1.    #1  
    OK, so I got the Pre in July. I still have the same phone, no problems with it whatsoever. That said, I got fed up with how long it took some things to open. SMS, Calender, Phone App.....

It seemed that everything took too long to happen. So I decided I wanted to take the Blackberry Tour for a spin. I tried it out and here are my thoughts.....

PRE Cons:
    OS:While the BB OS is outdated, it's responsive (for the most part). Apps launch quickly and theres a snapiness to the OS that outdoes the Pre by a long shot. Anytime I selected anything, it opened within a second. It's not the most intuitive interface, but its very responsive.

Email: Since 1.3.1, I've been having problems with my IMAP Gmail account. It doesnt sync at all, whereas the BB Tour received all my emails without a hitch. (I did not have an problems with Pre email prior to 1.3.1)

Build: The Tour has an unmistakably better built quality. Whether it's the tablet form factor or the several years of revisions, it feels solid. I would not want to drop it, but I feel it would be much more forgiving than my Pre. The keyboard is also bigger (although I find not better).

Camera:
    The Tours flash is much brighter than the Pre. Pictures look sharper and more defined in high and low light situations. It also has video as well as an auto-focus.

Pre Pros:
    After using the BB for a few days, I decided to switch back to the Pre.

Browser: The Pre definitely has a much more usable browser. Web pages load quickly and the whole page is easily accessible (with the Tour I often had to zoom, scroll, zoom, move....)

Media: Although the Tour excels with media capture, I found the Pre has much better playback. Videos look sharper and more importantly for me, youtube quality was superb. Whereas other phones I have used seem to have low quality youtube videos, the Pre plays back youtube videos in HD (or so it seems. Compare side by side the same video on the Pre and Iphone/BB/Andriod, you'll see a marginal improvement in the Pre's playback.)

OS: While it is sometimes slow, the OS is extremely potent and to the point. Everything seems like is is 1 or 2 clicks away from your fingertips. In contrast, I found myself digging through menus just to close a program on the Tour. In general, it seems like the Pre is much more user-friendly, and that's due entirely to WebOS.

Contacts: Sprint could not transfer my contacts from my Pre to the Tour. This was due to everything being stored in the cloud, but was still a negative when it came to switching phones. (BTW, adding contacts on the BB was not intuitive. Several clicks of the trackball, as well as much scrolling was needed. If you are used to a BB, it's probably not an issue, but it seemed very difficult compared to the Pre.)

OVERALL: I'm glad to have my Pre back. While it might be slow to do some things, it doesnt compare with the multi-menu/trackball interface of the Blackberry. I feel like I took it for granted when I got it back. I'm no fan boy either, I'll go with whatever phone suits me best. Being able to switch between apps by swiping your finger is as easy as it can get, and most other systems feel outdated. Hopefully once the HW build issues are sorted out, the Pre will be a real contender to the masses.
    Did you know there is an app for gmail in the BB world. Meaning you can install this app enter your gmail email address and all your gmail contacts and settings would transfer to the Tour. I did this and it worked wonderfully, it's much easier than trying to transfer 400 contacts one at a time. I believe this app would work with any BB. My email, calendar and all contacts were in the BB within seconds.
  3.    #3  
    No, I didn't know that. Would have been useful info had I known. I still believe though that things are just easier on the Pre. It's intuitive and simple, yet powerful. the BB was powerful but the OS was so clunky and patched together it didn't really compare in the ease of use category.
    I think closing apps on a BB needs some attention by RIM. It's up to the developer which leads to inconsistent behaviors across apps.

Then again, the BB can run a bunch of apps all day without problems so closing an app is not as necessary as on the Pre.

I agree that the BB is not intuitive but its speed and shortcuts make it more effective.
    Effective depends on the user. I came from BB's to a Pre and I would never go back.
    The only BB pro is the speed and batterylife (and for some BB msger)

Cons for BB are the track ball (always getting dirty, stutters, etc), multiple clicking to get anywhere, switching apps, browser, non-threaded msging and the list goes on and on.
    Quote Originally Posted by FesterTreo View Post
    Effective depends on the user. I came from BB's to a Pre and I would never go back.
    The only BB pro is the speed and batterylife (and for some BB msger)

Cons for BB are the track ball (always getting dirty, stutters, etc), multiple clicking to get anywhere, switching apps, browser, non-threaded msging and the list goes on and on.
    I think the Tour is a bit behind and not a very good point of comparison.

The new trackpad on latest devices has no mechanical parts, it's a great d-pad. Messaging is now threaded, Opera Mini 5 is better than the Pre browser.

Also, clicks are faster than gestures and keyboard shortcuts are fastest. But above all the speed is just liberating.
    Last edited by sivan; 12/23/2009 at 10:38 AM.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    I think closing apps on a BB needs some attention by RIM. It's up to the developer which leads to inconsistent behaviors across apps.

Then again, the BB can run a bunch of apps all day without problems so closing an app is not as necessary as on the Pre.

I agree that the BB is not intuitive but its speed and shortcuts make it more effective.
    This is something I can attest to and agree with. I often found myself trying to figure out how to close and app, and if i was several screens into it (edocrab app for example), I would have to click menu, then scroll to close, then click the trackball just to go back one screen. certainly not as easy as the gesture system.
    Frankly the BB is a better upgrade for Palm OS users than the Pre.
  9. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    My wife has a Tour. The flash on the camera definitely is better than the Pre's. I've noticed the app closing thing too. She loves it though, and loves to talk trash on my Pre.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by dpc View Post
    My wife has a Tour. The flash on the camera definitely is better than the Pre's. I've noticed the app closing thing too. She loves it though, and loves to talk trash on my Pre.
    Hehe, well hopefully this thread will give you some ammo against her Tour
  11.    #11  
    delete

double post
    I got the Pre the first day it was released and really didn't have any issues with it. After the 1.3 update I got annoyed that it was a step backwards. I tried a Hero for a few weeks and at first I liked it but missed a keyboard. I got the Moment and it was nice but I just don't care for sideway sliders and didn't care for bulky/odd design. Now I'm back with a Blackberry Tour and have been using it for a few weeks. I tried the Tour when it first came out for 30 days and then went back to my Pre. Now I'm thinking about trying the Pixi just because I miss a good web browser. I've thought going back to the Pre but I'm kinda tired of slider phones. Like as a phone junkie. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by tbaker55 View Post
    I got the Pre the first day it was released and really didn't have any issues with it. After the 1.3 update I got annoyed that it was a step backwards. I tried a Hero for a few weeks and at first I liked it but missed a keyboard. I got the Moment and it was nice but I just don't care for sideway sliders and didn't care for bulky/odd design. Now I'm back with a Blackberry Tour and have been using it for a few weeks. I tried the Tour when it first came out for 30 days and then went back to my Pre. Now I'm thinking about trying the Pixi just because I miss a good web browser. I've thought going back to the Pre but I'm kinda tired of slider phones. Like as a phone junkie. lol
    The Pre is already so small that there is no way I'd go from a Pre to a Pixi. In addition, you'll miss the wifi.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    The Pre is already so small that there is no way I'd go from a Pre to a Pixi. In addition, you'll miss the wifi.
    I know all the differences between the Pre and Pixi. I like the size of both phones. I prefer front facing keyboards since there a lot easier and quicker for "me" to use. The only thing that I might miss from the Pre is the camera. I don't use WiFi.
    Quote Originally Posted by tbaker55 View Post
    I know all the differences between the Pre and Pixi. I like the size of both phones. I prefer front facing keyboards since there a lot easier and quicker for "me" to use. The only thing that I might miss from the Pre is the camera. I don't use WiFi.
    If wifi and size aren't important for you, then go for it. I use my PDAs for reading and going from the Clie UX50 to Treo was a chore for me. I also missed the wifi and all of the goodies that Sony automatically put with their PDAs. Since you're going from one Palm phone to another, I think only size and wifi would be an issue.

Originally posted by sivan:
    Frankly the BB is a better upgrade for Palm OS users than the Pre.
    I wasn't ready for e-mail being routed from another site and BBs strong points appeared to be text and e-mails. Both are nice, but as long as I can access them and reply that's enough for me. Most of the types of apps that I used weren't available in the BB format and I wasn't willing to give the BB RIM a run. The learning curve would have probably had me be unfair to BB. I was used to touch screens, keyboards, and graffiti. Even with the Pre, I still miss graffiti. I make a lot more errors having to hit the right keys.
    Closing stuff blackberrys is too much work, especially when you know its a flick away on the pre.
    I've never close anything on my Blackberry Tour and battery life is very good. I'm not sure if it helps but no matter what phone I'm using I always power cycle it every morning. I do like Web OS though.
    I gave up on the Pre and retuned to BB via the Tour a couple weeks ago. The 600 Powersave patch bricked it and that sent me into refurb hell. One after the other had a new problem. Totally washed out screen, orange key sticking, Oreo, space bar not clicking, and Sprint finally gave me a "new" one. Warranty Date Code is 5 weeks ago, although the box didn't have the headset inside... This one seemed OK until I tried to apply a screensaver. Merely pushing the air bubbles out caused the slider to start to Oreo. I then got stupid and tried an online fix, pushing the tabs down against the rails. I broke one. Amazingly, the Pre still works and slides fine, but I made the right move for me to the Tour.

The hardware of the Pre, well there is no doubt it is second rate compared to BB, iPhone, HTC, etc. The bottom lip (no I never cut myself) makes the exact sound as a plastic milk jug cap when you flick it with your thumb. Maybe the Pre has more bass. Try it.

I have now had five Pre's and each one had different (uneven) keyboard illumination. Half a key gray, half white. One side dark, the other side lighted. I had no problem with the size of the Pre keyboard. I liked it, with it's dedicated period, comma, and @ symbol.

The Tour is built well (I got the tank-like Otterbox Defender case too), has a great but small screen, and most importantly does what I want it to do. Not in a flashy way maybe, but it works and is dependable.

I use the phone first. All three of my BB's have been excellent phones. My Plantronics 510 headset (considered the gold standard by many) lost a notch of volume with the Pre. Since I work in a loud environment this was important to me. With the Tour I got the notch back. My 510 is plenty loud again (I returned the "upgraded" Voyager Pro as it is not as loud on either phone).

Calls with strings (extensions or account numbers) can't be redialed from the Pre's call log. The Tour does this as my other BB's did.

I enter contacts. The Tour opens Contacts instantly (not in 3 seconds), devours my new info, and I'm done. Cut and paste is a snap. If you think scrolling and tapping each field on the Pre is easier than a trackball, you've never used a BB.

Note: Contacts made on the Pre and synched to Google will download to incorrect fields on the BB. The city, state, and zip will appear in the Address 2 field, where a suite number should go. This may not matter to you, but figuring out why my Telenav wouldn't load my contacts took me a while.

I use the Calendar. Same as above. No 3 seconds to open and no shaded day for a second when going to next. The Tour can instantly go one day ahead or 5 with a single roll of the trackball. Day to Week to Month to AGENDA view is also instant with the press of a single shortcut key.

I create memos. The Tour shows them as memos, in a list. As someone else said here, I'm not a soccer mom. The sticky note thing is too cute, and I'm not able to read them.

Yes I must now "Save" again, but it is almost comforting to do this rather than waiting.

Multitasking has been around forever on the BB. My last BB still had to have both the ALT and Menu key pressed to bring up the App switcher. Now a press and hold of just the menu button (left of the trackball) brings it up and I can scroll to ANY open app (usually around 10 for me) in an instant. Not one at a time like the Pre. I use this all the time now, while before I would just back out of apps and hit the other icon. In other words, the BB multitasks faster than the Pre.

The BB browser still sucks but Opera Mini 5 beta 2 is excellent. Instant back and forward page, not 3 or 4 seconds like on the Pre. Reading (what I do mostly on a phone), say the NY Times, is every bit as pleasurable on the BB as the Pre. Spacebar page down is nifty.

I'm running the leaked 5.0.230, which has threaded text messaging. It's everything I need. The next best thing about 5.0 is the Blackberry logo and progress bar on the startup screen, no longer that irritating stop watch. Voice notes, video, auto focus, Vlingo, FreeRange, BerryWeather. System wide font size adjust is nice.

I've just touched on a few things (this got long enough) and yes the Pre wins in some areas (not battery life though). I feel like an adult again with a real smartphone pda.

I joined this forum during CES at the beginning of this year and enjoyed every minute of it. I stood in line for an hour to buy the Pre on June 6. I wish Palm luck and will continue to watch. I still have the Pre.
    Last edited by galavanter; 12/26/2009 at 04:34 AM.
    I decided to get the wifey a Pixi and now I'm back with Pre. I just got bored with the Tour rather quickly. I surf the web a lot on my phone so the Pre is one of the best if not the best phone for that.