Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Okay, so about 2 weeks ago, the little door that protects the USB charger fell off and this morning as I went uncharge my phone I noticed that a crack was starting to occur around the USB opening and leading towards the screen. I just looked at it right now and it has offically started to track into the screen! It not too noticible, seems about maybe a millimeter in, but none the less; if it progresses it'll be noticable in no time!!! So, my question is, will Sprint repair/replace it? If they replace it, will they replace the top screen section or the whole phone and if they happen to replace the whole phone, will I lose all of my tweaks & homebrews?
    They will most likely replace the whole phone. I would take it now and don't take no for an answer. My screen cracked under the glass and they told me it was a warranty issue and wanted me to pay 100 dollars I called Sprint CS and they transferred me to Palm CS both said I need to go back to the store to speak with a manager, I did and got a replacement Pre in 2 days. Yes you will lose all your tweaks and homebrew but you can just reapply them all.
    I've had the crack for about a month or so now. It's small and has just now barely started to go across the screen. I just assumed if I took it in to try and get a replacement they wouldn't do it yet because it is so small. I figured once it spread across the screen a little more I would try and get a replacement, but now I'm wondering if I should go to the Sprint store and try to get a replacement now???
    had this exact same problem, sprint won't do anything. Let me know what your outcome is.
    I have the small crack at the USB door too and have had it for a while. The Sprint rep, actually just a few days ago, told me that unless it affects the function of the phone, they could not replace the phone and categorized it as a "cosmetic" issue only...which is not grounds for a replacement.

I put up a stink and told him when it does affect the phone, I better not be doing something important. He would not budge and told me to come back. So for now, I am left with a crack that is slowly, and I stress slowly, progressing to the screen.

Any advice besides going to a different store or trying on a different rep? Seems like those are the only viable options besides just waiting.
    After nearly 6 months of no hardware issues I'm also getting my first crack. Starting in lower left corner and growing toward the screen. Boo....I guess I need to get over to the Sprint store for a replacement.
    Same on my Pre. I could get a replacement but it will just happen again for its a weakness in the design so things like opening the USB cover and sliding out the keyboard will cause it again. When that "cosmetic" issue starts trickling its way on the display screen, that becomes more than an aesthetic issue.
    I have treated this phone very very carefully to avoid these kind of issues. To me it's a clear case of a manufacturing defect and being as I have a 1 year warranty protecting me from such issues I'm expecting it to be replaced. If I get flack the poor associate at the Sprint store is going to have the worst day ever.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I have a similar situation. After more than six months trouble free, a crack appeared in the lower right corner of my Pre. Right now, it is quite short, but I assume it is going to creep toward the gesture area, where it might affect functionality. I'm waiting to see if it grows so I have a stronger argument for a replacement (i.e., more than cosmetic). This phone has been handled gently, with no drops...I have to believe it came just from opening the slider.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    I agree with everyone I too have the same crack near my USB port and I too am very careful with my phone! This is my 3rd/4th replacement and it keeps cracking in the same spot each time I just can't win for loose. I have a touchstone and only open the USB door when connecting to computer I even stopped using the car charger so I don't have to open it and Sprint says its "Physical Damage!" Never dropped the phone and it still broke like that hot mess I cant wait for a new device so I can get rid of this thing!
    I think I'm getting the gist of this - the phone are manufactured in the east where the temperatures are moderate (and so the testing is also done at moderate temps), and as you guys are in the middle of winter, the plastic is undergoing cold stress cracking, especially at the points where there are curves. My advice - keep it in a warm environment, and don't let any solvent near it!
    Your kidding right!? I live in St. Louis. It's pouring rain today....winters are warm here. Never in the 27 years I lived in Edmonton Alberta did the electronics in my pocket suffer cold related fractures in the winter, even if I left them in the car outside over night.

Quote Originally Posted by abhinandanjain View Post
    I think I'm getting the gist of this - the phone are manufactured in the east where the temperatures are moderate (and so the testing is also done at moderate temps), and as you guys are in the middle of winter, the plastic is undergoing cold stress cracking, especially at the points where there are curves. My advice - keep it in a warm environment, and don't let any solvent near it!
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abhinandanjain View Post
    Nice theory but I live in Miami and have had the same issue for a couple of months now. The build quality on this phone is very poor and it sucks that we have to play the game of chance when we get to a Sprint store as to whether or not they'll replace it w/o charge. I have the warranty, but I'll gladly pay the $100 when I damage the phone. Not for what appears to be a very common hardware issue. This should be something they cover w/o hassle.
    Just go into the Sprint store and tell them it IS affecting your functionality. My friend who works at a Sprint Store told me that they're not allowed to necessarily argue with customers about stuff like that.

If you say 'The gesture area craps out every now and then', they can't just expect you to sit in the store for hours until it happens, and since there IS a noticeable issue (you can presumably SEE the crack, no matter how small), they'll probably replace it. As opposed to someone going in and saying 'My touchscreen stops randomly' without proof, since there's no visible evidence.
    Guys, same thing on mine, it started out real small by the charging compartment now its 1/4 on the screen and growing, should i contact my insurance or try to go through sprint
    Went to another Sprint store today and told them it was affecting the function of the phone. They claimed they had never heard of this crack before (3 shady Sprint reps) and just deemed it a cosmetic issue. They told me to go to the "repair" store across the street and maybe they could handle it. I am really getting frustrated with the lack of customer support they are offering for this obvious design flaw.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach_Clint View Post
    Guys, same thing on mine, it started out real small by the charging compartment now its 1/4 on the screen and growing, should i contact my insurance or try to go through sprint
    I'd try sprint first. I plan on going to the store with a svc. dept next week and hope for the best. As long as you didn't physically damage the phone to cause the crack, you shouldn't have to cover the replacement cost. This thread and the numerous others on this same topic that I've seen show there is a distinct hardware issue in regards to the usb cover and screen crack. It doesn't hurt to try and see if you get a Sprint rep that's willing to help you out. From what I've seen in the forums, its worked for some and not for others. Good luck!
    and finally...
    Just got off the phone with Palm rep "Danny". He apologized for the way Sprint was handling the issue and is sending me a phone (refurb., I imagine). They are holding a $200 deposit on my credit card until they receive the old phone and waived the $29.95 replacement fee.

He also mentioned that he just finished the training on the new update but wouldn't give me any other information. At least Palm is acknowledging the issue and working with people. I imagine they'll take my phone with the cracked screen, replace the
    screen, and give it to someone else as a refurb. Good thing Phantom Skinz come with 2 in a package.

I would recommend calling Palm support for those with screen issues and having problems with Sprint.
    I finally took my phone into the Sprint store land they ordered a replacement for me. I highly recommend anyone with the crack go into the store and get a replacement. When you go in I would mention that the touchscreen goes in and out sometimes. The Sprint rep who helped me said that that is a common complaint of those who have developed the crack.
    BUILD QUALITY (TM) totally lacking
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast