Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I'm a lurker & have been since PreCentral got up & running, as you can see by my post count. I am looking for advice/pointers on how to get Best Buy to honor their Price Match Guarantee.

First, a bit of background to get you up to speed. I have been following the Pre since the CES announcement last January. I REALLY would like this phone to replace my Centro, however my health has wreaked havoc on my finances & so have only one shot at a Pre. My sister & I are both already on Sprint & to save money will be merging our two accounts. I have been with Sprint for 9 years & she has been for about 5 years. We're all eligible (niece is already on sister's account) for full phone upgrades.

I live in Lincoln, NE & last Sunday Nebraska Furniture Mart had a sales flier that advertised the Pre for $49.99 for both new & upgrade purchases (yes, I read the fine print to be sure). The price is good until midnight Christmas Eve. The problem with this is that Nebraska Furniture Mart is in Omaha, NE & we are currently experiencing freezing rain & the potential for another foot of snow over the next few days.

I want to go to Best Buy & have them apply the Price Match Guarantee. Driving across town while somewhat treacherous, is not as bad as driving 60 miles to Omaha. I think my best arguement is that the sales flier was in the Lincoln Journal Star. I think their best arguement is that Omaha doesn't fall into the "local marketing area", as noted on their website. I think it should fall into the marketing area, because people in Lincoln drive to Omaha all the time for a better price. Heck, I've known people clear on the other end of the state (at least 5 1/2 hours away) to go to Nebraska Furniture Mart for a good deal. However, I've read that they can be kinda difficult about honoring the Price Match & with such a substantial markdown are not likely to want to honor it if they can wiggle out of it.

I'm hoping for any advice or pointers for the most persuasive arguement to use on Best Buy's staff if they prove difficult in honoring the price match guarantee. Otherwise, thanks to the weather, I'll be getting a Blackberry Curve 8330. I understand it's a good phone, but I've had my heart set on a Pre for a long time so can't help but look at the Curve as a little disappointing. However, I also can't in good conscience expect my sister to pay $100 or more for a X-mas gift. I'm not THAT selfish.

Soooo...can anyone help?
    Why not call Best Buy and inquire? If you can get someone to agree to the price match over the phone, get his or her name. A manager would be best.

Maybe I am missing something...
    I ♥ my Pre.
    First of all, don't bring up the BlackBerry idea to Best Buy. They sell BlackBerrys, and selling you a different phone would be much easier on them than going the extra mile to honor a (possibly) out of shopping area vendor.

Secondly, you need to negotiate from a power position, and the only way to do that is to have a backup plan that excludes Best Buy completely (which is why the BlackBerry plan shouldn't be brought up). What I would recommend is to call the Furniture store, and explain to them that you don't want to drive the treacherous streets. Ask them if they would do one of the following for you:
    • Honor the ad after the streets clear up
    • Sell it to you over the phone using a credit card (or electronic bank funds)

Assuming you get a yes on one of these, now you can go into Best Buy confident that you can get a Pre for that price. (There is also another option, which I'll cover in a minute)

The next thing is that even though finances are tight, put together a plan for everything you think you'll need (that Best Buy sells), and figure out how much of that stuff you can afford right now. Accessories are a typcially a higher profit item for retail stores than the phone itself.

Then, go to the store, and let them know, you are going to buy the Pre from someone that day. Be polite and firm, and be prepared to walk out with nothing from Best Buy, but let them know you'd rather buy from them. Point out all of the following:
    • You can buy it today for $49
    • You would rather buy it from a local store where you can continue to buy accessories
    • You will buy it elsewhere if you need to

Offer to let them call the furniture store to confirm the price. Let them know you want to buy $XX in accessories at the same time.

If they dont budge, ask to speak to the manager (it will probalby be a department manager, but that's OK). Repeat all of the above, and politely tell him that the spirit of price guarantees is to bring in business that would otherwise go elsewhere, and you are ready to go elsewhere.

If that totally fails, and you really don't want to buy it from the furniture store via one of the methods mentioned above; you do have one other option. If you are completely out of contract, Best Buy is currently offering the Pre for $79.95 for new contracts. Sign up a new line, add it to your current one. Go home and call Sprint and switch your Centro number to the Pre. The next day, cancel the Centro line. That's $30 more, but will save you a long drive.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McKathryn View Post
    Why not call Best Buy and inquire? If you can get someone to agree to the price match over the phone, get his or her name. A manager would be best.

Maybe I am missing something...
    My sister & I have both tried calling the store, but it rings & rings & no one answers. I presume the normal staff that would answer are busy dealing with people in the CS line in store, due to Christmas sales. I stayed on the phone letting it ring almost 10 minutes myself (9 & some odd seconds).

That's why I'm looking to see if anyone has anything to add to my "case" (so to speak), so that we have the best chance of being successful.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    First of all, don't bring up the BlackBerry idea to Best Buy. They sell BlackBerrys, and selling you a different phone would be much easier on them than going the extra mile to honor a (possibly) out of shopping area vendor.

Secondly, you need to negotiate from a power position, and the only way to do that is to have a backup plan that excludes Best Buy completely (which is why the BlackBerry plan shouldn't be brought up). What I would recommend is to call the Furniture store, and explain to them that you don't want to drive the treacherous streets. Ask them if they would do one of the following for you:
    • Honor the ad after the streets clear up
    • Sell it to you over the phone using a credit card (or electronic bank funds)

Assuming you get a yes on one of these, now you can go into Best Buy confident that you can get a Pre for that price. (There is also another option, which I'll cover in a minute)

The next thing is that even though finances are tight, put together a plan for everything you think you'll need (that Best Buy sells), and figure out how much of that stuff you can afford right now. Accessories are a typcially a higher profit item for retail stores than the phone itself.

Then, go to the store, and let them know, you are going to buy the Pre from someone that day. Be polite and firm, and be prepared to walk out with nothing from Best Buy, but let them know you'd rather buy from them. Point out all of the following:
    • You can buy it today for $49
    • You would rather buy it from a local store where you can continue to buy accessories
    • You will buy it elsewhere if you need to

Offer to let them call the furniture store to confirm the price. Let them know you want to buy $XX in accessories at the same time.

If they dont budge, ask to speak to the manager (it will probalby be a department manager, but that's OK). Repeat all of the above, and politely tell him that the spirit of price guarantees is to bring in business that would otherwise go elsewhere, and you are ready to go elsewhere.

If that totally fails, and you really don't want to buy it from the furniture store via one of the methods mentioned above; you do have one other option. If you are completely out of contract, Best Buy is currently offering the Pre for $79.95 for new contracts. Sign up a new line, add it to your current one. Go home and call Sprint and switch your Centro number to the Pre. The next day, cancel the Centro line. That's $30 more, but will save you a long drive.

Thank you!! Those are excellent points & some good suggestions. I'm hoping that I'm worrying for nothing & it will all go smoothly, but usually take the approach of "hope for the best, prepare for the worst".
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Well, we've returned from Best Buy & was turned down flat, even by the manager. I won't say they were rude, but they were not willing to listen or consider how they have not just lost a sale here, but in the future. Earlier in the year, I replaced an aging PC with a new laptop & got a new 3-in-1 printer through that store. While it's true that I couldn't have gotten this particular configuration on the laptop anywhere else, I could easily have waited for a lower price on the printer to post on Newegg. My finances are tight now, but as I work to improve my circumstances & cash flow, they won't always be so bad. I'm not so upset about the fact that they refused me, just considering how they wouldn't listen & were blunt/dismissive makes me rethink my willingness to give them my business.

On the bright side, my sister had played a bit with a co-worker's BB Curve a few days ago & today had a chance to play a bit with the Palm Pre at the Sprint store while we combined our accounts for now. She seemed to like the ease of use vs. the BB & is now open to the idea of waiting to make a purchase to see what the sale prices look like after Christmas-Valentine's Day. She also seems willing to pay a bit more than $50 for a phone that's easy to use. So, if the prices dip below $100 again, I think I may still get the phone I've been drooling over. **crossing my fingers & toes**...