1.    #1  
    Answer: Roll back to 1.2.1

I've been holding off on going back to 1.2 because I figured the POS that was 1.3 would have an update right around the corner. Now that it seems clear we won't get an update until mid January, I finally bit the bullet and oh man was it worth it. Haven't had a single restart yet and phone responsiveness is out the roof in comparison.

For anyone else interested, here's how to do it.

1) Snag the 1.2.1 WebOS Doctor (Sprint version)
    2) Connect your Pre in USB Drive mode and back up everything on it.
    3) Run the Doctor
    4) Get to a shell prompt somehow and block automatic updates
    Code:
    cd /usr/bin
    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod -x UpdateDaemon
    mount -o remount,ro /
    killall UpdateDaemon
    5) Restore your USB drive contents and all your homebrew patches, etc.

Enjoy your much more responsive phone. Remember, this blocks automatic OTA updating to prevent the phone from immediately rolling back to 1.3, so when the next WebOS update comes out you'll either need to undo Step 4 or else just use the latest WebOS Doctor.

If you're happy with 1.3 or not particularly technically inclined, don't do this. On the other hand if 1.3 has been a nightmare, you might be interested in rolling back to 1.2; it's been a night and day difference for several people.

Edit:
    IMPORTANT NOTE: DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU STORE YOUR CONTACTS IN THE PALM PROFILE; YOU RISK LOSING THEM TO A BUG. If you use Google or an Exchange server, you're fine.
    I considered this a lot too, but the improved charging makes a huge difference to me since I have cheap chargers. I no longer have to close apps to make them work. However, I was about to lose it with 1.3.1 and had to do something.

So, I doctored to 1.3.1 and saw a huge improvement in responsiveness and stability. Some of the stupid bugs like cut off notification sounds are still there, but the phone is usable again. Its been 4 days and the phone still runs pretty good even hacked all over.
    The problem is that the things they fixed in 1.3.1 were things I needed. The main one being google contacts syncing to just 'my contacts', followed closely by yahoo integration.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Oooh, oooh, me, me!!!

Get a new non-webOS phone?
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    I have been debating doing this myself. The biggest question on my mind is can I back up and restore my call history/text messages/contacts stored in PalmDatabase.db3 on the previous version of WebOS without issues?
    A couple of times I have rolled back to 1.2.1 just cause it was critical for it not to fail. Going back to 1.3.1 afterwards has ALWAYS yielded within that day the device leaks memory and restarts luna out of the blue.
    I doctored right to 1.3.1 on sunday and have had no restars and the lag has been much improved. I've only wanted to throw the phone once since sunday as opposed to 10 times a day before that.