Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Joescan09 View Post
    It's going to be big and if it's not palm has some trouble coming it's way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    it will be something we all want I'm sure .
    Not flaming, but these types of mentality lead to disappointment.
    I'm not hoping for anything big in the next update but if palm doesn't start to catch up the to competition it's going to be hard to produce phones with the latest features.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    So I was just browsing the CES website and I see nothing about Palm or Sprint (Sprint is going to announce a 4G phone).

Anyone got any solid info on palm or sprint at CES?
    I understand that one of the news paper moguls is going to announce a distribution platform for news papers and magazines with Sprint providing the data connection.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Maybe....just maybe 2.0
    Palm has surprised us before. Remember WebOS? Who expected it? There were absolutely no leaks at all; which is not an easy feat.

Palm might lack scale and marketing expertise. But they still have innovative ideas up their sleeves.

I'm hoping for the best.
    wow, It is my opinion you guys are setting yourselves up for disappointment. I see CES to be all about ARES and Palms future plans/hype to bring more developers and apps to WEBOS. As well as bragging about their frequency of OTA updates and dedication to improving user experiences. They will probably also talk about the future of flash on WEBOS. The other main topic will likely be enhancing excitement about expanding the Pre and Pixi globally to other carriers.

That's probably about it with a few other minor things to try and hype up in hopes to gain excitement. I am not expecting anything outstanding that will make me go, "Yes, this is exactly what I have been waiting for and now I love my Pre so much more!"

Hope without expectation will help to be more content yet allow for fulfilling of realistic ideas.
    WebOs 3.0!!!

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    Quote Originally Posted by scott healey View Post
    wow, It is my opinion you guys are setting yourselves up for disappointment. I see CES to be all about ARES and Palms future plans/hype to bring more developers and apps to WEBOS. As well as bragging about their frequency of OTA updates and dedication to improving user experiences. They will probably also talk about the future of flash on WEBOS. The other main topic will likely be enhancing excitement about expanding the Pre and Pixi globally to other carriers.

That's probably about it with a few other minor things to try and hype up in hopes to gain excitement. I am not expecting anything outstanding that will make me go, "Yes, this is exactly what I have been waiting for and now I love my Pre so much more!"

Hope without expectation will help to be more content yet allow for fulfilling of realistic ideas.
    That would suck then. Ares is a waste of resources. The whole premise of webOS was how simple stupid it already was to develop for and that there's thousands of developers out there lining up already armed with the prereq knowledge. Palm's target market isn't remotely interested in doing this.

Expanding to more carriers globally is equally as dumb. Palm's problem is not selling enough devices on the carriers they have. Plus they don't have enough cash to adequately market new areas. Palm is better off concentrating more effort on a new form factor or new marketing for existing areas. Better to try to be a rock star on few than to promote a mediocre impression on many.
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSilver View Post
    If the GPU is in the equation for CES, I don't think they would come outright and say they released the drivers, per se. To follow in Apple's footsteps, I think it would be along the lines of "we're release firmware 1.x.x and we have these great games coming out that we'll demo."

Flash would definitely be nice but I think the implementations are too early in the process to release to the masses. My thought is the GPU would need to be up and running to get a decent Flash experience.

So all in all, I don't think we'll see the GPU drivers being released yet but that's what I want.
    +1

The 'big' thing here for 1.x.x will be GPU/fixes but nothing major around it. Let it run in the wild and make sure its stable, then *shortly* after they will release a 2.x.x including flash. They might actually a date for Flash and its firmware though...
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    That would suck then. Ares is a waste of resources. The whole premise of webOS was how simple stupid it already was to develop for and that there's thousands of developers out there lining up already armed with the prereq knowledge. Palm's target market isn't remotely interested in doing this.

Expanding to more carriers globally is equally as dumb. Palm's problem is not selling enough devices on the carriers they have. Plus they don't have enough cash to adequately market new areas. Palm is better off concentrating more effort on a new form factor or new marketing for existing areas. Better to try to be a rock star on few than to promote a mediocre impression on many.
    Ok. So when are you going to take over at Apple, Rimm, Palm, Google? I'm serious. B/c somehow you seem to know what it takes for a company that is in turn around mode to thrive. Expanding to more carries is dumb? So they should just limit themselves to one carrier (the 3rd place carrier) and create a new form factor for the 3rd place carrier? And that somehow is going to help them become a 'rockstar'? Ok.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by scott healey View Post

Seems more plausible to me than any of the other stuff that has been posted. However, I think they're going to look to make a splash with the announce of the Verizon partnership and the supposed Palm Pre +. It won't be such a big splash for folks here but it is what Wall Street and those who want to see Palm survive would be glad to hear.

And I'm going to throw this one out there: Palm will announce a partnership with ATT in the spring. Look for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Expanding to more carries is dumb? So they should just limit themselves to one carrier (the 3rd place carrier) and create a new form factor for the 3rd place carrier? And that somehow is going to help them become a 'rockstar'? Ok.
    No, expanding to more carriers in the way they're doing is dumb. The App Catalog - you know, the number one value add for the device? - is an inconsistent mess from region to region.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    I have faith in palm, this will be big, now that they've heard users concerns, seen their competition something big will come out of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    No, expanding to more carriers in the way they're doing is dumb. The App Catalog - you know, the number one value add for the device? - is an inconsistent mess from region to region.
    So how should they expand to different carriers and how are they currently doing it? I'm really interested in hearing this b/c this forum seems to have a ton of people that know how to run a company like Palm and some of you have knowledge of what Palm is 'really' doing that those of us of on the outside have no knowledge of.

And b/c the app cat is a inconsistent mess from region to region, should Palm not expand to different carriers? I'm just trying to learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Ok. So when are you going to take over at Apple, Rimm, Palm, Google? I'm serious. B/c somehow you seem to know what it takes for a company that is in turn around mode to thrive. Expanding to more carries is dumb? So they should just limit themselves to one carrier (the 3rd place carrier) and create a new form factor for the 3rd place carrier? And that somehow is going to help them become a 'rockstar'? Ok.
    Palm has multiple carriers now. And Verizon is a nobrainer. I don't see the need for more foreign carriers right now is what i meant. Palm's resources are only so much. It's costly to expand especially if sales are weak on existing.

So i'm not sure why you're suggesting i meant Palm limit themselves to one carrier in Sprint.

Ironically enough, advising companies and helping them succeed is my day job so i apologize if i sometimes carry that mentality over in these forums. I'm a fan of smartphones in general, own a Pre, and used palm for years. All this armchair quarterbacking is just what people do in forums. If you disagree, post why. There's no need to ask people for their resume.
    Last edited by cardfan; 12/23/2009 at 11:58 AM.
    How about Netflix streaming (like on XBox) or HULU?

I can dream....
    anybody see the unreal engine 3 being demoed on the iphone. They also said it will be announced on another mobile phone platform as well. Hoping they at least demo the gpu at CES and if we are lucky webOS is that other platform
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSilver View Post
    Not flaming, but these types of mentality lead to disappointment.
    I agree. The only solid information to date is that 1.3.5 is coming NOW and is the next update to the WebOS. It is entirely logical for them to push it out Jan 4th in time for the CES on the 7th.

It is also very conceivable that they will 'announce' upcoming support for flash and the 1.3.5 is laying the ground work for some 'awesome' improvements later in 2010.

Logically, I expect no real improvements until the end of 2010...everything between now and then will be a tiny bit here, a tiny bit there and rinse and repeat until we get to around version 2 in Dec 2010.

Of course by then Apple will be on their v4.5 OS and Android will be pushing version 3+...but what the heck...v2 would be better than a kick in the head by Palm.
    ...Plus they don't have enough cash to adequately market new areas. Palm is better off concentrating more effort on a new form factor or new marketing for existing areas. Better to try to be a rock star on few than to promote a mediocre impression on many.
    Am I missing something, or doesn't going to additonal carriers just mean more potential customers in existing areas. In other words, going to Verizon doesn't mean they have to market to a new area, they've already done marketing in that area (no matter how poor folks may think it was).
    Palm has multiple carriers now. And Verizon is a nobrainer. I don't see the need for more foreign carriers right now is what i meant. Palm's resources are only so much. It's costly to expand especially if sales are weak on existing.
    OK, that makes a little more sense, but I disagree.

Frequently, advertising is run by a vendor using co-op funding from a manufacturer. I can't say 100% sure that's how phone companies do it, but I know other retailers do this. I suspect Palm does. Basically, for xxx number of units ordered, the mfgr gives you $xxxx to spend on advertising. The advertising is usally mutually approved, but sometimes is provided mainly by the vendor, other times by the mfg.

I''d guess this is how Palm is marketing the Pre/Pixi in new markets. If they were short on inventory, I'd agree with you, however, a co-op advertising plan ensures they get something back for their investment dollars, and it puts more units in the hands of users.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast