think I can talk about that here. I can tell you that it will back up ANY DVD you own.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

    HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
  16. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    Go to the website link and check the forum there. I don't think I can talk about that here. I can tell you that it will back up ANY DVD you own.
    It is entirely legal (as I understand it) to copy your own purchased blu-ray movie for your own use. Do a quick google search on copying blu ray movies. You will need DVDFab HD decrypter (free trial that can be reinstalled and reused) to rip the movie and remove copy protections, and RipBot264 (free) to convert. It will convert to any format you want. But keep in mind, that if you want to convert a movie such as Avatar at maximum quality, it will take about 20 hours on my triple-core PC. So you need a fast computer. If you are on a Pentium anything, don't bother.
  17. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    Go to the website link and check the forum there. I don't think I can talk about that here. I can tell you that it will back up ANY DVD you own.
    k that's all I want to know. I totally understand laws, but I believe when you own something you should be able to watch it on whatever you want and not have to buy three different versions of the same movie only ro find that the digital one is limited to ipods only. don't get me wrong, if I had my ipod toch I'd use that but it's gone and am waiting to see what the next gen one is like. however I'd like to have a movie or two on my pre when they release a higher gig device
  18. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
    It is entirely legal (as I understand it) to copy your own purchased blu-ray movie for your own use. Do a quick google search on copying blu ray movies. You will need DVDFab HD decrypter (free trial that can be reinstalled and reused) to rip the movie and remove copy protections, and RipBot264 (free) to convert. It will convert to any format you want. But keep in mind, that if you want to convert a movie such as Avatar at maximum quality, it will take about 20 hours on my triple-core PC. So you need a fast computer. If you are on a Pentium anything, don't bother.
    The time can be a pain. I use a quad core server and it still takes about an hour. DVDFab HD is free. The program I use for ipod and mobile is DVDFab "DVD-Mobile". You can set it to the lower quality that a small screen like the Pre uses. It is one step and faster. You can also scale back the bit rate for the audio. In the end even a Blue Ray movie is very small in file size.

    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    k that's all I want to know. I totally understand laws, but I believe when you own something you should be able to watch it on whatever you want and not have to buy three different versions of the same movie only ro find that the digital one is limited to ipods only. don't get me wrong, if I had my ipod toch I'd use that but it's gone and am waiting to see what the next gen one is like. however I'd like to have a movie or two on my pre when they release a higher gig device
    You own the movies so just convert them. I have several already converted on my PC and just swap one or two at a time with the pre. The issue Sony and the other movie companies worry about more is when a person copies a movie to give to others. That my friend is where you will get in trouble. Good luck and don't forget to use the DVD Fab forums. You will find every answer you need there on converting for a portable device like the Pre. Here is the main link to DVDfab, the forum and the dvd-mobile section.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

    HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
  19. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    The time can be a pain. I use a quad core server and it still takes about an hour. DVDFab HD is free. The program I use for ipod and mobile is DVDFab "DVD-Mobile". You can set it to the lower quality that a small screen like the Pre uses. It is one step and faster. You can also scale back the bit rate for the audio. In the end even a Blue Ray movie is very small in file size.

    You own the movies so just convert them. I have several already converted on my PC and just swap one or two at a time with the pre. The issue Sony and the other movie companies worry about more is when a person copies a movie to give to others. That my friend is where you will get in trouble. Good luck and don't forget to use the DVD Fab forums. You will find every answer you need there on converting for a portable device like the Pre. Here is the main link to DVDfab, the forum and the dvd-mobile section.
    Yea, I forgot about the various options in DVDFab. I've only used the blu-ray to blu-ray option. The reason I use RipBot afterward is to re-encode in H.264. At full resolution, 2-pass conversion at 9000 bit rate, and 5.1 ch AC3 audio, a typical blu-ray movie conversion takes about 14 hours on my PC. That can certainly be cut down considerably for smaller screens at lower quality.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions