1.    #1  
    I can't believe no one else has written about this! When I assign a picture to a contact and I notice that it didn't come out centered or the way I wanted it to, because lets face it, that little zoom centered box is of no relevance to how the pic looks while calling that contact.

But your telling me you have to redo the whole thing instead of being able to edit the contact pic?

Has anyone else had any workaround or patch or something that can make this easier?
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    It is a small box but that doesn't seem to affect my contact pics. Mine look fine during a call. The small box only seems to affect the small avatar in the text fields. Can you post a pic as an example of what you're seeing? Sometimes the contact pic view can suffer due to the quality/size of the pic. A good example of that is Facebook pics. Some Facebook profile pics are of bad quality (crappy cell phone pics) which end up being rendered even worse on the Pre.

When you say redo the whole thing, what do you mean? How do you want to edit the contact pic? There is editing sw for the pics via your Pre but it requires rooting and the OP of that sw has stated that it has sometimes has limited / unpredictable / not always stable results.
    Last edited by Achill3s; 12/22/2009 at 01:41 PM.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  3.    #3  
    well, what I'm talking about is when you are in your photo albums and you choose a pic and then choose to assign it to a contact. You then choose a contact and a screen comes up with a white box in the middle, like that is where the pic should be placed, but in fact you can go outside of the white lined boundaries quite a bit. I noticed this as after I assigned a pic to a contact, I made a phone call and noticed the contact pic was not positioned the best way it could have been. If when I assigned it, I went outside of the white box and expanded the pic disregarding the white box, the pic would have looked much better.

This is completely different from the way it looks on the avatar for the contact. That pic I could care less about. The one that really matters is the one you see when you make a phone call to a contact who has a pic assigned to them.

Does this clear up what I am trying to say?
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    well, what I'm talking about is when you are in your photo albums and you choose a pic and then choose to assign it to a contact. You then choose a contact and a screen comes up with a white box in the middle, like that is where the pic should be placed, but in fact you can go outside of the white lined boundaries quite a bit. I noticed this as after I assigned a pic to a contact, I made a phone call and noticed the contact pic was not positioned the best way it could have been. If when I assigned it, I went outside of the white box and expanded the pic disregarding the white box, the pic would have looked much better.

This is completely different from the way it looks on the avatar for the contact. That pic I could care less about. The one that really matters is the one you see when you make a phone call to a contact who has a pic assigned to them.

Does this clear up what I am trying to say?

not for me, its still unclear

are you saying that if you center and zoom the white box on the part of the picture you want as a contact pic it is not in the place you want it. IE it is showing a different part of the picture than the place you selected by moving the white box?
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    I am confused too
    ---Pretend that every single person you meet has a sign around his or her neck that says, "Make me feel important." Not only will you succeed in sales, you will succeed in life.
  6.    #6  
    Yes, it shows up centered but all of the controls on the phone app cover up most of the pic. It seems to me that if you go above the white box with the pic, you get to see it much better during a call, even though they did make the end call icon opaque during the latest update. Try assigning a contact pic outside of the white lined boundary and see what you think when making a call. you will see that the contact pic will take up more room on the green phone app screen (or whatever screen you are using if you use the Preware theme jamboree.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I understand what you are referring to but I don't understand what you're asking. A patch? To do what exactly? Either way there is no patch (yet). I find I have better luck setting the contact picture through google.
  8.    #8  
    yeah maybe a patch was not the right choice of words. I actually don't even know what a patch would do except get rid of the white line, so that would be a waste of time.
    Ill try the google pic thang.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Well the behavior of this has been changing with each update so hopefully with the next update it'll be better.
  10.    #10  
    The whole point of this thread is if the pic can be edited once it was assigned? I guess not huh?
    I don't get it, though. If the picture you want to use is already on an existing album, on the Pre, changing the picture is rather trivial affair -from the contact card, in edit mode, just select new picture, when the Pictures app loads, select the album and the picture.

In fact, in the beginning (since all my contacts are from Google Contacts), I had added the contact pics via the Google Contacts page. It's really nice and flexible, lets you pull pictures locally or through an URL. It also lets you crop them.

The only problem is that when the contact picture is shown on the Phone app (during a call), it's not fullscreen and looks horribly compressed. However, when the contact pics are stored on the Pre, they show in full-screen and uncompressed. Pro tip: I've been able to reduce the original picture to 800x600 and they still look amazing.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    I don't get it, though. If the picture you want to use is already on an existing album, on the Pre, changing the picture is rather trivial affair -from the contact card, in edit mode, just select new picture, when the Pictures app loads, select the album and the picture.

In fact, in the beginning (since all my contacts are from Google Contacts), I had added the contact pics via the Google Contacts page. It's really nice and flexible, lets you pull pictures locally or through an URL. It also lets you crop them.

The only problem is that when the contact picture is shown on the Phone app (during a call), it's not fullscreen and looks horribly compressed. However, when the contact pics are stored on the Pre, they show in full-screen and uncompressed. Pro tip: I've been able to reduce the original picture to 800x600 and they still look amazing.
    Yeah, I think my main concern is the phone app. I like the pic to look nice. I also have to familiarize myself with Google contacts. I just want to be able to go to the contact, tap edit, and tap on the avatar, and instead of seeing change and delete, how about add edit to that menu.
    I use the white box as a guide for what my pics look like and it seem to work fine for me. What's in the white box is what you should see when you use the Phone app AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $You$ $can$ $pinch$ $the$ $picture$ $to$ $zoom$ $it$ $and$ $fill$ $the$ $box$ ... $and$ $that$'$s$ $just$ $what$ $I$ $do$.

As someone else suggested, a couple of screen shots might clarify what the problem is. You can use Orange-Sym-P from anywhere (even while you're trying to assign a contact pic) and you should get a nice screen capture in the "Screen captures" folder, which can be posted here.
  14.    #14  
    OK, there is a screen shot. I put the dogs face centered in the white box until it was zoomed all the way to the boundary of the white lines. Now look at what I see when I make a call. If I went above the white boundary line, the pic would look much better when making that call.

Do you see my problem now?????
    Attached Images Attached Images
  15.    #15  
    hopefully you guys check out the pic...
    hopefully you guys check out the pic...
    OK, I think I see what you're talking about now. I never really noticed before, but I just tried it and it does look like the guide box they give you to center/zoom your picture is off by a little bit. Seems that the picture comes out centered a little lower than where it's positioned in the box.

I think it's accentuated on the main screen of the Phone app because the talk/hangup button covers (translucently) the bottom portion of the picture. And, it also doesn't help that the area there is a little more elongated, where other screens use more of a square picture.

Having said all of that, I think if you just adjust for it by either centering the picture a little higher and/or not zooming it quite so much, it should be OK. As I mentioned, I do my contacts the same way and never really even noticed that they were off a little.