Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 62
  1. sjaakb's Avatar
    Posts
    147 Posts
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    #41  
    I'm quite pleased with the Pre, lookin' at the droid and Iphone's shapes/sizes I cannot see me putting them in my jeans and have them fit comfortable. Slow? really? not an issue here. No 80 million Apps? out of which 7.999999.3 don't do anything that makes your life easier. Oh, the WebOS works like a charm, like one poster stated. His 5 year old could work it. Hey, that is called ease of use! Nice feature I'd think.......
    Anyway, I like what I have and works quite well for me as a business user.
    Happy Holidays Kidz!
  2. #42  
    I consider myself a power user, but I'd never consider the iPhone or Blackberry. Neither provide the flexibility of use. I use my phone to rock to music while I'm working out, read books while I'm on cardio machines, answer text and e-mails while still on the machines and listening to music. Then I record my workout stats, enter information into my food diary. After workout, I listen to Podcast news while I get dress and hook up my Pre to audio cord to listen to locally recorded news on my drive to work.

    At work I listen to smooth Jazz or audio books while I get my work done. When staff catch me away from my desk, I record quick notes and send it to my desk top, via e-mail so that I don't forget. I record my meeting notes with Evernote or DTG in classic. When the meetings are over, I have typed draft notes. When I'm on the train (to visit my kids in SF) I watch movies or listen to audio books. If I want a larger screen, I hook up my Pre to my laptop to view movies or use my Pre as a modem to watch recorded movies and shows through Orb or netflix.

    Due to universal search, I haven't used the Pre launcher since the first month of use. I type in first initial of app or 1st initial of first and last name for contacts. All of these things are done quickly and efficiently. Oh and btw, my secretary and her backup schedule my appointments on my GroupWise work calendar and my Google calendar by simply adding my gmail address to the appointment.

    What exactly makes the average business person's use casual?

    Aside from all that, I can also listen to my daily bible lesson through my bible website. Anything could be made better, but I'm very happy with my Pre as it currently is(thanks to the PreCentral and Homebrew community).
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by astrobill View Post
    I actually disagree with the initial poster that the Pre isn't as fast or good as and Android phone, such as the HTC Hero.

    I owned a Pre from one of the initial builds (the flower box) for 29 days, returning it only after the constant resets from the loose battery, a growing screen crack, and the silly charger door cover got to me. I was also worried about the Oreo effect, which my initial "replacement" Pre had. Also, a lot of the features initially missing in WebOS were annoying (e.g., couldn't turn off ringer without turning off alarm!).

    I've now owned a Sprint HTC Hero for two weeks, and can compare the phones from first-hand experience.

    Bottom line:

    1. The Pre is actually a LOT faster than the Hero, and the screen is much brighter, clearer, and faster than the Hero. The Hero is very laggy compared to the Pre. Not sure where you got the idea the Pre is slower?

    2. Palm is correct that WebOS is a LOT better integrated and easier to use than Android. The multitasking advantage of the Pre is DEFINITELY apparent. On the Hero/Android, I have to back out of apps step by step and then tap through all the menu screens to do anything else... or to copy and paste data from app to app. It's like that amusing iPhone commercial where they try to show that one can "multitask" on the iPhone, but really, the guy is tapping through menus like mad to make it look like it's as easy as the Pre to use.

    3. The Pre's Calendar and Contact apps are FAR superior than anything I've been able to find on the Android Market. There's no weekly view on any Android calendar out there so far, especially not the layered, multi-calendar weekly view the Pre offers. There are a TON of othre things the Pre calendar does that make it much nicer and easier to use...I posted about them over on the Android forums. And the Pre lets you tap on any contact in any app and do pretty much anything, like text them or e-mail them, no matter which app you're in. Nothing like that comes to Android until 2.1 at the earliest, and even then contact interactions won't be as integrated as WebOS.

    If it weren't for my disappointing initial experience with the Pre's build quality and issues, I'd go back to it. One misses WebOS after having it for a while...

    - Astro
    I own a Pre (since launch) and a Hero (a little over a month now).
    We also have 2 Pre's and 2 Hero's in my household.

    1. This couldn't be further from the truth in my experience. The Pre experiences far more lag in general use and navigation. Also, I have yet to mishandle a call on my Hero due to lag. This happens regularly on the Pre (for both my wife and I).

    2. You are significantly misrepresenting the multi-tasking on the Hero/Android. You do not have to back out of everything. You can hit the home key at anytime to return to your main homescreen or hold the home key for a couple seconds to display a task list of currently open apps (to switch to). It takes nearly the identical effort to switch apps on the Pre. Although it may not be considered quite as "elegant".

    3. The Hero is oddly missing a week view but it seems that nearly every other android phone has this(?). The G1 apparently had week view as do others. It seems to be some type of oversight(?). Also, to clarify, the Hero does have full multi-calendar support. In addition, it also has a agenda view and homscreen widgets for making that information readily available. This is my preferred method/view. Contacts are a wash imo. They are both very very similar. I believe that Android also links Linkedin contacts? If that matters to anyone. I do not use it on my phone.

    There are many things I like about the Hero and many things I like about the Pre. Unfortunately I am primarily using the Hero because of the glaring feature sets / applications missing from the Pre. I hope the Pre gets there.

    I also disagree with the premise that the Pre is an entry level device. You do not engineer a device with it's feature set and develop a OS with it's aspirations in hopes of placing an entry level device on the market. You are significantly short changing yourself and Palm (imo).
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 12/24/2009 at 07:50 PM.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by pattavino View Post
    I dont get the whole BB as a business phone. What does it have that Palm doesnt? OK push notification, well we have seen how well that works, besides what is so important that you cant wait 1 min for your emails to get to your phone. Second, its a classless phone. Everyone I have seen looks like the original palm treo, which I have had almost every model that came out. They just look plain and the screen quality isnt that great. Third, they just added a camera to their phones a year ago and I believe they dont have a video recorder either. Fourth, have you tried using that trackball thingy? What is that about, click, click, click move the ball around, click, click, click, click move the ball around, click, click, click, click move the ball around, click, click, click, click move the ball around, click, click, click, click move the ball around, click, click, click, click OH THERE IS MY CONTACT APP, move the ball around, click, click, click, click move the ball around, click, click, click, click OK NOW I CAN EDIT MY CONTACT.
    This has to be one of the most ignorant statements I have seen one Precentral. I won't go into all the features of a BB that makes it far superior for enterprise/cooperate use (security, management, etc.). Anyone can find that information easily, if you really care to enlighten yourself.
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 12/24/2009 at 07:27 PM.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    I consider myself a power user, but I'd never consider the iPhone or Blackberry. Neither provide the flexibility of use. I use my phone to rock to music while I'm working out, read books while I'm on cardio machines, answer text and e-mails while still on the machines and listening to music. Then I record my workout stats, enter information into my food diary. After workout, I listen to Podcast news while I get dress and hook up my Pre to audio cord to listen to locally recorded news on my drive to work.

    At work I listen to smooth Jazz or audio books while I get my work done. When staff catch me away from my desk, I record quick notes and send it to my desk top, via e-mail so that I don't forget. I record my meeting notes with Evernote or DTG in classic. When the meetings are over, I have typed draft notes. When I'm on the train (to visit my kids in SF) I watch movies or listen to audio books. If I want a larger screen, I hook up my Pre to my laptop to view movies or use my Pre as a modem to watch recorded movies and shows through Orb or netflix.

    Due to universal search, I haven't used the Pre launcher since the first month of use. I type in first initial of app or 1st initial of first and last name for contacts. All of these things are done quickly and efficiently. Oh and btw, my secretary and her backup schedule my appointments on my GroupWise work calendar and my Google calendar by simply adding my gmail address to the appointment.

    What exactly makes the average business person's use casual?

    Aside from all that, I can also listen to my daily bible lesson through my bible website. Anything could be made better, but I'm very happy with my Pre as it currently is(thanks to the PreCentral and Homebrew community).

    I would consider that a power user too!!

    Here's how I work with mine:

    The 3 alarms set 7 minutes apart wake me up. Eventually. I love "snooze".
    I stream Pandora through the Aux jack on my stereo while picking out clothes and saying good morning to the twitterverse.

    At work, as I am working I will constantly be adding things to Evernote on my Pre that I think of during the day (no evernote allowed on work PC. or anything else for that matter). I also am often in the middle of a couple of IM converations that kind of span the course of the day with people. I am able to stay on top of my emails that are blocked on work computers, while tweeting incessantly. Don't worry, I have the sort of job that only has so much busy work that can be done, and we are in a very slow season right now.

    After work I often listen to podcasts or Pandora on the way home. I might stop to take a video or picture of someone's off-the-charts Christmas light display while at a stop light, and upload that to twitter really quick. (I do so love twitter ) After I get home I stream Pandora while making a little snack before getting changed to go work out.

    While at the gym I tweet, and text while lifting, and record everything in the workout tracker app. Of course remix is playing some Rise Against or Chiodos as this goes on. Then while I'm walking on the treadmill to warm up I will often browse craigslist for jobs (I'm only PT at the moment) and reply from my phone and send the resume I emailed myself to the prospective employer. Then, I'll probably get concerned about how broke I am and look online at my accounts really quick. Then I have to actually put the Pre down (worst part of the day! lol) while I rock out and do my running. After a couple of miles I usually move to an elliptical machine since I've got some many @replies and texts that I want to return and make plans for later.

    At home I usually have music playing on my Pre in one way or another and use it as my number one way of staying in touch with all of my favorite social networking sites (come on Stickam app!).

    On a school day I use the class tracker app to keep track of assignments and my current grades. The calendar on this sync with my other calendars, so it's a pretty well integrated experience.

    Everything else I usually schedule on google calendar. Any event invite I confirm on FB syncs as well, complete with event details such as address and whatever blurb they creator wrote about the party. Yes, it's usually a party.

    I really don't go much more than about a half an hour throughout the day without pulling it out to do something. I know almost everything I listed is just for fun and socializing --aside from all of the job searching I do on the craigslist app or web browser-- but I do not think that the lack of income generated from my actions changes the fact that I'm somewhat of a power user. Some may disagree, but I'd say that depending on a device so many times in a day, often to be able to do at least three things at once, is "Power Use". And fortunately, the Pre has a lot of power.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by igobytony View Post
    I would consider that a power user too!!

    Here's how I work with mine:

    The 3 alarms set 7 minutes apart wake me up. Eventually. I love "snooze".
    I stream Pandora through the Aux jack on my stereo while picking out clothes and saying good morning to the twitterverse.

    At work, as I am working I will constantly be adding things to Evernote on my Pre that I think of during the day (no evernote allowed on work PC. or anything else for that matter). I also am often in the middle of a couple of IM converations that kind of span the course of the day with people. I am able to stay on top of my emails that are blocked on work computers, while tweeting incessantly. Don't worry, I have the sort of job that only has so much busy work that can be done, and we are in a very slow season right now.

    After work I often listen to podcasts or Pandora on the way home. I might stop to take a video or picture of someone's off-the-charts Christmas light display while at a stop light, and upload that to twitter really quick. (I do so love twitter ) After I get home I stream Pandora while making a little snack before getting changed to go work out.

    While at the gym I tweet, and text while lifting, and record everything in the workout tracker app. Of course remix is playing some Rise Against or Chiodos as this goes on. Then while I'm walking on the treadmill to warm up I will often browse craigslist for jobs (I'm only PT at the moment) and reply from my phone and send the resume I emailed myself to the prospective employer. Then, I'll probably get concerned about how broke I am and look online at my accounts really quick. Then I have to actually put the Pre down (worst part of the day! lol) while I rock out and do my running. After a couple of miles I usually move to an elliptical machine since I've got some many @replies and texts that I want to return and make plans for later.

    At home I usually have music playing on my Pre in one way or another and use it as my number one way of staying in touch with all of my favorite social networking sites (come on Stickam app!).

    On a school day I use the class tracker app to keep track of assignments and my current grades. The calendar on this sync with my other calendars, so it's a pretty well integrated experience.

    Everything else I usually schedule on google calendar. Any event invite I confirm on FB syncs as well, complete with event details such as address and whatever blurb they creator wrote about the party. Yes, it's usually a party.

    I really don't go much more than about a half an hour throughout the day without pulling it out to do something. I know almost everything I listed is just for fun and socializing --aside from all of the job searching I do on the craigslist app or web browser-- but I do not think that the lack of income generated from my actions changes the fact that I'm somewhat of a power user. Some may disagree, but I'd say that depending on a device so many times in a day, often to be able to do at least three things at once, is "Power Use". And fortunately, the Pre has a lot of power.
    Whoa there. I consider you a power user. I don't define power user by generating income. A power user is simply someone who uses multiple functions on the device to get the full potential out of their Pre. You take notes, text, listen to music, twitter, answer e-mails and use your Pre as an alarm clock.

    I'm sure you also use the video function for movies and podcasts. It sounds like you also use the beta version of Precorder to record videos. I know you don't use it to mow your lawn, but how much more can a power user do.

    BTW, thanks for reminding me that I view my blog and personal e-mail on my Pre when I'm at work due to blocked websites. We are all slowly getting to the point where private or personal sites are banned. Don't get me wrong, I respect and understand that IT doesn't want to clean up the work network system because someone downloaded a virus, via their personal e-mail.
  7. #47  
    no problem for the reminder, bdhu2001. our computers are so locked down, it isn't even funny. and i respect that.

    it's funny you should mention watching videos, because i was just watching something on youtube and heard some cheesy music in the background. so i had to go through a few cards (twitter and IM of course, and a browser page) to find this skee-ball game i was playing before youtube. the music in the game had finished it's cycle and restarted, haha. i guess i should have closed it, but i was going to play again after the video.
  8. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by pattavino View Post
    Fourth, have you tried using that trackball thingy? What is that about, click, click, click move the ball around, click, click, click, click move the ball around, click, click, click, click move the ball around, click, click, click, click move the ball around, click, click, click, click move the ball around, click, click, click, click OH THERE IS MY CONTACT APP, move the ball around, click, click, click, click move the ball around, click, click, click, click OK NOW I CAN EDIT MY CONTACT.
    and click again
  9. #49  
    the phone is not an iphone or a blackberry, they have stated several times it is the phone in between. period end of story. its not a toy like the iphone is dedicated for. nor is it a work horse like the blackberry is. its a playing workhorse.

    the iphone is all apps ans stupid stuff for people who like to play with phones.
    the blackberry is keeping track of your life with calendar, email sync and all that good work stuff.

    pre does it all......use it for work, but you can still play with it.

    use it for apps and to play with, but let it keep you in touch with family, friends and coworkers. keep up with emails and calendar sync.

    this is what they said the pre was intended for from day one.

    thank you for your time remember the oompa loompas are watching you
    Pre be with you.

    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. -- Winston Churchill

    Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities. -- Aldous Huxley
  10. Crimson's Avatar
    Posts
    156 Posts
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    #50  
    I'm not sure where people get the impression that the iPhone is a 'business' phone. I work for THE largest company in the world. The iPhone is NOT an approved device. (Of course, neither is the Pre).. BlackBerry's and the old Palm's are.. I suspect much of corporate America is the same. The iPhone is a damn popular phone, but it really has not been accepted by Corporate America yet.
  11. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #51  
    BB is the biggest dumbphone that can only do one thing i.e. EMAIL.
    Save for the STORM, none of the BBs have bigger screen. And its 2010 in a week yet they do not have touchscreen on their phones (leave the STORM here, which is a Lab experiment).
    The browser is still circa 2005.
    And Click click click ............
    But folks like it. Sometimes doing onething better (Email) is the way to go.
    PALM should go after BB rather than iPhone.
  12. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
    I'm not sure where people get the impression that the iPhone is a 'business' phone. I work for THE largest company in the world. The iPhone is NOT an approved device. (Of course, neither is the Pre).. BlackBerry's and the old Palm's are.. I suspect much of corporate America is the same. The iPhone is a damn popular phone, but it really has not been accepted by Corporate America yet.
    Corporate america won't aprove anything other than BB or WinMo.
    Because they don't know any better. Though lately iPhone is getting popular in corporate circles. Its like how Corporate America is tied to Microsoft
  13. #53  
    Corp america (nice term) is stubborn to want to fix what aint broken. If blackberries are doing the trick, then one would need to convince how using something else would be better, worth the cost of training or adopting and all that.

    Kind of like trying to convince companies to upgrade to office 2007 or 2010 (both which require a learning curve as they depart from 2003) when older versions do the trick.

    If i'm a really competitive business, i might (and i stress might) consider iphone to lure the better hires but it'd be just that..a lure or basically a fringe benefit. Not a need.
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Corporate america won't aprove anything other than BB or WinMo.
    Because they don't know any better. Though lately iPhone is getting popular in corporate circles. Its like how Corporate America is tied to Microsoft
    Do some research... There are some VERY GOOD security reasons for why BB and WM phones are preferred by "Corporate America".
  15. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    Do some research... There are some VERY GOOD security reasons for why BB and WM phones are preferred by "Corporate America".
    You sir, have good grasp of things. Sure I will do some research.
    But we do not need the level of encryption needed for both President of Americ and terrorists too.
    BB is popular with mom and pop company running Google email to teenager texters , but they can be better served by iPhone or Pre.
    Its 2010 , and the thing is not touchscreen is laughable (save for the STORM).
  16. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by ali.fazal View Post
    As a launch day Pre user, I would often get frustrated with the Pre for some reason or other.

    Recently, however, I've come to the realization that the Pre is merely an entry-level type of device, and for that, it is simply AMAZING.

    I don't think one can expect to compare it with other so-called "comparable" devices like the iPhone or the Droid because it's not built for the power user. It'll never be the fastest phone, or the most responsive phone, or the most customizable phone-- but that's okay, because it's also priced at half of what those other phones are.
    Really ?
    Wow, leave the iPhone aside , this thing blows the DROID or any other phone in web browsing.
    That's a must have feature for any Super Phone.
    I cannot argue with you on the entire post , cause you have some good points. But to say that the Pre is an "ENTRY LEVEL DEVICE" makes your post ridiculous as in "RIDICULOUS".

    Entry level devices don't have a 3 inch touchscreen and a super browser with proximity sensor and such. Not to talk about the processor, which could be used in a Netbook with correct hardware and software components.

    Sure its missing many things , but please this is not an entry level phone.
    OKAY.
  17. #57  
    Three inches is the LOWEST of the low-end for touchscreen size these days. I mean, a Samsung Instinct has a bigger screen. The first crappy Blackberry Storm has a bigger screen.

    As for the browser, what it has in speed, it lacks in anchor support, smooth scrolling text resizing, and being able to run multiple pages within one instance instead of eating up memory with multiple browser leaks.

    Honestly, every device save for the n900 has compromises when it comes to browsing.
  18. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Corp america (nice term) is stubborn to want to fix what aint broken. If blackberries are doing the trick, then one would need to convince how using something else would be better, worth the cost of training or adopting and all that.

    Kind of like trying to convince companies to upgrade to office 2007 or 2010 (both which require a learning curve as they depart from 2003) when older versions do the trick.

    If i'm a really competitive business, i might (and i stress might) consider iphone to lure the better hires but it'd be just that..a lure or basically a fringe benefit. Not a need.
    BB is a fine Email gadget, probably the best.
    But what good is a BB if you are a corporate executive wanting to browse the internet or check google maps or watch video.
    Sure you can do all that.
    But its browser is horrible (though PIE on WinMo is worse), the screen is small (leave the STORM) and the navigation is "Click " "Click" and "Click" ( Like another post in this thread).
    Matter of fact, you can do all that in a Motorola RAZR. The point is which phone is effective ? (saves time) and elegant (bigger touch screen) ?
    I say the iPhone and Pre are the best out there.
    Corp America is more about damage control than trying out better things. The CIOs are worried about safeguarding the Email if the phone is lost or stolen. The remote wipe feature was popular with BBs , but iPhone has it and so are many WinMos. But they prefer BB , because ?
    no learning curve.
    Nobody wants to "Learn" .
    iPhone with a keyboard (APPLE might get one) if announced will kill the BB for good ( provided BB remains at the same level of features ).
  19. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Three inches is the LOWEST of the low-end for touchscreen size these days. I mean, a Samsung Instinct has a bigger screen. The first crappy Blackberry Storm has a bigger screen.

    As for the browser, what it has in speed, it lacks in anchor support, smooth scrolling text resizing, and being able to run multiple pages within one instance instead of eating up memory with multiple browser leaks.

    Honestly, every device save for the n900 has compromises when it comes to browsing.
    I agree , its the lowest end of the touchscreens. PALM could have done a 3.5 inch. I am hoping for a bigger screen announcement in the CES.
    And the browser could be better. But just my observation, I was messing with my Pre the other day. The browser on the original WebOS ( 1.0.1 ? ) was faster than the current one. Things got worse after patching and such.

    But my point is calling this phone an entry level ? hmmm,
    Entry level phone is something like Instinct or a moto Q with WinMo.
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Three inches is the LOWEST of the low-end for touchscreen size these days. I mean, a Samsung Instinct has a bigger screen. The first crappy Blackberry Storm has a bigger screen.
    The Instinct and Pre both have the same size screen at 3.1". The BB Storms 1 & 2 have a 3.25", a whopping 1/8" larger.

    I think it's more a matter of preference vs. an inferiority of a smaller screen. You're going to encounter times when any screen seems a little small for what you're doing. But then you run into the Droid with the giant screen that's too large for most people to operate with one hand.

    And I think better resolution, brightness, and sharpness are more important than another .25"-.5" of display area.

    To each his own.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions