Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by laze View Post
    Quality as determined by the target audience - we should be able to vote an application out of the App Catalog. For this to work a method to minimise abuse would need to be developed.
    But popularity does not equate to quality either.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    But why do we need another platform for apps when there's already the iPhone?
    The same reason we still need the neighborhood grocery store when there is Walmart. Competition is a good thing and not everyone wants an iPhone. Some people like to do to more then one thing at a time on their phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    But why do we need another platform for apps when there's already the iPhone?
    I like what you (sarcastically) said! Personally, I think many people are beginning to see through Apple's "cult-ish" mentality and see the usefulness in other phones. Verizon's anti-AT&T commercials are really driving home the point that there are other (and for many, better) alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Very nice. It's another way of saying what i've been trying to. The apps will come as will sdk evolvement. ...

Marketing by showing off webOS's strengths would be a good start for Palm. But that window of time is shrinking. There's room to be aggressive later.
    Absolutely. The best way to get both "quality" and "quantity" is to provide a richer API. They need to do this (perhaps in the form of a WebOS 2.0 release) sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by strudel View Post
    The same reason we still need the neighborhood grocery store when there is Walmart. Competition is a good thing and not everyone wants an iPhone. Some people like to do to more then one thing at a time on their phones.
    Maybe this analogy applies (but only in limited ways). Walmart competes primarily on price (while taking advantage of both their suppliers and employees). Our "giant" does not compete on price. In both sides of the analogy, the giants have a tendency to knock out or obscure the "little guys" and that neighborhood grocery store never wins but instead just manages to stay in business because they are smarter than the big guys. The little guy's strategy is to stay alive while the big guys strategy is to dominate, so in that respect I see some similarities. In the case of cell phones and smart devices, the barrier to entry is greater and even the weak players are much better established. Because of this, I think there are still opportunities to see some giants get slain!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    For what its worth - If we can approximate the way old PALM OS apps were handled, distibuted and priced, then it'll all be OK. Trial periods on more expensive apps are a greatway to give an app a chance of being tried before jumpin in. If we consider how we use most apps not related to work, I think we'll see they're used to fill in those 5 minutes of downtime we have each day. Those are your free or cheaper apps that will make money on volumn sales. The work stuff will be more niche, but will still make money on how well it fills its niche.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    A good implementation of the voting system would promote carefully considered voting, that, and popularity always has a basis.
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
    us the consumers want quality, while stock holders and media want quanity

plainly put
    i1000+ -> i90 -> i530 -> i730 -> i530 -> i730 -> i560 -> i930 -> i215 -> i860 -> i930 -> i860 -> i870 -> i880 -> i870 -> i850 -> i870 -> i830 -> i9 -> Pre
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by franky_402 View Post
    us the consumers want quality, while stock holders and media want quanity

plainly put
    I like that. I haven't thought of it that way, and i think you're right.
    in the past i said quantity will bring about quality... and i guess when referring to quality we are talking about getting the established developers that have the already popular and desireable apps to develop for palm... and it also means that you will also get the big business and industry to see palm as a platform to market themselves by bringing apps to palm such as movie companies (avatar), big business such as banks, fedex, cisco, ups, etc.

palm apps are in the hundreds now... slowly but steadily growing... but still hasnt attracted the big companies and the quality apps... no skype support yet, no adobe photoshop app, i can go on...

thinking quantity is not going to do it... it comes down to the phone itself... it's not a hot phone and not just going against iphone, you now have android burning hot with not just the droid but the hero and eris over different carriers and reaching a ton of people and the upcoming nexus... the palm is not a hot phone. and it is sorely crippled with no gpu support, no open gl support and a lack of a robust sdk and lacking many standard features. and most importantly... the pre/pixi is not a hot phone.

thinking it's going to take second gen pre... and that means this phone has to have everything... to be able to compete with the competitors. i'm not talking iphone 3GS or droid... i'm talking 4th generation iphone that you know it gonna have new stuff and nexus and android 2.0+.

the 1st gen pre versus 3yo iphone or 2nd gen android excuse... even though true it's an excuse that will not cut it anymore. i hope palm has been very quiet of late because they are going to surprise with 2nd gen pre and go straight to 2.0.

i think its not a bad guess to say they were really a year behind in releasing webos but just had no choice. think also good guess to say appstore was just an idea on paper and alpha at best. second gen pre they really have to be all there.

quality apps... palm needs to have a finished phone with all the features of others and sell the heck out of it. webos fancy looking os as it is now is not enough.
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I agree. Look how popular your local .99 store is. Dollar stores sell junk. There's nothing of quality in them. But, for some reason, they're popular.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    I agree. Look how popular your local .99 store is. Dollar stores sell junk. There's nothing of quality in them. But, for some reason, they're popular.
    I think this is the wrong model to emulate. No one would attribute the iPhone app experience to a dollar store experience. It is a premium phone with a premium experience. It is not positioned as the Dollar General of phones. You might put Symbian in that category, or even some WinMo devices. Palm does not want to be in that group.

In addition to getting quality apps, Palm needs name brand apps. Now that there is a such thing as a mobile app ecosystem, Palm needs at least the same popular apps that are available for the iPhone. It says something when developers who write their apps for multiple platforms avoid WebOS. Not only does Palm need the same apps, those apps need to be on par with the iPhone version. You can say how much you like your Facebook app all you want. But when someone does an A/B comparison to the iPhone Facebook app, it will be clear that the WebOS experience is not up to par.

Finally, Palm needs to reach more than parity. Parity makes you another me too device. That is not particularly compelling. Palm needs some type of app that takes advantage of a unique feature of the OS. People need to see some sort of advantage or selling point of the platform. Otherwise, there is no reason to choose it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I think this is the wrong model to emulate. No one would attribute the iPhone app experience to a dollar store experience. It is a premium phone with a premium experience. It is not positioned as the Dollar General of phones.
    I understand your point, but I disagree in how it applies to the App Store (and to the App Catalog).

I like the .99 store becase when my daughters were younger, I could hand them $5 and say "get 5 things you want". I still do it with my grand-daughter that lives with us.

That's what the Apps outlets (for the most part) have become. Grab anything you want. If you don't like it, no big loss.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I think this is the wrong model to emulate. No one would attribute the iPhone app experience to a dollar store experience. It is a premium phone with a premium experience. It is not positioned as the Dollar General of phones. You might put Symbian in that category, or even some WinMo devices. Palm does not want to be in that group.

In addition to getting quality apps, Palm needs name brand apps. Now that there is a such thing as a mobile app ecosystem, Palm needs at least the same popular apps that are available for the iPhone. It says something when developers who write their apps for multiple platforms avoid WebOS. Not only does Palm need the same apps, those apps need to be on par with the iPhone version. You can say how much you like your Facebook app all you want. But when someone does an A/B comparison to the iPhone Facebook app, it will be clear that the WebOS experience is not up to par.

Finally, Palm needs to reach more than parity. Parity makes you another me too device. That is not particularly compelling. Palm needs some type of app that takes advantage of a unique feature of the OS. People need to see some sort of advantage or selling point of the platform. Otherwise, there is no reason to choose it.
    If Palm does get it's games on par, then they already have the advantage. A keyboard.

I'm an iphone owner but I don't download games beyond the simple ones. No buttons. What's the point? Your fingers cover the eye candy.

Apple needs to improve that screen which looks blurry compared to the Droid, upcoming Nexus, and even the Pre. And a keyboard if gaming will be their focus. And multitasking. And notifications (total junk on the iphone as is). And synergy. No integrated email or messaging..

What's apple's advantage going to be when apps start to be equal on different platforms? I wouldn't have an eye on Palm if Apple didn't have so much of their own work to do.
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Okay, after reading yesterday's article on the front page, i thought (there i go thinking again ) that this would be great for a thread:
    Do you think it's more important to just get as many apps out to us as possible, so it looks like there's some kind of movement?
    Or should the emphasis be on quality?
    If you think the emphasis should be on quality, who do you think should determine what quality actually is, and where should the line be drawn?
    I made this thread last December. We now have somewhere near 3000 apps. We know now that the catalog has chosen the path called "Quantity", instead of "Quality".

Do you think things coulda/woulda/shoulda been done differently?
    Is it too late to recapture the antici... anticip...... anticipation that we had a few months ago? Did too many people give up waiting? Does it make a difference? Will the Knicks ever win the NBA title again?
    it's not that the catalog has chosen quantity instead of quality. 3000 apps is not quantity.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Well, we're low on both aspects.
    Actually we are low on three aspects: Not a lot of application, not many good useful application, and no good phone for those applications, even if they existed....
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-usp45 View Post
    Actually we are low on three aspects: Not a lot of application, not many good useful application, and no good phone for those applications, even if they existed....
    I'm very happy with my phone (Pre-), thank you. (Even though it may not be the latest and greatest)
    Quote Originally Posted by ••dbdoinit View Post
    Hey, I love my .99 stores! Haha, seriously. Anyone can pay 5xs more for the same item found there. I give a lot of parties and this is the first place I stop by to see what's there.

As far as quality vs. quantity. I like both! I like great apps, but I also don't know what I will like or will actually use until I try it.

Some people are utilitarian users and others want to see how an app can improve or increase the enjoyment and usage of their smartphone.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    i am a new palm user, i just use it around the home for music and podcasts

i used to use a succession of ipod touch's and i used them a lot ..

the podcast software, drpodder beats anything that apple has by a mile

and i have 2 radio apps, internet radio and tune in which are better than 90% of the radio apps on ipod and both are free so i am very impressed with the quality of palm apps so far

if we could just get a music player with gapless playback, that would be a home run

and the pre headphone are the best stock headphones i have ever tried from any phone or mp3 player ...

don't forget that html5 will be a game changer for many sites that have a lot of data that changes quickly ... apps will not be the way to go if many sites start to build high quality html5 oriented sites .. it will be a lot quicker to visit your favorites sites from a web browser than an app
    Last edited by X500; 01/10/2011 at 01:43 PM. Reason: add about html5
    I think quantity is overrated. What is starting to effect me is the big apps we don't get. Espn app, sirius app, when we are missing apps like those, they are the times as a smartphone my loyalty starts to wain.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast