Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Look at it this way... Why despise Apple when they pretty much failed at getting computer marketshare, so they carve themselves a niche in portable music and entertainment. Thats alright.
    I dislike them because they create lower standards and drive out higher quality. For example, iPods are notorious for having lower-quality sound, and yet they dominate the market. Others, such as Cowon, Creative, and even the Zune are much better experiences, and of course the Zune Marketplace is a breathtakingly superior value, and yet none of them can get traction against Apple.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by THAANSA3 View Post
    I don't agree with everything you said, but I do agree with the 'red.' Apple sees this and the cat and mouse between the two companies will continue with Apple biting a few of the cooler features of the Pre. I just hope that the Pre 2 is out by then with better hardware and a much improved OS experience. That should mitigate some of the 'damage' Apple can do.
    I see it a bit different. I think Apple is trying to beat everyone. I think Apple's goal is to make the best overall product. if you have 8 GBs they want 16GBs. Obviously they don't hit every mark but they have the luxury of a positive track record and an entrenched customer base to get them through lean quarters. I think Palm isn't trying to make the best solution but one that's good enough. I don't know if Palm thinks big enough. I know Apple does. I mean put the utter lack of good apps aside cause that's largely a time issue too. But i don't get why Palm can't do everything Apple does for their iphone but at least on paper better. If apple has 16GB a pre should have 32. It should have a better camera and a flash, If they do video so should Palm. Like i think the whole itunes thing is interesting cause i think a lot of consumers go, "neat, music, video, podcasts, apps, sync, photos, and slick doc that charges. Hey Palm what you got?" And Palm's response is "yeah our music player kinda doesn't do much other then play, video is sketchy cause we are temperamental on what we play, Podcasts you have to go to another websited we don't run and and install some software we don't endorse, or maybe download a third party app from the catalog, Photos? handle that yourself too. Apps, you can only get them on the phone, download music, yeah again only on the phone no integrated desktop solution." To me that illustrates the difference in approach. One has a cohesive vision that is proven to sell units the other does not.

Remember when Lexus entered the game. Mercedes and BMW owned Luxury cars. Lexus didn't say offer less then Mercedes they offered a longer warranty. They offered more features. You paid extra for certain things on a Benz. It came standard on Lexus. Mercedes could get by on it's past rep. Toyota knew they had to give consumers more luxury, more amenities to compete. And they started 10 grand less in price too. I just see Palm as doing the opposite then wondering why Sprint's got 200k phones sitting on shelves. Offering less features. Like i get that notifications are better and it multitasks But how much better would it be if I just get the impression Palm is a phone cycle behind. That what they release next summer will be the best phone compared to phones now but not the best out next summer.

Quote Originally Posted by LC_3720 View Post
    of course if you put the pre's sale next to say, an iphone ! Their going to look real weak...I don't understand why everyones so freaked out about numbers, they will come with different carriers.
    It's not just iphone. It's RIMM, Motorola, Samsung, Nokia, It's an OS to OS issue so it's Apple, RIMM and Google from that perspetive. My issue isn't largely about numbers but the momentum with the Pre Is from quarter to quarter they are selling less pres. That is not a good trend. You obviously want to sales to increase not decrease. People focus on the numbers cause they can give you a info on trends. If they are decreasing on Sprint they are likely to decrease on Veriozon the theory goes. If Sprint isn't selling the 700k plus phones they bought last quarter, they are unlikely to buy 700k plus phones next quarter and thus Palm sales to sprint can be expected to go down unless something changes. And the issue isn't that they'll get sales from Verizon. As a stock that was factored into the price of the stock as soon as Verizon confirmed it. So people looking at the numbers are well aware of that they'll ship more phones next quarter. numbers are not absolute. Hell Palm could triple sales. They could announce Webos 2.O or an itunes cloned that the world says is cooler then itunes and it could take off. But Palm is in the smartphone market so they will always be compared to the market leaders. And it's right to do so.
    1.3.1 to 1.3.5 and people are expecting to be dazzled?? That doesnt sound like that much of an upgrade to me.
    What are the "good apps" that don't exist for the Pre and what's wrong with the apps that are available?

I agree that Palm made a big mistake by going with "artsy" commercials instead of ones that showed off their product.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    PALM needs to tell people that folks can browse internets plus the phone has a GPS.
    Trust me , I met few folks who doesn't know that the Pre has GPS ( I knew some folks who didn't know about the ringer off switch is another story ).
    Ding, we have a winner. Though i'm concerned about decreasing Pre sales, it could be the result of bad marketing. It's early to dismiss the Pre...but just be concerned. That's just talking about a form factor though. WebOS is the real product.

Even next quarter, questions will linger no doubt. That new marketing needs to happen sooner than later.
    Don't forget the fact that the Pre has been damned by a lot of the specialized media, with a lot of hard (and , in some cases, falses) critics.

Looks like this media expected Palm to dissapear, and doesn't like Palm to revive.
  7.    #107  
    Palm advertising? I highly doubt that will happen. It seems like no company wants to make a splash other than the iphone ads are doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    What are the "good apps" that don't exist for the Pre and what's wrong with the apps that are available?
    Video recording
    Voice dialing
    Voice recording
    Voice command
    Voice translation
    Photoshop
    NPR
    Shazam
    Slacker
    Pocket Informant
    Last.fm
    Qik
    Epicurious
    Allrecipes Dinner Spinner
    ShopSaavy
    Layar
    Spotify
    Rhapsody
    A LOT OF GAMES.
  9.    #109  
    Visual Voicemail!
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Here's how I'm looking at this... Palm needed to release a webOS device so that they could A) Not go bankrupt and show their investors they were making progress with this new platform and B) to get feedback. They needed to know how their new device would work in the field.

If you have something that's functional and provides a good start do you want a huge release? No. They choose Sprint as it's the 3rd largest wireless carrier. They're not bad but they're also not a wireless powerhouse like VZW or AT&T (Thanks to iPhone). Releasing to a smaller market allows the number of issues likely to come up to be a manageable one. That was back when the Pre was released.

Fast forward to today. CES is coming up as is the release of the Pre and Pixi on VZW. They're moving to a much larger audience therefore they need something to not only impress but also satisfy all those new customers.

webOS itself is plenty to impress. It's obviously a gorgeous OS, though unfortunately there are some limitations, including features that mikah912 has highlighted above. Another major one is GPU support. That alone could alleviate performance issues or eliminate them altogether (as much as possible on a mobile device for that matter).

So by my logic, Palm needs to add some good goodies to webOS prior to it's release on VZW if they don't want to be embarrassed. Then there are those stating "1.3.1 to 1.3.5 isn't a large incremental increase, therefore it can't house too many new features or anything big." Wrong. For one thing, the numbering scheme is up to the developer. The idea something big will come in 1.3.5 is further supported by all the code changes in 1.3.1. It laid out a solid ground for lots of new features.

If they were going to push to 2.0, I'm pretty sure they're going to want something bigger than just GPU support and video recording. My logic tells me that they want these things implemented prior to making a big jump in the version number of the OS. Plus, it would be pretty embarrassing to say "New in webOS 2.0, utilization of hardware that should have been enable since the beginning! Woohoo!". It's a little difficult to get excited over that..

I'm not dissing Palm, I have high hopes and I trust they'll do the right thing and give us a big update with 1.3.5.

At the end of the day though, the only thing we can do is wait until January 7th to find out. In the meantime this speculation only serves as; something fun to do, something to ease our anxious minds, and give grabbing rights to those who successfully predict what will actually happen.

Honestly, no matter what's in 1.3.5, will any of you be disappointed by a webOS update? Even if it fixes one thing I'd say it's worth it. Especially considering it's not the last OS update.
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by diyeiogt View Post
    1.3.1 to 1.3.5 and people are expecting to be dazzled?? That doesnt sound like that much of an upgrade to me.
    Exactly. People are speculating/demanding features as if they releasing WebOS 1.5 at the least. Everyone needs to calm down. 1.3.5 is not even a standard "dot" update. Prepare to have announcements of future plans and features. If that doesn't satisfy you, then get something else, people!
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSilver View Post
    Exactly. People are speculating/demanding features as if they releasing WebOS 1.5 at the least. Everyone needs to calm down. 1.3.5 is not even a standard "dot" update. Prepare to have announcements of future plans and features. If that doesn't satisfy you, then get something else, people!
    I would agree with you, except for this: I do think it's a mistake to have positioned the update for CES if it's not going to include something significant. Palm is aware, I'm sure, of the growing dissatisfaction around the lack of some specific features such as video recording, voice recording, and the like. And, all they needed to do was avoid mentioning 1.3.5 in the context of CES.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  13.    #113  
    Good points posted. I guess when CES comes, we'll know more as to future announcements and what 2010 brings for Palm
    I hope Palm's big announcement at CES will include a fully functional facebook app!
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I would agree with you, except for this: I do think it's a mistake to have positioned the update for CES if it's not going to include something significant. Palm is aware, I'm sure, of the growing dissatisfaction around the lack of some specific features such as video recording, voice recording, and the like. And, all they needed to do was avoid mentioning 1.3.5 in the context of CES.
    I do see your point on mistiming an update for CES if it has relatively insignificant changes.

My thought is that the biggest part of the announcement will be the coming out party for the Verizon Pre/Pixi. Yes, this info would disappoint current members on this forum, including myself, but it would be a valid reason for having a CES presentation, even if the hardware is unchanged.

And for those that actually read this post, I plead/beg that you do not flame Palm if they come out with upgraded hardware for Verizon. Its happened in the past and it will happen in the future (ex: Treo 700x / 700wx). The nature of being an early adopter is that new stuff will come out later. (You can't complain that your last-years-model TV has a new and improved version for the same price, right?)
    I'm still shooting for better Memory Management, Apps galore, GPU & more Hardware support, Flash and Pres that chops Ice and Blend Martinis.

Okay, I can't have everything, but it can't hurt to dream.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Video recording
    Voice dialing
    Voice recording
    Voice command
    Voice translation
    Photoshop
    NPR
    Shazam
    Slacker
    Pocket Informant
    Last.fm
    Qik
    Epicurious
    Allrecipes Dinner Spinner
    ShopSaavy
    Layar
    Spotify
    Rhapsody
    A LOT OF GAMES.
    oww lol
    Hi Everybody!!!
    As long as palm doesn't force us to upgrade our phones yearly (a la Apple's yearly hw updates with new voice support, openGL 2.0, etc) and keeps sending out free OS updates, then I will be a happy Pre user for many moons to come. I would like to see them tap into the GPU sooner rather than later though...
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by intlbeans View Post
    As long as palm doesn't force us to upgrade our phones yearly (a la Apple's yearly hw updates with new voice support, openGL 2.0, etc) and keeps sending out free OS updates, then I will be a happy Pre user for many moons to come. I would like to see them tap into the GPU sooner rather than later though...
    I agree completely. I really do think well see it at CES with 1.3.5. They really need this to smooth out there platforms performance issues. Not only will ares boost app creation but if you unlock the GPU and give developers a chance to use it, that will help too.

I have faith Palm will do this soon. Like CES soon. Whos with me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tcub View Post
    I agree completely. I really do think well see it at CES with 1.3.5. They really need this to smooth out there platforms performance issues. Not only will ares boost app creation but if you unlock the GPU and give developers a chance to use it, that will help too.

I have faith Palm will do this soon. Like CES soon. Whos with me?
    Agreed. But I would prefer them to fix the lousy radio reception as well! I have never dropped so many calls ever! Not even when I had Nextel!
    Live free or DIE!
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast