Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Please don't feed the trolls.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    Troll? I love it. Must be the most successful one on this board ever, what with my 1600 posts and 2 year + residency. How do I do it?

But these responses are the very definition of zealous fanb-- groupthink from you johnny-come-latelys, and only now am I coming to understand why the mods treat that term as if it is profanity.

YOU asked a question in the first post. I answered. You asked another question in the 19th post. I answered. Don't like the answers? Don't ask the question.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Congratulations on the 1600 posts, however it should be noted that most users write more than "no" in a response. I guess if you are limited in your abilty to convey thoughts in this manor, I wont be the one to criticise. Back to my initial topic already. So far you've "answered" without providing a single reason as to why you have those opinions. I did nothing more than present an idea, one I would like to see happen but in no way bank on. The purpose of my thread was to incite intelligent conversation, and sorry to tell you sir, you have failed at your attempt.
    I didn't "attempt" to do anything. I answered your questions precisely as you asked, and in no way was trolling or trying to derail the thread. If you were truly interested in hearing more or doing anything other than semi-gloating in the light of 1.3.5, your response would've been along the lines of "Can you elaborate?", or you would've asked "Do you think is plausible now and WHY?" instead of "Care to recant?"

I would've been happy to provide my reasons. But instead by provoking me, now we ARE off on a tangent. Congrats. And no, I no longer have any interest in contributing to this thread.

Have a nice day.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I'm glad your interest for "contrubiting" is gone and now the rest of us can resume thoughtful discusssion.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Pretty tasty? @mikah912
    Kinda nailed it in my op...just saying
    No, not at all.

From the front page of the site's article: "It's all possible, of course, because of the PDK."

Palm announced the PDK well after this thread ran its course. Without knowledge of that, specifically, one could only hope that the Unreal Engine was coming to WebOS without any real information to back it up.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Honestly man, you are the slipperiest dude on this forum. Every post you make is either condescending or back tracking in nature. You clearly stated it was unrealistic and wasnt going to happen and in that regard you were dead wrong. Slime away!
    Quote Originally Posted by JBH613 View Post
    Honestly man, you are the slipperiest dude on this forum. Every post you make is either condescending or back tracking in nature. You clearly stated it was unrealistic and wasnt going to happen and in that regard you were dead wrong. Slime away!
    You're so right. I started laughing after reading the first page and seeing the news today. And now Mikah is back tracking. Even though on the first page he said that it wasn't going to happen. Mikah still hasn't told us how that crow tastes.

This reminds me of thread about the so called fake NFS video. Where are all of the naysayers? I mean they love to come in and poo-poo but they won't eat their crow when proven wrong. Why?
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    What a silly absolutest. At one point, Slacker had no plans to make Slacker for WebOS and announced as such. Yet, here we are with a Slacker app however long later. You answer a question based on the information you have at the time. If I knew of the PDK, my answer would've been yes. Without knowledge of it, I could only answer no because there was no information at that time to support it.

Look at the responses from the people who thought so in this thread. They based their "yes" on hope and supposition. I, too, hoped it would come here, but without information to indicate Palm had laid the groundwork, why would I say that it would?

When Rubinstein first announced 3D games for the Pre, the first thing I said in a thread where Hparsons and I argued over the direction of Pre software development was that I was wrong, wrong, wrong. And I was. On this....I wasn't given the information I had at the time. Be well.
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    You're so right. I started laughing after reading the first page and seeing the news today. And now Mikah is back tracking. Even though on the first page he said that it wasn't going to happen. Mikah still hasn't told us how that crow tastes.

This reminds me of thread about the so called fake NFS video. Where are all of the naysayers? I mean they love to come in and poo-poo but they won't eat their crow when proven wrong. Why?
    Because crow tastes bad. Not that I pooed on the idea at all, I've always been (perhaps hopelessly) optimistic.
    All that I'm saying is that JB asked in his op, could it be; what are the chances? You flat out said no. Most of the conversation in the thread turned to talk about whether the hardware could handle it. No one knew what your answer was based on b/c you mentioned nothing about the capability of the hardware. I believe after JB revived the thread in Dec he asked if anyone thought any differently. Again, you responded no but you didn't state why.

Someone else said something about the 3D games would look nothing like the graphic reach Iphone games. Yet they do. I'm just saying but then I'm not saying.
    All that I'm saying is that JB asked in his op, could it be; what are the chances? You flat out said no. Most of the conversation in the thread turned to talk about whether the hardware could handle it. No one knew what your answer was based on b/c you mentioned nothing about the capability of the hardware. I believe after JB revived the thread in Dec he asked if anyone thought any differently. Again, you responded no but you didn't state why.
    Would've given him the same answer I just did, but he was only interested in gloating not discussion as today's revival proves once again.

If I didn't want to stand by what I said, why put myself on record twice in this thread and why return to defend myself today? Why not only point out a past instance in which I openly admitted to someone that I was wrong, but then clearly state again here that I was wrong?

But scoring points was always the point of this thread, so I'm neither surprised nor particularly bothered. If the OP had revived a third time the day after the PDK was announced, my answer would've been yes. Virtually anything targeted for the iPhone can now be easily ported to WebOS. Without that framework and ease of translation, the app landscape and likelihood of Unreal being ported would be quite different.

So I more than stand by what I said and always will. I have been and will continue to be wrong on many a thing. When I am, I welcome anyone calling me out on it. But this? It's silliness.
    I don't always (or even usually) agree with Mikah, but I think he's right on this.

At the time, the chances of it having been webOS that they were doing a port for were literally 0. Just because the prediction that was wrong then, ended up becoming right 3 1/2 months later, doesn't make the prediction then any less wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I don't always (or even usually) agree with Mikah, but I think he's right on this.

At the time, the chances of it having been webOS that they were doing a port for were literally 0. Just because the prediction that was wrong then, ended up becoming right 3 1/2 months later, doesn't make the prediction then any less wrong.
    Ok. But my thing is why was the chances zero? Why was the answer no? Again, others stated the hardware but you said zero just now and Mikah said no. Sometimes it helps to provide to details of why the chances were zero. That's all I was trying to say.

Again, reading the original op, I don't think the OP was trying to gloat. He was looking for opinions. Same thing when he revived the thread in Dec. Could he have been gloating with the revival of the thread today? Sure, but c'mon. With all of the naysayers on this board could you blame him for reviving this thread? Again, I point to the NFS video is fake thread.
    Ok. But my thing is why was the chances zero? Why was the answer no? Again, others stated the hardware but you said zero just now and Mikah said no. Sometimes it helps to provide to details of why the chances were zero. That's all I was trying to say.

Again, reading the original op, I don't think the OP was trying to gloat. He was looking for opinions. Same thing when he revived the thread in Dec. Could he have been gloating with the revival of the thread today? Sure, but c'mon. With all of the naysayers on this board could you blame him for reviving this thread? Again, I point to the NFS video is fake thread.
    Pfft. The OP has:

- 1 post in this thread where he substantially discusses the subject at hand
    - 4 posts where he either attacks me for my answer after the fact, gloats or insults me for giving a limited answer.
    - NO posts where he actually asks me to elaborate on why I originally said no.

So by deed, does he seem more interested in gloating and making personal attacks, or discussing the Unreal Engine coming to WebOS? The answer seems pretty clear.

I happily explained why I thought what I thought then and now to you when you inquired in a genuine manner. And I'll continue to happily discuss this and any other subject with anyone who seeks my opinion. And I'll stand by that opinion with whatever information I have on hand. Should the situation change, I'll re-examine. Keynes said it best: "When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?"
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    No, not at all.

From the front page of the site's article: "It's all possible, of course, because of the PDK."

Palm announced the PDK well after this thread ran its course. Without knowledge of that, specifically, one could only hope that the Unreal Engine was coming to WebOS without any real information to back it up.
    However, the fact remains that your response was zero possibility. Not "well, they'd have to do something pretty outside the box" or even "I really don't think so", but a totall unqualified, totally unexplained, and absolute "zero".

You were wrong.
    Because some people are so emotionally tied to be "right", that they cannot accept differing views, differing options, anything different than "theirs".
    When Rubinstein first announced 3D games for the Pre, the first thing I said in a thread where Hparsons and I argued over the direction of Pre software development was that I was wrong, wrong, wrong. And I was. On this....I wasn't given the information I had at the time. Be well.
    Pardon me?? I don't recall any disagreement between you and I where you ever stated you were wrong.

I'm not going to go looking, but if you can provide a quote for me, I'll be happy to retract (and no, I won't pull a now-too-familiar slimeaway of "now your just nitpicking"). Seriously, I don't ever recall you ever admitting you were wrong about anything.
    I want to make sure I'm following this. This was the original post:

Quote Originally Posted by JBH613 View Post
    What are the chances that this " another mobile platform entirely" line is talking about webOs?
    Could it Be?
    And your response (in full) was:
    Zero.
    and now you're saying
    So I more than stand by what I said and always will. I have been and will continue to be wrong on many a thing. When I am, I welcome anyone calling me out on it. But this? It's silliness.
    So your stance is still that the chances they were talking about the Pre when they said "another mobile platform entirely" were zero?

You really believe they weren't talking about the Palm WebOS.

Wow. I'm astounded. Kind of. Anyone else, I'd simply be astounded. With you - just kind of astounded.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast