Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 62
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I don't agree though with some that Palm positioned the Pre as an iphone killer. They really didn't..that was the media. But i wish Palm would have followed the media's lead. And had aggressively attacked the iphone as well through marketing.
    Still waiting for any Palm ad to actually show the OS in close-up for more than a second or two.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Anderson View Post
    I disagree with the OPs premise as well. From a hardware perspective the Pre has some serious juice under the hood. The pre is faster and overall much smoother and more integrated than the Hero - Which really needs a power user in order to be used on a daily basis- and gets old.
    Not even Sprint agrees with that, as evidenced by their pricing.

    The Pre does have serious juice under the hood. Only a moderate amount is being used (e.g. processor is underclocked, GPU disabled, memory leaks abound). The Hero has an older processor but it using every bit of available, plus has apps to actually tap into that hardware.

    And I also believe the Pre is an iphone killer! What does the iphone do better than the pre? I would say the iphone has a sllighly better web browser and better battery life. That is about it.
    Yeah....let's go with that.
  3. #23  
    Palm needs to catch up there hardware to the software.


    Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Still waiting for any Palm ad to actually show the OS in close-up for more than a second or two.
    Me and you both. Maybe this will be a CES announcement.
  5. Leke's Avatar
    Posts
    597 Posts
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by glenada View Post
    The Pre shouldn't have been touted as 'the iPhone killer.' I believe that raised expectations too high. This phone is not for the average user.
    I completely agree, this is why till this day I'm still regretting my purchase. Even some of the most basic function we have yet to receive. I mean we're just now getting "forward text" no video recorder or voice meme. I just feel the device was released VERY prematurely. Palm should have been thinking about the users and business, in this business its all about market share. Your competition is Apple, BB, Android, and Nokia, you can claim your not trying to compete but who are you kidding? If you had barely 30 useless apps and missing basic functions from out the box then your NOT ready to be released!!
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I'll second and third that.

    Power users to me are those that want to hack and customize the crap out of their phone. That definitely isn't the iphone. Jailbreaking is as close as you'll come but is simple.

    The Pre is much more open for power users though the hardware could be better. But still, the main audience for the Pre are novice users.

    I don't agree though with some that Palm positioned the Pre as an iphone killer. They really didn't..that was the media. But i wish Palm would have followed the media's lead. And had aggressively attacked the iphone as well through marketing.
    Yes, but even if they attacked the iPhone with marketing, people would've realized that these phones are two completely different animals after they actually used it on a day to day basis. Then, 'word of mouth' (which is the ULTIMATE in advertising) would have ruled, regardless.
  7. spare's Avatar
    Posts
    662 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I'll second and third that.

    Power users to me are those that want to hack and customize the crap out of their phone. That definitely isn't the iphone. Jailbreaking is as close as you'll come but is simple.

    The Pre is much more open for power users though the hardware could be better. But still, the main audience for the Pre are novice users.

    I don't agree though with some that Palm positioned the Pre as an iphone killer. They really didn't..that was the media. But i wish Palm would have followed the media's lead. And had aggressively attacked the iphone as well through marketing.
    Interesting opinion. So Blackberry users aren't power users to you? Hmm.. I've always figured business users were one type of power user.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    Interesting opinion. So Blackberry users aren't power users to you? Hmm.. I've always figured business users were one type of power user.
    I dont get the whole BB as a business phone. What does it have that Palm doesnt? OK push notification, well we have seen how well that works, besides what is so important that you cant wait 1 min for your emails to get to your phone. Second, its a classless phone. Everyone I have seen looks like the original palm treo, which I have had almost every model that came out. They just look plain and the screen quality isnt that great. Third, they just added a camera to their phones a year ago and I believe they dont have a video recorder either. Fourth, have you tried using that trackball thingy? What is that about, click, click, click move the ball around, click, click, click, click move the ball around, click, click, click, click move the ball around, click, click, click, click move the ball around, click, click, click, click move the ball around, click, click, click, click OH THERE IS MY CONTACT APP, move the ball around, click, click, click, click move the ball around, click, click, click, click OK NOW I CAN EDIT MY CONTACT.
  9. Leke's Avatar
    Posts
    597 Posts
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by pattavino View Post
    I dont get the whole BB as a business phone. What does it have that Palm doesnt? OK push notification, well we have seen how well that works, besides what is so important that you cant wait 1 min for your emails to get to your phone. Second, its a classless phone. Everyone I have seen looks like the original palm treo, which I have had almost every model that came out. They just look plain and the screen quality isnt that great. Third, they just added a camera to their phones a year ago and I believe they dont have a video recorder either. Fourth, have you tried using that trackball thingy? What is that about, click, click, click move the ball around, click, click, click, click move the ball around, click, click, click, click move the ball around, click, click, click, click move the ball around, click, click, click, click move the ball around, click, click, click, click OH THERE IS MY CONTACT APP, move the ball around, click, click, click, click move the ball around, click, click, click, click OK NOW I CAN EDIT MY CONTACT.
    Push notification is VERY important in business, it can possibly a make or lose money for users. Yes it does resemble the treo so what! It's a great QWERTY setup no need to get fancy. As for adding camera and video recording you better check your fact it's been well over a year on several models. Track ball is just enough for most functions within the device. One of the main reasons users are frustrated with the iPhone as a business phone.
    Last edited by Leke; 12/23/2009 at 11:59 AM.
  10. #30  
    I disagree with the original post. I am a former Treo user and was satisfied using 750 and 800 with WinMo. I now have the pixi and it is an enormous improvement in the operating system and hardware. I don't know what a power user is, but I am a business and personal user of email, phone, contacts, calendar, texting, GPS nav, games and web surfing. In every aspect it is more advanced than my old treo. The only thing I miss is a navigational pad which would be helpful for correcting typing mistakes.

    - Comparing the pre and pixi to a blackberry is like comparing a computer to a fax machine.
    - Android is basically a more stable version of WinMo.
    - When I show people the pixi I say it's like an iphone with a keyboard and better email and calendar programs.

    BTW, even though the name pixi is not geared for adult men, I think the pre looks like a plastic jelly bean toy for kids. The pixi works great for business and looks more masculine and the word "pixi" is not written anywhere on the phone, just saying...

    I totally agree the advertisements don't show the capabilities of these phones.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by astrobill View Post
    I actually disagree with the initial poster that the Pre isn't as fast or good as and Android phone, such as the HTC Hero.
    I've now owned a Sprint HTC Hero for two weeks, and can compare the phones from first-hand experience.

    Bottom line:

    1. The Pre is actually a LOT faster than the Hero, and the screen is much brighter, clearer, and faster than the Hero. The Hero is very laggy compared to the Pre. Not sure where you got the idea the Pre is slower?
    First, please, no actual first-hand experiences. We'd much rather have ignorant assertions and blind speculation.

    Second, where do people get the idea that the Pre is slower? Well, I suppose, from ignorant assertions and blind speculation.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  12. glenada's Avatar
    Posts
    777 Posts
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by yatkins View Post
    I disagree with the original post. I am a former Treo user and was satisfied using 750 and 800 with WinMo. I now have the pixi and it is an enormous improvement in the operating system and hardware. I don't know what a power user is, but I am a business and personal user of email, phone, contacts, calendar, texting, GPS nav, games and web surfing. In every aspect it is more advanced than my old treo. The only thing I miss is a navigational pad which would be helpful for correcting typing mistakes.

    - Comparing the pre and pixi to a blackberry is like comparing a computer to a fax machine.
    - Android is basically a more stable version of WinMo.
    - When I show people the pixi I say it's like an iphone with a keyboard and better email and calendar programs.

    BTW, even though the name pixi is not geared for adult men, I think the pre looks like a plastic jelly bean toy for kids. The pixi works great for business and looks more masculine and the word "pixi" is not written anywhere on the phone, just saying...

    I totally agree the advertisements don't show the capabilities of these phones.
    I saw a Sprint TV commercial the other night that consisted of scenes of happy people using their Pre or Pixi in different situations. I thought it was WAY better than the spacey-chick ads, although it did not mention any of the functions of either phone. Do advertisers believe we're so stupid that we can only gather information by images and sound?

    I think the Pre feels great in the hand. Before I sold my iPhone and was testing out the Pre, the iPhone began to feel heavy and clunky. I did not like the feel of it anymore. I bought a Touchstone back for my Pre and it now feels more useable. It even slipped our of my hand onto a wood floor (pre-Touchstone cover) and I was horrified, but to my big surprise -- no cracks or scratches and it still worked(s).
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
  13. spare's Avatar
    Posts
    662 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by yatkins View Post
    I disagree with the original post. I am a former Treo user and was satisfied using 750 and 800 with WinMo. I now have the pixi and it is an enormous improvement in the operating system and hardware. I don't know what a power user is, but I am a business and personal user of email, phone, contacts, calendar, texting, GPS nav, games and web surfing. In every aspect it is more advanced than my old treo. The only thing I miss is a navigational pad which would be helpful for correcting typing mistakes.

    - Comparing the pre and pixi to a blackberry is like comparing a computer to a fax machine.
    - Android is basically a more stable version of WinMo.
    - When I show people the pixi I say it's like an iphone with a keyboard and better email and calendar programs.

    BTW, even though the name pixi is not geared for adult men, I think the pre looks like a plastic jelly bean toy for kids. The pixi works great for business and looks more masculine and the word "pixi" is not written anywhere on the phone, just saying...

    I totally agree the advertisements don't show the capabilities of these phones.
    About correcting typing mistakes, I believe if you hold down the 'white square' button, you can move the cursor by sliding your finger anywhere across the screen. No need to tap to get the cursor to the right place.

    About Android, I've been hearing it crashes every now and then, is winmo really worse? I took it for granted how stable webos is until I heard about how it's ok when other smartphones crashed.
  14. #34  
    thank you.
    finally someone who knows what they're saying lol.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I don't agree though with some that Palm positioned the Pre as an iphone killer. They really didn't..that was the media. But i wish Palm would have followed the media's lead. And had aggressively attacked the iphone as well through marketing.
    I agree with your post except for the quote above. Wasn't it Roger McNamee that talked about how people would be leaving AT&T and their original iPhones in droves for the Pre? Granted, he may have let his mouth go a bit rouge from the Palm script, but he owns a lot of Palm and propagated the idea that the Pre was an iPhone killer.

    As it stands currently, the Pre is a close iPhone competitor (or killer) for many people. When they open the SDK more and harness the GPU, things will change. The App Catalog will probably never compete with the App Store in quantity of apps but quality is more important to me. In my opinion, the quantity of App Store apps can be a detriment to the iPhone because it's getting hard for new developers to get noticed.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by a2k View Post
    Here! Here! Point taken as my five year old owns and operates a Pre!
    Your 5 year old has a Smartphone? What the **** kind of parent are you?
  17. #37  
    I think a power user is a person who uses "whatever" his or her device of choice is to its maximum potential. What makes the Pre attractive to me is it's potential power, and the degree of interest developers have taken in Web OS. I'm one of those users that enjoys tweaking my device until it does what I want it to do, I know there are others who enjoy this too.
  18. Jimbode's Avatar
    Posts
    424 Posts
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    #38  
    This is a great thread, much more interesting than the threads over on the GSM Pre forum I come from a Palm Treo 680 which I consider to be a full feature Smart Phone and I am so very pleased with the Palm Pre. No lag, no hardware faults. I consider myself a power user. The only issues I have is that Palm won't make the App Catalog useful to anyone outside the US. Oh and O2 (UK) has rubbish reception in my home, but thats not Palm's fault.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    I agree with your post except for the quote above. Wasn't it Roger McNamee that talked about how people would be leaving AT&T and their original iPhones in droves for the Pre? Granted, he may have let his mouth go a bit rouge from the Palm script, but he owns a lot of Palm and propagated the idea that the Pre was an iPhone killer.

    ...
    He's an investor, but he doesn't work for Palm, and Palm almost immediately tried to distance themselves from some of his comments.

    He gets a little carried away with his enthusiasm, putting in a little too much hope, and not enough reality.

    The system for the phone to automatically email ahead when you're running late hasn't quite happened yet either, nor is the Pre really powered by "alient technology".
  20. dwhall's Avatar
    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    The Pixi is just a Pre with cheaper hardware. If the Pixi is not for "power users", neither is the Pre.

    I don't really see the iPhone as a power user device either though.
    There is cheaper hardware than the Pre?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions