Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    No, expanding to more carriers in the way they're doing is dumb. The App Catalog - you know, the number one value add for the device? - is an inconsistent mess from region to region.
    So adding Verizon and AT&T in the U.S. is dumb? They're only the 2 biggest carriers in the U.S. This is a CONSUMER electronics show. They want to show that they have an updated Pre available to the #1 carrier in the market. That's what they will show off. They want Verizon customers to know the Pre is now an option for them. A Pre on Verizon with some slight upgrades/adjustments from the Sprint version. Getting access to Verizon's 35+% market share is a big deal for a company that's struggling. That's a whole lot of revenue and it won't require a new form factor or major cost on Palm's part to deliver. That means more margin and more dollars to develop and update the Pre and Pixi. Yes, we'll get some OS tweaks, but nothing major. That will come later. Right now, Palm needs money, and big V is going to help them get it - we hope!

That's my guess. Setting expectations low, so that if we don't get GPU, or other major updates, I won't be looking for a bridge to jump from.
    2010 CES Palm

Release 1.3.5 small release and update App Catalog will go from Beta to Product Release

Announce Palm 2.0 for Summer Release on NEW Palm Products:
    Bigger Screen (4.0 OMLED Glass), released on Sprint, Flash, World Phone (GSM/CDMA), Storage Card 64GB, Stainless Steel Construction with Plastic, 3G and 4G possible if they can get the smaller, Snapdragon, HDMI outputs.
    I think that even with the 1.3.5 coming out soon the outlook for Palm is indeed grim. I really hope Palm does something huge soon, even if at this point it would simply mean fixing the existing issues and adding the features that should have been there since the beginning. It's starting to look like it's really going to take a miracle for Palm to even start competing with Apple and Google/Android.

I appreciate the enthusiasm many people have for Palm and genuinely like the WebOS but at the same time see it all being thumped by what Google/Android and Apple will have to offer in the first quarter-half of the 2010. With both platforms already ahead of WebOS and constantly evolving backed by the vast resources of Apple and Google it's hard to see anything but increased marginalization of Palm in the 2010. Although it would be nice to have WebOS stick around I can't help but think that it'll soon go the way of OS/2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Every one keeps saying "video". But do you really think they would have a big splash event where they stand up and say "We now have something everyone else and their brother have had for a while now!! Are we great, or what?!?!"
    Why not? Apple does it all the time...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Android will have problems with developer’s real soon, how many different releases of Android are there plus how many different type of phones (screen sizes and processors), they are releasing 19 Android phones this year alone, and next year they said they already planned out 38 different phones. The developers are going mad now trying to figure out what they have to built too, next year will either make for Android or break for developer side.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Palm has multiple carriers now. And Verizon is a nobrainer. I don't see the need for more foreign carriers right now is what i meant. Palm's resources are only so much. It's costly to expand especially if sales are weak on existing.

So i'm not sure why you're suggesting i meant Palm limit themselves to one carrier in Sprint.

Ironically enough, advising companies and helping them succeed is my day job so i apologize if i sometimes carry that mentality over in these forums. I'm a fan of smartphones in general, own a Pre, and used palm for years. All this armchair quarterbacking is just what people do in forums. If you disagree, post why. There's no need to ask people for their resume.
    Sure they aren't iPhone sales, but over 1 million units in less than 6 months is not bad. I wouldn't call them weak.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Why not? Apple does it all the time...
    Exactly. Apple announces in the summer of 2009 that they've added more memory and.................... yes, you guessed it, sending pics and videos using txt msgs. Applauds galore from the crowd and the tech press goes gaga.

So yes as you stated Palm can get away with making a small announcement about adding video.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by sbrad425 View Post
    Android will have problems with developerís real soon, how many different releases of Android are there plus how many different type of phones (screen sizes and processors), they are releasing 19 Android phones this year alone, and next year they said they already planned out 38 different phones. The developers are going mad now trying to figure out what they have to built too, next year will either make for Android or break for developer side.
    There are two major screen sizes for Android: 3.2 and 3.7-inch.

The baseline with the first generation was 3.2-inches. Google is resetting it at 3.7 with the Droid and Nexus One for 2.1 and beyond. But the corrections to run at that resolution properly will come on top of what's already there, not erase it.

Most major Android phones will be at 2.1 in the next 6 months. Android 2.0 will be the new developer baseline the same way 1.5 is now. The incremental 2.1-type implementations won't be much of a factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by georgopw View Post
    I think that even with the 1.3.5 coming out soon the outlook for Palm is indeed grim. I really hope Palm does something huge soon, even if at this point it would simply mean fixing the existing issues and adding the features that should have been there since the beginning. It's starting to look like it's really going to take a miracle for Palm to even start competing with Apple and Google/Android.

I appreciate the enthusiasm many people have for Palm and genuinely like the WebOS but at the same time see it all being thumped by what Google/Android and Apple will have to offer in the first quarter-half of the 2010. With both platforms already ahead of WebOS and constantly evolving backed by the vast resources of Apple and Google it's hard to see anything but increased marginalization of Palm in the 2010. Although it would be nice to have WebOS stick around I can't help but think that it'll soon go the way of OS/2.
    i agree 100% with you.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dannydos View Post
    i agree 100% with you.
    I disagree 100%. How is webOS behind? It's ahead in terms of platform ease of use and functionality. It's behind in marketing and being on the smallest network. If it gets announced on Verizon, all this talk about slowing down will go away.

I also think they missed their opportunity, but I also don't think it's anywhere near over. Am I the only one who thinks that selling more than 600,000 of these on a network that is LOSING customores was not a little win?
    I think you people are selling the WebOS short. The Pre and Pixi are two revolutionary devices and while yes, they may lack "basic features" so did the iPhone, so did Android, and Palm isn't a big company like Apple or Google; they're small, coming off a near-collapse and like any other small(ish) company, they cannot do everything, they need time. Give it to them.
    LG Rumor -> HTC Touch -> Palm Pixi -> Palm Pre+ (if they ever bring it to Sprint)
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Please announce a Joo Joo tablet running WebOS and Sprint / Verizon 3G.

If all they do is release fixes with 1.3.5 and give NEW dates and what could come, i'll be disappointed.
    Honestly, the missing features(ie video capture) isn't a big deal. Yes, it should be already implemented though. My main concern is that they're expanding to other carriers with unreliable hardware. The screen is a finger print magnet, scratches easily, the slider is loose on some phones. And then there's the sluggish software, they should already have a quick UI. It's not about what's missing, it's about what's there but not quite there.

Now that they've expanded with these 'not quite there' phones, I'm sure they'll be giving a bad impression on their company like they've given me. I'm still hopeful but we all know most people won't be.
    Quote Originally Posted by mahylo View Post
    I disagree 100%. If it gets announced on Verizon, all this talk about slowing down will go away.
    the pre and the pixi will be on verizon...it's already been announced.
    Palm needs a 4G phone in 2010. NEEDS. We won't see one, however.

But I think we'll see 3 things in January 2010:

* Flash
    * Developer Stuff
    * Misc. Improvements

If you expect more than this, you're in for a huge let-down.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    If only there was a way to update the build quality...
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Here's my prediction: Whatever Palm does, anything from NOTHING to releasing the iPhone killer, will be met with agnst like we've never seen in this forum. I predict 15 'I'm leaving' threads be posted within 5 minutes of Palm's announcements at CES.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
    Here's my prediction: Whatever Palm does, anything from NOTHING to releasing the iPhone killer, will be met with agnst like we've never seen in this forum. I predict 15 'I'm leaving' threads be posted within 5 minutes of Palm's announcements at CES.
    LOL...this is exactly how I view this forum on an ongoing basis. Palm could announce that they'll refund the cost of the phone, subsidize our entire 2-year Sprint contract costs and there will still be those that threaten to leave because it doesn't have a video recorder.
    my 2 cents: Well as someone said, 1 million units sold in 6 months isn't that bad and I agree. Palm has already stated that things are going as planned, and hey! I believe them. Expanding to others carriers will take care of all the developer needs, and the update will hopefully shutup the unhappy sprint customers. On another note, although I'm anticipating what palm has in store, I would also like to see what the competition has!
    A patch for my horrific build quality? A patch for my oreo? One last replacement that fixes all my build quality complaints? Yes, bathe her and bring her to me...
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast