1.    #1  
    My dad got it for me as an early Christmas present. I was waiting for my paycheck to get it. I also got a touchstone! I love the phone so far. I just had a couple of questions.

Does everyone have a tiny oreo effect on their phones or are some/most phones tight? Mine has a bit of it. My girlfriend noticed it before I could ask her.

My google maps wasn't working but I updated to 1.3.1 and now it's all good. The only thing now is that I can't sign into aim. It says "signing in" and never signs in. I think trying to sign in drains my battery more.

My girlfriend couldn't get her hands off the Palm Pre and she has an iPhone :]
    I can't wait until I get homebrew working on my phone. I just want to make sure the phone is all good before I do anything else to it.
    Welcome to Pre Central!

Slight oreo effect is normal to some degree. Do a forum search on it and you will bring up hundreds of threads.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ht=oreo+effect
    If the oreo is just slight and the phone is solid otherwise, then count yourself lucky and move on. What you get as a replacement may be much worse than what you have now.
    All slide phones that I have seen have a slight oreo effect. I have seen some bad ones on Palm though. I bought a case (from Sprint) and no oreo effect at all now.

I don't know about the google maps sign in as I rarely use it sorry.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Welcome.

Slight left/right movement whilst the slider is closed is normal. Rather than trouble shoot your AIM sign-in problem I'd wait until 1.3.5 is released, the update is imminent and you never know, the problem may just go away...
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the help guys. One last question, is the keyboard supposed to light up?
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    In WebOS, the keyboard brightness is linked to the screen brightness (stupid). Look for a homebrew app called Brightness Unlinked, it lets you set the levels independently and it can run in the background w/o a card open. I find this app to be invaluable.
    I am on my 2nd Pre since beginning of November. First one got very bad effect after about two weeks. The Sprint repair store swapped me a new one out of the box because it was under 30 days. My 2nd one seems much better after two weeks, so we will see.
    WELCOME we have been waiting on you. your a little early but thats all the better
    Pre be with you.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. -- Winston Churchill

Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities. -- Aldous Huxley
    Welcome to the Pre World, I hope you enjoy your stay. Personally, Im still waiting in line. Anyone have any problems with Gmail or keeping the browser open for a long time? Gripes with the Alarm? How about the battery cover?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by kirk0625 View Post
    Welcome to the Pre World, I hope you enjoy your stay. Personally, Im still waiting in line. Anyone have any problems with Gmail or keeping the browser open for a long time? Gripes with the Alarm? How about the battery cover?
    I haven't had problems with gmail. I don't know about the browser, I usually close it if I'm not using it. Alarm is cool, I can keep the phone on silent while I sleep and it'll still ring in the morning :] I don't know if you can turn that off though. The battery cover is nice and tight.

SOO after two days I have problems with my Pre. First, oreo got worse. It feels really loose. Second, phone gets really hot(battery?). It got so hot last night that it froze and restarted while I was playing Word Ace(no other app open).

Third, battery drains way too fast. I work in an office building that gets spotty coverage in some places, my desk particularly, and so it goes to roaming off and on. I took the Pre off the charger in the morning around 7:30am and didn't get to work until 10pm. The battery was already at 75% at that time and I only made one short phone call and about a dozen texts. Most radios were off, email checked every hour, signed off of IM, Auto Locate was off, and no apps were left open. By noon, my battery was at 15% and all I did was leave the phone in my drawer while it was going off and on with roaming. Normal?
    That last bit IS normal. If your phone goes on and off roaming that will kill your battery ridiculously fast. I suggest getting a roaming toggle patch. That should minimize the battery drain.
    i'm sorry to hear that... only decent thing is multi-tasking.

completely undeveloped phone you have there, and the way things are talking on the forum, you best get used to it!
    Are there any patches you would suggest to brand new Pre/Pixi users that would take care of some of these problems popping up?
    My Sept Pre had some serious Oreo effect and eventually got so bad that I couldnt handle it. I requested a new Pre that I just got a few hours ago from sprint. Then new one I have has 0 Oreo effect. I hope it stays that way.
    Some people are using the hardcover case from Sprint. A discussion of this is found here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ed-sprint.html

My pre was super tight when I got it at the end of Nov. Now, it has a pronounced wobble. I just ordered the case.