Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    just think about it: Palm at CES will unveil the next firmware update but its pretty much a given that it will include other fixes than what was revealed. Or else why reveal it at CES if it isn't that big of an update? For relations sake? I don't think so...there is something else in store with this update...I assure you.

anyone else agree?
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    Or else why reveal it at CES if it isn't that big of an update? For relations sake?
    While I hope you're right, I don't agree with your reasoning.

Showing up and saying something at CES is just the price to be in the game and relevant. Yes, if they've got something big up their sleeve, they'd want to announce at CES, but even if they don't, they need to get up and say something just to hang onto mindshare.
    It has no sense reveal a little upgrade. I think webOS 1.3.5 will reveal some new key functionalities (Flash is, obviously, one of them).

Reading the CES invitations, my bet is multimedia related: video, media sync app for desktop or something related.

Haz said before, you just don't make a press conference to announce bugfixes.
    so when is ces?
  5.    #5  
    January 7th, I believe
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    So I was just browsing the CES website and I see nothing about Palm or Sprint (Sprint is going to announce a 4G phone).

Anyone got any solid info on palm or sprint at CES?
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    just think about it: Palm at CES will unveil the next firmware update but its pretty much a given that it will include other fixes than what was revealed. Or else why reveal it at CES if it isn't that big of an update? For relations sake? I don't think so...there is something else in store with this update...I assure you.

anyone else agree?
    I agree.. I don't see the point in unveiling an update at CES if it's only going to be a few bug fixes. I think this update is going to add some pretty big features on the pre. As a matter a fact did Palm even state what the firmware number's going to be? Cause I have a feeling it's not going to be 1.3.5 beleive it might be 1.4 or at least 2.0.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    So I was just browsing the CES website and I see nothing about Palm or Sprint (Sprint is going to announce a 4G phone).

Anyone got any solid info on palm or sprint at CES?
    Palm, Inc. - Smart Phones

Palm invites us to 'see and hear what's new' at CES 2010 -- Engadget

Welcome to webOSdev - Palm (developer events)

Palm confirms webOS 1.3.5 to launch at CES 2010 - FierceDeveloper
    Quote Originally Posted by Drnycallstar19 View Post
    ...As a matter a fact did Palm even state what the firmware number's going to be? Cause I have a feeling it's not going to be 1.3.5 beleive it might be 1.4 or at least 2.0.
    I was just thinking along the same lines. I'm almost positive Rubenstein did say 1.3.5, but that's really irrelevant. I mean, if they do plan on a more substantical update, he could hardly keep it close to his chest by saying "Well, we're going to announce an update, but it won't be 1.3.5". If we don't see an update before CES, I suspect that one of two things will happen with the announcement of an update:
    • It will be something bigger than a 0.0.x update
    • It will ban an 0.0.x update, but will be accompanied by an announcement that the update lays the "foundation for" whatever new they're bringing to the table, and a bigger update "will follow soon" (just please please don't let them say "First half of 2010")
    Every one keeps saying "video". But do you really think they would have a big splash event where they stand up and say "We now have something everyone else and their brother have had for a while now!! Are we great, or what?!?!"

If it is something big, I would shoot for GPU, Flash and a ton of apps that are built and to be released IMMEDIATELY (as in as soon as the presentation is over) via the App Catalog.

Nothing else will anything other than "yesterday's news". They cannot expect the "withing the first half of this year" crap to fly again.
    +1 for the GPU prediction. I would like to be pleasantly surprised with some announcements on "real" games like the supposed videos of Need for Speed running on the Pre.

But whatever they announce, the anticipation and speculation is what may lead to disappointments.
    I don't think Palm would want to announce "we'll finally use the GPU". That's not common knowledge anyways and would make people think...wait a min...you weren't in the first place? Not to mention..boring.

Flash is interesting but with all the problems Palm has with implementing sounds along with lag, I have to see it to believe it...before getting on that bandwagon. Besides, that's adobe's news.

Really, i don't see anything worthy of CES besides a new device (new form factor) and not just a bumped up Pre in memory. With that, then Palm could get away with also talking about a minor software update.
    I could see them announcing some major SDK revision with new APIs available and apps to show them off like Apple did with the iPhone 3.0 announcement in March.

No, really...I could see that.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I don't think Palm would want to announce "we'll finally use the GPU". That's not common knowledge anyways and would make people think...wait a min...you weren't in the first place? Not to mention..boring.

Flash is interesting but with all the problems Palm has with implementing sounds along with lag, I have to see it to believe it...before getting on that bandwagon. Besides, that's adobe's news.

Really, i don't see anything worthy of CES besides a new device (new form factor) and not just a bumped up Pre in memory. With that, then Palm could get away with also talking about a minor software update.
    If the GPU is in the equation for CES, I don't think they would come outright and say they released the drivers, per se. To follow in Apple's footsteps, I think it would be along the lines of "we're release firmware 1.x.x and we have these great games coming out that we'll demo."

Flash would definitely be nice but I think the implementations are too early in the process to release to the masses. My thought is the GPU would need to be up and running to get a decent Flash experience.

So all in all, I don't think we'll see the GPU drivers being released yet but that's what I want.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    I saw they had a booth, but i did not see that second link with the invite. So it looks like 1/7/10 at 2:00 PM EST. Thanks again.
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSilver View Post
    If the GPU is in the equation for CES, I don't think they would come outright and say they released the drivers, per se. To follow in Apple's footsteps, I think it would be along the lines of "we're release firmware 1.x.x and we have these great games coming out that we'll demo."

Flash would definitely be nice but I think the implementations are too early in the process to release to the masses. My thought is the GPU would need to be up and running to get a decent Flash experience.

So all in all, I don't think we'll see the GPU drivers being released yet but that's what I want.
    Perhaps. But having great games IMO shouldn't be on their list of immediate concerns.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Perhaps. But having great games IMO shouldn't be on their list of immediate concerns.
    Tu Che
    It's going to be big and if it's not palm has some trouble coming it's way.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    it will be something we all want I'm sure .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast