Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 62
  1.    #1  
    As a launch day Pre user, I would often get frustrated with the Pre for some reason or other.

    Recently, however, I've come to the realization that the Pre is merely an entry-level type of device, and for that, it is simply AMAZING.

    I don't think one can expect to compare it with other so-called "comparable" devices like the iPhone or the Droid because it's not built for the power user. It'll never be the fastest phone, or the most responsive phone, or the most customizable phone-- but that's okay, because it's also priced at half of what those other phones are.

    I think the WebOS platform is amazing for casual smartphone users because it's so simplistic. There's not a whole lot you can easily customize or change, but that's perfect for this demographic. It also, as we know, can seem painfully slow to people coming from Blackberries or other faster devices. However, this 'lag' wouldn't affect casual smartphone users.

    I think if Palm used this type of marketing strategy on Verizon, the Pre might just be a winner after all. Not every phone has to have really advanced apps or be crazy fast, because not everyone NEEDS those features. Most people just want a phone that's clean and elegant looking with a simple UI, and that is totally what the Pre offers.

    I think marketing it as an iPhone or BB replacement device is unwise because it's simply not. However, that doesn't mean it's not great and can't find a following with a slightly less tech-savvy demographic.
  2. #2  
    'I second that'
  3. #3  
    entry as in what, a 1.0 device? If so we all knew that already
  4.    #4  
    entry as in what, a 1.0 device? If so we all knew that already
    That's not what entry-level means. Entry-level as in 'for beginners'. Not for power-users.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ali.fazal View Post
    Recently, however, I've come to the realization that the Pre is merely an entry-level type of device, and for that, it is simply AMAZING.

    I don't think one can expect to compare it with other so-called "comparable" devices like the iPhone or the Droid...
    Nice rationalization given the current reality. However, that is not how Palm and Sprint positioned the device. It was supposed to be a top tier iPhone killer type device. To say otherwise is just rewriting history.
  6. a2k
    a2k is offline
    a2k's Avatar
    Posts
    103 Posts
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    #6  
    Here! Here! Point taken as my five year old owns and operates a Pre!
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbode View Post
    I'm sure the OP meant Pixi
    The Pixi is just a Pre with cheaper hardware. If the Pixi is not for "power users", neither is the Pre.

    I don't really see the iPhone as a power user device either though.
  8. glenada's Avatar
    Posts
    777 Posts
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    #8  
    The Pre shouldn't have been touted as 'the iPhone killer.' I believe that raised expectations too high. This phone is not for the average user.
  9. djmcgee's Avatar
    Posts
    626 Posts
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by glenada View Post
    This phone is not for the average user.
    I don't see how you can make that generalization either. This phone fits many different needs. Both myself and my wife have Pre's and my wife is hardly a power user or high demand user but she also has no trouble using the phone functions, messaging, email, etc.
  10. spare's Avatar
    Posts
    662 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    #10  
    What defines a power user?
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by glenada View Post
    ... This phone is not for the average user.
    Exactly who is the phone for then? If Palm is trying to leverage itself out of obscurity, it bloody well better be for the average user or they're done.
  12. astrobill's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    #12  
    I actually disagree with the initial poster that the Pre isn't as fast or good as and Android phone, such as the HTC Hero.

    I owned a Pre from one of the initial builds (the flower box) for 29 days, returning it only after the constant resets from the loose battery, a growing screen crack, and the silly charger door cover got to me. I was also worried about the Oreo effect, which my initial "replacement" Pre had. Also, a lot of the features initially missing in WebOS were annoying (e.g., couldn't turn off ringer without turning off alarm!).

    I've now owned a Sprint HTC Hero for two weeks, and can compare the phones from first-hand experience.

    Bottom line:

    1. The Pre is actually a LOT faster than the Hero, and the screen is much brighter, clearer, and faster than the Hero. The Hero is very laggy compared to the Pre. Not sure where you got the idea the Pre is slower?

    2. Palm is correct that WebOS is a LOT better integrated and easier to use than Android. The multitasking advantage of the Pre is DEFINITELY apparent. On the Hero/Android, I have to back out of apps step by step and then tap through all the menu screens to do anything else... or to copy and paste data from app to app. It's like that amusing iPhone commercial where they try to show that one can "multitask" on the iPhone, but really, the guy is tapping through menus like mad to make it look like it's as easy as the Pre to use.

    3. The Pre's Calendar and Contact apps are FAR superior than anything I've been able to find on the Android Market. There's no weekly view on any Android calendar out there so far, especially not the layered, multi-calendar weekly view the Pre offers. There are a TON of othre things the Pre calendar does that make it much nicer and easier to use...I posted about them over on the Android forums. And the Pre lets you tap on any contact in any app and do pretty much anything, like text them or e-mail them, no matter which app you're in. Nothing like that comes to Android until 2.1 at the earliest, and even then contact interactions won't be as integrated as WebOS.

    If it weren't for my disappointing initial experience with the Pre's build quality and issues, I'd go back to it. One misses WebOS after having it for a while...

    - Astro
    Last edited by astrobill; 12/23/2009 at 08:09 AM.
  13.    #13  
    I would say a power-user is someone who needs to do a lot of things very quickly-- not necessarily a business user.

    The Pre is a gorgeous multi-tasker, but just slow.

    One thing that has struck me about this forum is that generally people who have come from a full-features smartphone (Treos, Touch Pros, Blackberries, etc) are usually the ones who have problems with the Pre and it's lack of speed and functionality.

    Similarly the people who love the phone exactly as is and don't notice the lag are people coming from cell phones or feature/messaging phones. Not always, but just a trend I've noticed.

    I don't know about you, but I would think that someone who has used the most full-featured of devices would have a more well-balanced opinion.

    It's like taking a Mercedes owner and a Ford Pinto owner and asking them both to try out a mid-range Nissan Sentra. The Mercedes owner, who has tried out the best car in the market, can more accurately attest to the shortcomings of the Nissan.

    While the Ford Pinto guy is just happy the car is running and doesn't look like a shopping cart.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    What defines a power user?
    I am a power user... I pay my CPS Energy bill once a month!
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    I am a power user... I pay my CPS Energy bill once a month!
  16. jdub2027's Avatar
    Posts
    65 Posts
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by ali.fazal View Post
    It'll never be the fastest phone, or the most responsive phone, or the most customizable phone-- but that's okay, because it's also priced at half of what those other phones are.
    I paid $200 for my Pre...
  17. bruba's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    #17  
    I don't know. I don't see how a casual user would not be annoyed by lag, for example. A casual user might not care about multitasking, while it wants to take video once in a while. A casual user cares about games (just look at the iPortables). etc.

    I think it's a phone for everyone. Palm just needs to work on a couple of aspects and it'll be good for anyone.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by a2k View Post
    Here! Here! Point taken as my five year old owns and operates a Pre!
    Yikes! I'm pretty sure kids are rough on, well anything not sure I would trust mine with an expensive fragile device like the pre!
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    The Pixi is just a Pre with cheaper hardware. If the Pixi is not for "power users", neither is the Pre.

    I don't really see the iPhone as a power user device either though.
    I'll second and third that.

    Power users to me are those that want to hack and customize the crap out of their phone. That definitely isn't the iphone. Jailbreaking is as close as you'll come but is simple.

    The Pre is much more open for power users though the hardware could be better. But still, the main audience for the Pre are novice users.

    I don't agree though with some that Palm positioned the Pre as an iphone killer. They really didn't..that was the media. But i wish Palm would have followed the media's lead. And had aggressively attacked the iphone as well through marketing.
  20. #20  
    I disagree with the OPs premise as well. From a hardware perspective the Pre has some serious juice under the hood. The pre is faster and overall much smoother and more integrated than the Hero - Which really needs a power user in order to be used on a daily basis- and gets old.

    And I also believe the Pre is an iphone killer! What does the iphone do better than the pre? I would say the iphone has a sllighly better web browser and better battery life. That is about it.

    The only place the pre is lacking is applications. Both iphone and android have an enourmous amount of free and useful apps. In the webos store it seems everyone wants $.99 for rediculously stupid applications. Hopefully this changes.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions