1.    #1  
    Alright y'all I'm new here and i'm lost.... it's HUGE in here. I read a few turtoials but still dont have my answer. I just got a Pre today, its not activated, and its on the sign-in screen. How can I "Hacktivate" it, so to speak, so i can mess around in the menu. I know theres a non-root method for installing software, but from reading, it looks like i have to root to hacktivate it first since i dont have service with Sprint. I have VERY little knowledge of Linux other than Android. I rooted my G1 I use to have. I now have the Archos 5 Android Internet Tablet, which out of the box, doesnt feature the "Google experience," like the market for example, and i've learned how to push the google apps to that device. But both of those examples were done on Windows, I didnt have to even touch Linux in any shape or form... not even a simple live cd. Other than Android I've jailbroken plenty of iPhones, of course we all know thats not Linux-based. I'm running Windows 7 64-Bit if that helps! Anyway if anyone can help me It would be very appreciated, thank all!
    You bought a Pre without service??

To "hacktivate" look here....http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ta-doctor.html
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    There is no way to get past the activation screen without hacking the phone.
    ---Pretend that every single person you meet has a sign around his or her neck that says, "Make me feel important." Not only will you succeed in sales, you will succeed in life.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxLOL View Post
    There is no way to get past the activation screen without hacking the phone.
    Yea I know that, but to hack the phone am i able to use the easy non-root method or do I have to use the root method. Im trying to by-pass the sign-in screen to the main menu as i want to get into installing program. I'm running Windows 7 64-Bit so if i have to root is there a method for windows?
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by portcitypetino View Post
    Yea I know that, but to hack the phone am i able to use the easy non-root method or do I have to use the root method. Im trying to by-pass the sign-in screen to the main menu as i want to get into installing program. I'm running Windows 7 64-Bit so if i have to root is there a method for windows?
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    You bought a Pre without service??

To "hacktivate" look here....http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ta-doctor.html
    read ryleyinstl's suggestion.
    ---Pretend that every single person you meet has a sign around his or her neck that says, "Make me feel important." Not only will you succeed in sales, you will succeed in life.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxLOL View Post
    read ryleyinstl's suggestion.
    I'm going through it as we speak, but I'm not seeing where to download the program anywere?
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    I'm going through it as we speak, but I'm not seeing where to download the program anywere?
    keep reading. it isn't going to be easy.
    You can find this tool in the WebOS Internals source code repository at git.webos-internals.org Git - tools/meta-doctor.git/summary

That said, trying to use a Palm Pre without Sprint service is going to be more trouble than it's worth....not to mention they have the best prices on cellular plans these days.
  9.    #9  
    Thanks for all the replys Max and Ryley, yes Max i have read ryleyinstl's suggestion but I still dont see the download link what do i need to click?
  10.    #10  
    Alright well after two weeks, I got my Pre rooted and flashed to Cricket! So, now.... I got a couple more questions concerning mainly the App Catalog. I don't have the phone activated yet (waiting for my AT&T plan to expire), but when I try to connect to the app catalog via WiFi it tells me its unavailable. Even though I have an active wifi connection, does the phone HAVE to have service to access the App Catalog? If yes, does it HAVE to be Sprint service or any compatible cellular service... like Cricket?
    I'm pretty sure it makes a difference... Considering Euro Pre's don't get as many apps as US ones. But hey, that could be something completely different. But like other people have said.. is it really worth the trouble?