Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    What are the chances that this " another mobile platform entirely" line is talking about webOs?
    Could it Be?
    Zero.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    That would be a CES announcement on the caliber of last years debut. However I agree that would probably be too much to hope for.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    4 months after the Pre came out, the largest graphics update even hinted at were css transforms

graphical ability on the level of any major iphone game is not going to be met on the pre any time soon
    maybe a future game using the engine in a year or so, but not anytime soon
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Zero.
    1 in three

maemo
    webOS

and the singular moto Droid, all other android devices right now, cannot run it.

still i would say, maemo is a 0
    android is 70%
    webOs is 30%

or 50 50

or random conjecture

loves me some internet forum
    There are four lights.
    I say the only two possible platforms Epic could be hinting at are WebOS or the Zune HD. Android hardware is too diverse, WinMo is a joke right now, Blackberry is even less likely than WinMo, DS and PSP don't have the power.

We all know that the Pre has the power to pull this off and that it just needs support from Palm to make it happen. Palm owned CES last year, and they just might plan to own it again in 2010 with the announcement of WebOS becoming a much more viable platform for gaming as well as more carrier availability. Epic knows what they're doing when it comes to Linux GPU usage, as they've released many of their games for Linux like Unreal Tournament 2004.

The Zune HD is just as likely. The Tegra chip that powers the device is capable of awesome things and has already been proven by games like Audiosurf and Project Gotham Racing being released for the device. There are only around 10 games at most on its App Store (and they're all free), but Microsoft seems to be releasing these apps on a developer by developer basis. They work with big, well known devs to make the games awesome, and it's not ridiculous to believe that they are working with Epic to port Unreal Engine 3 to it.
    no doubt webos.
    Palm has been real quiet lately about what they are doing to push graphics...a little too quiet.
    We've seen need for speed on the pre, and the pre has basically the same CPU and GPU as the iphone so i believe that the pre is the "other platform"
    I think Epic did not make mention of it to press, because it will be a CES shocker for palm
    I dont think it will come anytime soon... capable yes anytime soon no!
    I think it's zero chance over the next 12-18 months. Maybe down the road when the platform matures.
    I gotta say as much as I love webOS and my pre. Something like that would be next to improbable. The only way they could be talking about webOS is if Palm went to Epic and gave them unfettered access to all the api's and hardawre and told them to go nuts.

The likely other platform would be one of the andriod phones (i.e. DRIOD).
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    The only way they could be talking about webOS is if Palm went to Epic and gave them unfettered access to all the api's and hardawre and told them to go nuts.
    Crazier things have happened... And if Palm _did_ give this level of access, would it really be that difficult for Epic to port to the Pre?

A question for the techies out there: could such a platform be created that would simply sidestep WebOS, i.e., load in place of WebOS for the duration of a game? Or would that even be necessary? Certainly, Classic has very low-level access, and it runs in its own card with, as far as I know, no major performance issues.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerskew View Post
    I say the only two possible platforms Epic could be hinting at are WebOS or the Zune HD. Android hardware is too diverse, WinMo is a joke right now, Blackberry is even less likely than WinMo, DS and PSP don't have the power.
    The Pre hardware is more powerful than the PSP? Really? I never would have guessed it given the current state of webOS and 1.3.1 which seems to have introduced a ton of issues. And this is coming from someone who loves his Pre when it's not a slow, laggy mess of "Sorry, too many cards" with 2 cards open.
    As cool as it would be, I wouldn't hold my breath...
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Some interesting thoughts here. I think those who have completely ruled it out may need to consider that the pre does in fact have the hardware required to run these types of software applications. Palm would simply have to allow access to controlling the gpu, and who better than the team working on the unreal engine? Also, since webOs is relying so heavily on java and other web standards, it would make a lot of sense that the Unreal team would be eager to start working on implementing a version of their engine that could work within those parameters. Thinking even further, since the newest version of flash is able to talk directly to gpus maybe we will see a flash version of the engine with the announcement that webOs will be on board with 1.3.5. From a risk standpoint, how would the folks at unreal be taking a gamble porting their engine into flash? Even if Palm crashes and burns, there are millions of pcs running flash players all over the world. I'm thinking its certainly a good possibility but I guess like the rest of you, I'll have to wait and see.
    blackberry storm2?

they just recently demod need for speed on the storm2 using opengl es 2.0.
    if they are capable of that then i dont see why they cant implement unreal.

thinking of it too it will take an os that can handle a large app... a game with unreal engine will not be a tiny app in size.

Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    1 in three

maemo
    webOS

and the singular moto Droid, all other android devices right now, cannot run it.

still i would say, maemo is a 0
    android is 70%
    webOs is 30%

or 50 50

or random conjecture

loves me some internet forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Sittin@work View Post
    We've seen need for speed on the pre...

You mean this?

Hoax: Need For Speed Pre Video
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I'm going to revive this thread I started a few weeks ago based on the 1.3.5 updates in the hopes of revisiting the discussion. Anyone care to recant?
    No.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    No.
    If you don't have anything insightful to add, move along...
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast