Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Hi all,

Did a lot of searching before my first post, and think I have pretty good sense of Pre's strong and weak points.

That said, I'm still between upgrading from my Centro to either the Pre or another Sprint Android - maybe new Hero aka Legend?

I tend to care more about OS, and see WebOS as really good. But slider and screen durability issues on the Pre are making me gunshy. One thing I like about the Hero or Legend is a glass screen.

Also, I just plain like "closing" something on WebOS, where Android is a little more subtle about what's open & closed.

If CES 2010 does not produce an updated version of Pre or new hardware design altogether, would today's Pre build be better than June's?

Thanks for your input.
    You could always go with the pixi...form factor is great, screen and clarity are less than pre, but only really noticeable side by side, same great webOS...no wifi...cheaper...
    I have the Pre and my son has the Hero. Both are great phones. Slider and screen durability haven't been issues for me, and I think the OS is great on the Pre. (The Hero's widget-based OS is fine as well, but I find myself able to multitask very naturally on the Pre).
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by torourke View Post
    You could always go with the pixi...form factor is great, screen and clarity are less than pre, but only really noticeable side by side, same great webOS...no wifi...cheaper...
    I looked at Pixi - and while good for some, I am indeed looking for the extra cpu power, wifi, screen size...and so on.

Are new runs of the Pre seeing build improvements over June 2009 ones?
    Quote Originally Posted by flash4o View Post
    If CES 2010 does not produce an updated version of Pre or new hardware design altogether, would today's Pre build be better than June's?

Thanks for your input.
    I think the build quality issues have been extremely overblown. Some folks seem to have lots of issues, but most seem to have none. I notice that it seems very few people have to return only one. That leads me to belive it's more a user issue than a build issue (though I could be wrong).

That said, were I in your shoes, and still that unsure, I'd probably wait to see what CES brings. You've waited almost 7 months, what's one more?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I think the build quality issues have been extremely overblown. Some folks seem to have lots of issues, but most seem to have none. I notice that it seems very few people have to return only one. That leads me to belive it's more a user issue than a build issue (though I could be wrong).

That said, were I in your shoes, and still that unsure, I'd probably wait to see what CES brings. You've waited almost 7 months, what's one more?
    Yeah I wonder the same thing.. Some people are more rough with phones and dont use cases, screen protector etc. I have both and dont have any issues.. I had a slight oreo effect before the rocketfish case but it wasent as bad as some people have stated... The hero will have a slight issue with trackballs over time as well its known for them to fall out and collect dirt... Thats why blackberry is moving to the optical trackpad.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post

Sage advice. I will wait to see what CES brings, and if nothing new device-wise, think I will go ahead with the Pre. And I agree it's partly up to the owner not to bash the phone around too much. I tend to take good care of things, especially phones.

And we all know that forums like these attract the problem cases. I'm sure the vast majority out there have the phone and no big issues.

Thanks for your input.
    Quote Originally Posted by flash4o View Post
    Sage advice. I will wait to see what CES brings, and if nothing new device-wise, think I will go ahead with the Pre. And I agree it's partly up to the owner not to bash the phone around too much. I tend to take good care of things, especially phones.

And we all know that forums like these attract the problem cases. I'm sure the vast majority out there have the phone and no big issues.

Thanks for your input.
    No problem (and that blows the theory of some on here that I'm some sort of shill for Palm).

BTW, I should also mention, concerning the build quality and returns, I sitll have my Pre that I got 6/6/09.
    I have a slight wiggle in mine that was gotten on 6/6/09 but nothing major. Havent really had any problems with mine, a few minor bugs and resets that amounted to nothing more then justa reboot like if your desktop computer crashed. That is typical on a smartphone...IT WILL fail on something about once a week and reboot...no big deal.

Pre by far is the best option for a phone on that market right now. So my advice would be to just bite the bullet and grab a Pre, or you can see what CES brings...BUT from what Palm is hinting towards is that they will not be bringing a new model to the market. So probably just going to expand upon the developers and apps, maybe a raod map to its future on WebOS, and of course the much anticipated WebOS 1.3.5!!!