Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I think I read about it before, but I can't find that. I've had my QWERTZ GSM Pre for a while now, however I wasn't in the Netherlands til yesterday - when I discovered that it will not go on Vodafone's 3G, and simply refuses to accept my manual APN (both live.vodafone.com and office.vodafone.com fail).

Am I doing something wrong / forgetting something, or does Vodafone simply not support the right frequencies here?

-edit
    Also GPRS doesn't work as a fallback, so only Wifi. Phone itself does work, texting does work as well, MMS not tested.
    My Palm History (in order): IIIe SE, m130, Tungsten|T, m505, Tungsten|T3, Zire 71, m505 (owned two different ones), Zire 72, Tungsten|C, T|X, Treo 650.
    After that I got a Apple iPhone 3G, Palm Pre (GSM), Google Nexus One.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xioq View Post
    I think I read about it before, but I can't find that. I've had my QWERTZ GSM Pre for a while now, however I wasn't in the Netherlands til yesterday - when I discovered that it will not go on Vodafone's 3G, and simply refuses to accept my manual APN (both live.vodafone.com and office.vodafone.com fail).

Am I doing something wrong / forgetting something, or does Vodafone simply not support the right frequencies here?

-edit
    Also GPRS doesn't work as a fallback, so only Wifi. Phone itself does work, texting does work as well, MMS not tested.
    http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...-1-3-1-uk.html

I've got the same problem. Some APN's (like Vodafone NL) simply don't work in 1.3.1. They do work in 1.2.1, so it must be a bug. I'm currently using 1.2.1, since 1.3.1 isn't that different anyway.

Some people say you should insert a sim from a different provider, set the vodafone APN settings and switch the sim to vodafone again. Don't know exactly, haven't tried it yet since I don't have another sim (and I would have to upgrade for the 20th time ).

-edit
    Most reports, including mine, indicate that a vodafone Business account works (which also means you should use office.vodafone.nl as an APN, mind the NL part instead of COM). But the personal Vodafone NL accounts: not so lucky.

In my case: I inserted the Vodafone SIM (Business account), powered the pre on: immediately working (no manual setup necessary). I even activated the device over Vodafone 3G.
  4.    #4  
    Hm, that's not great news seeing I don't have a business account. And I also don't have a different SIM to change the settings first. Maybe I should just dr. it to 1.2.1 (but that would be the Sprint doctor then right?)

Hope they'll resolve it soon.. this isn't really what I wanted haha
    My Palm History (in order): IIIe SE, m130, Tungsten|T, m505, Tungsten|T3, Zire 71, m505 (owned two different ones), Zire 72, Tungsten|C, T|X, Treo 650.
    The different-SIM card solution does not work either. Tried it with a (working) t-mobile one.

-edit
    Hey, I have the same problem in Sweden but with my provider Tele2 Sweden. MMS dont work for me and neither does 3G, it refuses to accept my settings. It did so in both 1.2.1 and 1.3.1.

I wonder if you can run the quick tests under Device info - Preference - Quick tests, I am asking you this because I was on the phone with a Palm technical support rep. and he asked me to try that test which gave me an issue with the connected to the modem, it was code 1000 and code 1000 seems to say that its "non-provisioned phone".

I wonder if you get the same thing?
  7.    #7  
    Just tested it and got a "Code 20" but I do not know what that exactly menas though..
    Just tested it and got a "Code 20" but I do not know what that exactly menas though..
    Hi, I checked what 20 means.

Code 20: Modem issue
    no data connection

Actions that Palm reps are advised to take when in contact with a costumer that gets this error is:

"1. Check to see if customer is roaming. If they are, advise them they need to be in Sprint coverage for a data connection to work.

2. Verify there are no known network issues.

3. Turn Airplane mode on and then back off

4. Run Quick Tests again to see if error occurs

5. If the error occurs again, advise customer to perform a Partial Erase

6. Run Quick Tests again to see if error occurs

7. If the error occurs again, advise the customer to run the Recovery Tool

8. Run Quick Tests again to see if error occurs

9. If it occurs again, exchange the phone and note error code in account"
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    Vodafone NL zuigt...
    If you're gonna swear, at least do it in English

Actually, It's not necessarily Vodafone NL that "seems to be engaging in oral sex". It might just be Palm's handling of Vodafone NL's configurations.
    Am getting error code 20 as well, at least steps upto 6 do'nt help (and I wasn't expecting them to help). Flashing a new rom I'm hesitant about, as a few apps I've installed haven't yet re-appeared in the app catalog...
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Vodafone NL zuigt...
    Is that even your own baby...
  12.    #12  
    Those steps don't work for me, but if people claim it does work on 1.2.1 that says would probably mean pointing fingers at Palm for something. But that's ok, if there's nothing I can do I'll just see if I can't doctor it to 1.2.1 or something. If i can't get internets on the go I could just as well use my Motorola Motofone F3..
    Quote Originally Posted by ozuzo View Post
    Am getting error code 20 as well, at least steps upto 6 do'nt help (and I wasn't expecting them to help). Flashing a new rom I'm hesitant about, as a few apps I've installed haven't yet re-appeared in the app catalog...
    I got error code 1000 and that cant be good either. I have tried everything. Even on the 1.2.1, the thing is that the settings in my case are correct from the get go. So it should be working, but I cant get MMS to work...Americans, typical, same bull**** with the Iphone. But atleast when you put in the settings manually on the iphone they worked, pre doesnt even want that to work.
  14.    #14  
    Everyone's getting code 20 because there's something terribly wrong with the modem. But that's not the cause of any GPRS problems, because mine just works fine. It may be due to the Pre sometimes pulling data out of other db3 files than the ones you've edited. Or perhaps post-crash restore of messback db3 files with older (incorrect) settings?
    Just for the record, I have not edited any database. Only using the official Manual Input for APN settings, which it refuses to accept. My Pre is a O2 (German) phone, which is unlocked. So I am also not using a Rebelsim or anything similar. I can add the settings with 'set up anyway' but that doesn't make it work unfortunately.

Another thing I noticed is that it can't even find networks? If I say "Network Auto-Select: Off" it says Looking for networks, but won't find anything (not even my own network that does work with auto mode?) It simply says Network Failure.

I'm beginning to wonder if there is anyone out there using 1.3.1 who can use the official Manual APN settings.. What's the point of enabling that feature if it doesn't work?
  15.    #15  
    overwrite the current carrier settings db3 file with a 121 or even 113 version? Wouldn't that do the trick?
    That's not a bad idea, I'm too tired (still jetlagged from a very long trip) to do it now but will try it tomorrow, if I can find the right carrier settings db3 file.
    Tests run successful on my unlocked German Pre and I have 3G by using manual settings on Tmobile-NL with a tmobile SIM.

However, I get error 1000 if I have no active connection by not entering a pin code. Perhaps 20 is displayed with an active voice connection, but no data connection? Does not seem like a real hardware test to me, if it indeed needs a connection.

Perhaps the only difference with you guys is that I run Spint webOS 1.3.1 on my Pre?
  17.    #17  
    I will try Dr. to Sprint 1.3.1 first then today.
    Just for the record, I have not edited any database. Only using the official Manual Input for APN settings, which it refuses to accept. My Pre is a O2 (German) phone, which is unlocked. So I am also not using a Rebelsim or anything similar. I can add the settings with 'set up anyway' but that doesn't make it work unfortunately.

Another thing I noticed is that it can't even find networks? If I say "Network Auto-Select: Off" it says Looking for networks, but won't find anything (not even my own network that does work with auto mode?) It simply says Network Failure.

I'm beginning to wonder if there is anyone out there using 1.3.1 who can use the official Manual APN settings.. What's the point of enabling that feature if it doesn't work?
    Identical situation for me! In a nut-shell. But you seem to be more accepting than me, I am just getting ****ed off, thats just my nature, I have tried everything. Actually also edited the db. Same bull!
  19.    #19  
    Hi xioq, exactly why do you think DRing to sprint 131 will help?
    It may be wise, and certainly a lot less work, to overwrite the current carrier settings db3 file with a 121 or even 113 version.
    Well, the db3 modifying didn't work according to this post (although he is using a rebelsim, I don't think me using a unlocked Pre will be the big difference);
    http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...ml#post2045777

But not that it matters, the Sprint Dr. didn't feel doing much work for me though, it recognizes that it's not a Sprint phone so won't do anything. Makes perfect sense.

@loni86 Oh I'm **'d about it as well, but I also need it to work and getting upset doesn't get me anywhere. I feel like I haven't tried everything yet so will continue trying I guess.
    Modifying the database does indeed not work for getting vodafone NL to work, and the 1.3.1 database is actually slightly different from the previous versions (although it looks like the code on the phone will upgrade the database by adding a few columns). I'm pretty certain the vodafone NL (private, not business) issues are caused by 1.3.1 having slightly modified code for login negotations, as it fails after authentication (which is provided by the db3 file), probably during capability negotiations.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast