Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 81
  1. #61  
    Are you that daft that you think impossibility is a condition of permanence? At one time, it was impossible to prevent the spread of Polio from person-to-person. Then somebody developed a vaccine. At one time, it was impossible to travel the world in a month. Now, it can be done in a day or two. At one time, it was impossible to make an album without going to a recording studio, using a lot of tape, and paying for engineers and booking time. Now it can be done anywhere, on any laptop, for virtually nothing.

    At one time, it was impossible for WebOS to run the Unreal Engine. Now it can. Is this really that hard to grasp?
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Are you that daft that you think impossibility is a condition of permanence? At one time, it was impossible to prevent the spread of Polio from person-to-person. Then somebody developed a vaccine. At one time, it was impossible to travel the world in a month. Now, it can be done in a day or two. At one time, it was impossible to make an album without going to a recording studio, using a lot of tape, and paying for engineers and booking time. Now it can be done anywhere, on any laptop, for virtually nothing.

    At one time, it was impossible for WebOS to run the Unreal Engine. Now it can. Is this really that hard to grasp?
    Friend, it is not hard to grasp. What is hard to grasp is what your claims of 'zero' were based on. And don't say it was based on not knowing the PDK was available. The Internal guys didn't know that the PDK was available but they knew that the possibility was there in 1.3.5. This was at the same time you said 'zero'.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  3. Stihl's Avatar
    Posts
    741 Posts
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    #63  
    is there another forum I can go to?
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Friend, it is not hard to grasp. What is hard to grasp is what your claims of 'zero' were based on. And don't say it was based on not knowing the PDK was available. The Internal guys didn't know that the PDK was available but they knew that the possibility was there in 1.3.5. This was at the same time you said 'zero'.
    Joe already covered this in detail. He was also smarter than me by immediately giving up after laying out his position. I'm just waiting for Herb at this point, and hopefully the business end of a mod's threadclosehammer soon thereafter.
  5. #65  
    Geeze you guys. Lets just be happy that we CAN gloat about WebOS being capable of doing what it does now. @ Mikah, stop entertaining the jabbing if you know it not to be true. Freakin-A! Your original response was obviously one of frustration due to the seaming lack of progress Palm was making on the gaming front. I was frustrated too, and would've given the same answer when posed a blank question. I mean, why must EVERYONE give totally elaborative answers each time they post. It would be annoying to read through anyway.
  6. Jbh613's Avatar
    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
       #66  
    Ok guys, this is not the kind discussion I was looking for at all. As you can see from my post count I dont really care to share my thoughts too often but I viewed the events of that time as an important revalation in the webos community and was hoping to share thoughtfull discussions with other users. If I was looking for a simple yes or no I wouldve setup a survey and spared us all the negativity. Furthermore I will admit that I revived this thread yesterday to gloat.

    Mikah I'll talk to you directly now: You might think that your snide comments and cocky demeanor are ok but they arent. Every time (yes I said every) you post your thoughts you end up making someone else mad. Why do you think that is? Are we all out to get you? No, its because you have this air of superiority that just isnt based in reality. I know most of us learned this at an early age, but I'll throw it out there for you anyways: If you dont have anything good to say, dont say anything at all. Opinions are great, but should I have to ask you specifically to elaborate when everyone else is resonable enough to provide it automatically. Face it, it's clearly an obnoxious way to interact and only makes you look like a fool. At the end of the day it really doesn't matter to me whos right however I am man enough to pony up when I am clearly wrong and will not go to the extent you have in this thread to try and cover my inaccuracies. Introspection my friend...

    Can we all agree Bioshock would be pretty amazing on the Pre? (struggling for common ground)
  7. #67  
    here's to Borderlands on the Pre! (totally ignorant comment, butwishful thinking) :-)
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by JBH613 View Post
    Furthermore I will admit that I revived this thread yesterday to gloat.
    That's like admitting that water's wet. It's patently obvious.

    Again, as I said to Playboy, if you were looking for discussion, your posts in this thread would reflect that. Instead, the vast majority of your posts here have been personal and negative. I never had any intention of going that route, but you had to repeatedly call me out, so now we're here.

    Mikah I'll talk to you directly now: You might think that your snide comments and cocky demeanor are ok but they arent. Every time (yes I said every) you post your thoughts you end up making someone else mad. Why do you think that is? Are we all out to get you?
    Who is "all"? Aside from Herb, and a handful of people here, I get along dandy with everyone on this board, and get thanked often for what I have to contribute. I get along fine with many people I disagree with both on this board and elsewhere. Even in this thread, Joe identified himself as someone who rarely agrees with me, yet we have no issues. It's you select few that walk around with hurt feelings, getting mad, and looking silly. If I saw Herb or you or anyone else here in real life, I'd extend my hand and greet you warmly. It's really, really not that serious.

    Rant rant yap yap yap yadda....At the end of the day it really doesn't matter to me whos right however I am man enough to pony up when I am clearly wrong and will not go to the extent you have in this thread to try and cover my inaccuracies. Introspection my friend...
    This is the funniest part of this thread. You asked quite clearly in the first post the following question: "What are the chances that this 'another mobile platform entirely' line is talking about webOs?"

    ...and it wasn't WebOS. It was Nvidia Tegra. We got it ported after the fact, due to the late addition of the PDK. For all of your yammering about backtracking, being wrong, and covering up, you failed to realize that you were the one that was wrong. Even Herb admitted it.

    Difference is, I didn't care to gloat and left this thread alone after Nvidia's CES presentation because the only reason to revive it would be to descend to your silly level in order to gloat over some sort of perceived "victory". The last time I returned to a long dormant thread was to put myself on record as being wrong and to praise Palm. You did it to feel better about yourself. You win.
  9. Stihl's Avatar
    Posts
    741 Posts
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    #69  
    we all have the same phone, people
  10. Jbh613's Avatar
    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
       #70  
    Yeah borderlands would be pretty great, although probably not a good possibility. I wouldn't say "zero" but prolly minimal.
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2135430

    "I don't think I was particularly harsh on the NFS vid, but I'm more than prepared to eat crow about Rubinstein's comments on the developer call and how it SEEMED to indicate to me that this stuff wasn't a priority.

    I was wrong, wrong, wrong. Exciting address thus far. Still haven't announced what I am waiting for, but still great."
    Here's what you said:
    where Hparsons and I argued over the direction of Pre software development
    Where, in that thread, were you and I "arguing over the direction of Pre software development"? That's not the type of argument I'll typically engage in, because I don't know. I can speculate what I'd like (and it wouldn't be about games), but I don't know.

    I'll grant you that you said you were wrong, but it didn't involve me, from what I can see.
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'll grant you that you said you were wrong, but it didn't involve me, from what I can see.
    Was another thread I created called "Are Native Apps important to you" or something like that. Lots of yapping back and forth, but the point was I totally misread Rubinstein's comments, and am happy to admit being wrong about that. Would be great if other people (not a sideways reference to you. I have some respect for you coming back to this thread at all) could step up to the plate similarly.

    That thread happened to be more relevant and active when the PDK was revealed, so I figured my mea culpa would have more visibility than the one you and I were arguing in. Anyway, it all seems so unimportant and boring now. On to better threads and arguments. Have a good day, sir (I mean that genuinely).
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Herbie, I just wanted to call your attention to the fact that it took you exactly two hours yesterday to enter this thread, jump on the severely anti-rational "Eat crow, and admit you were wrong!" bandwagon, and start a-ranting and thanking everyone taking a shot at me.

    But now that I've brought up something for you to recant, you're nowhere to be found ten hours later, even though you've visited this forum at least twice since I've posted it.

    Good to know you're a man of your word, walking it like you talk it.

    Meanwhile, not only has Joe shown (by your own admission) that they were NOT talking about WebOS as "that other platform" at CES, but he (and this very site's home page) also substantiated my position that without the PDK (which was not in existence to anyone's knowledge at the time), it would've been impossible to bring this over to WebOS. Impossible is merely another way of saying something has a zero chance of happening, but why stop to think when we can gloat?

    In fact, where is everybody else from yesterday wanted to brag?

    Meanwhile, I'll be looking forward to how you reconcile me going out of my way to say - without being prompted by anyone - that I was not only wrong, but happy and excited about a recent move Palm made with this absurd narrative you've spun about me hating my device and the company and spreading doom and gloom around this forum.

    This should be great.
    You're funny.
    Four weeks ago yesterday, I had reconstructive ACL surgery. For the first two weeks, I was off of work, on my back, frequently using only my Pre to communicate. Then things got better.

    Unfortunately, Wednesday's visit to the physical therapist was a bit rougher than the previous visits. By Wednesday night, my knee was full of fluid again, and I could barely walk. I did make it over to the computer a few times to log in to work stuff, and even posted on here a bit. By evening though, I was was pretting gone. I've restricted my pain pills to no more than two a day, and I waited until late evening, took the two, and drifted away.

    Since I was on my back and limited to what I could do yesterday, I had a tone of stuff to catch up on this morning. Once I got caught up, I read your post, and responded.

    I typically respond to posts as I see them (which is exactly what I did right before posting this one).Sorry I didn't meet your deadline. I'd promise to do better, but frankly, I don't give a rip about your demands. As a matter of fact, the above rant just further demonstrates what a complete ******* you are (and yes, that's a personal attack, feel free to complain to the mods about it).

    BTW, I noticed you've reverted back to the "Herbie" stuff. Your third-grade teacher failed you miserably.

    In short, I think you're getting a bit emotional about all of this, but I know you're making a bit of a fool of yourself.
  14. #74  
    Like I said. Have a good day. Bickering with you or anyone else is boring.
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    ...
    Meanwhile, not only has Joe shown (by your own admission) that they were NOT talking about WebOS as "that other platform" at CES, but he (and this very site's home page) also substantiated my position that without the PDK (which was not in existence to anyone's knowledge at the time), it would've been impossible to bring this over to WebOS. Impossible is merely another way of saying something has a zero chance of happening, but why stop to think when we can gloat?
    ...
    Here's the problem with this. You didn't say "zero chance, unless someone comes out with something we don't know about". You said zero chance. Zero chance means exactly that. Zero. That means that in spite of anything else going on that you may not know about, there is still no chance.

    However, the question posed wasn't whether or not it could be done, the question was whether or not WebOS could have been the other platform in question.

    Unfortunatel, I suspect I'm about to get you all emotional again.

    Here's the thing about logic. Joe's absolutely right in his assertion that just because someone guessed something doesn't mean they were "right" when they said they were sure it was coming. They just happened to guess correctly. (I know, I know, not his exact words, but that's the essence of what he was saying).

    By the same token - Just because it turns out that WebOS wasn't the platform, that doesn't validate your "zero" assertion.

    The fact is you didn't know at the time. You still don't know. You don't know what Epic knew about WebOS, you don't know what Palm's engineers may have shared with them.

    And while I appreciate what Joe had to say question why Epic would sit on such information, the same type of logic was applied about the NFS "fake demo", which in fact turned out to not be a fake.
  16. #76  
    Yawn?
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Like I said. Have a good day. Bickering with you or anyone else is boring.
    I'm sure it is, when you get demo'd for what you are. You seemed to enjoy it a lot more when you thought you "had one up on me".

    So yeah, go wander off little puppy, don't trip over that tail between your legs as you limp away wimpering though.
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Are you that daft that you think impossibility is a condition of permanence? At one time, it was impossible to prevent the spread of Polio from person-to-person. Then somebody developed a vaccine. At one time, it was impossible to travel the world in a month. Now, it can be done in a day or two. At one time, it was impossible to make an album without going to a recording studio, using a lot of tape, and paying for engineers and booking time. Now it can be done anywhere, on any laptop, for virtually nothing.

    At one time, it was impossible for WebOS to run the Unreal Engine. Now it can. Is this really that hard to grasp?
    The problem with all of the above examples is that they are all time related. The proper stand would have been "at this time, it's impossible to ..." Not "There is zero chance of this being able to be done".

    Do you see the difference?
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by JBH613 View Post
    ...
    Can we all agree Bioshock would be pretty amazing on the Pre? (struggling for common ground)
    Nope. Can't agree on that. I don't do much in the way of games. But I do want DateBK.
    The rest of that post was pretty spot-on though!!
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    ...
    ...and it wasn't WebOS. It was Nvidia Tegra. We got it ported after the fact, due to the late addition of the PDK. For all of your yammering about backtracking, being wrong, and covering up, you failed to realize that you were the one that was wrong. Even Herb admitted it.
    Wait a minute, I admitted nothing of the kind. I asked the question, if not WebOS, then who were that talking about. Joe answered that.

    However, I never saw JBH say that it was WebOS they were talking about; only that you were wrong about "zero chance". I sitll assert you were wrong. You didn't know at the time that the chance was zero. You didn't know who they were talking about. None of us did. And all we could do to eliminate WebOS as "the platform" was speculate based on our knowledge and best guesses. Our knowledge was limited, thus none of us could have made a "zero" assertion.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Difference is, I didn't care to gloat and left this thread alone after Nvidia's CES presentation because the only reason to revive it would be to descend to your silly level in order to gloat over some sort of perceived "victory". The last time I returned to a long dormant thread was to put myself on record as being wrong and to praise Palm. You did it to feel better about yourself. You win.
    So, if gloating is "descending to a silly level", what would you call the little bit of nonsense a few posts back about me not responding for 10 whole hours? Were you not "gloating" there?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions