Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just doctored my phone for the first time. After 1.3.1 my phone had gotten to the point where I dreaded using it. All manner of things were acting funky, slow and incredible lag.

Since the good doctor visited my phone, its like brand new. Lag is virtually gone, many of the issues I saw are gone. I am back to being a happy Pre user. I noticed the same thing with the updates, after an update everything is peppy for a few weeks.

My question is why? Does the phone get defragged or something during doctoring? I installed all my same apps, hacks, etc. I just wonder if whatever magic it performs can be done in a less destructive way. Not that doctoring causes too much pain, I was especailly happy that it didn't kill my USB partition data.

Anyway, I was just curious what some of the wise PreCentralites thought may be the root cause for such happy less-lag.
    The question is whether or not this behavior will last. I've seen this type of behavior before, but it eventually degrades back to what it was before. Personally, I think that 1.3.1 is approaching unusably slow.

I'm not sure that doctoring it will help at all. Although based on your results, I'm probably going to do it, because even if it only helps for a little bit, 1.3.1 is approaching unusably slow.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  3.    #3  
    Being that every update that boosted speed and got everyone excited didn't last, I doubt it will. But any relief is worth it. I was so close to introducing my pre to a wall at high velocity I had to do something. I was having crazy browser issues, too many cards every day, apps hanging, took like 5 seconds to be able to type in a messaging window, even one that was already open. There are dozens more issues too. So far it seems like they've all been fixed. Even running Pandora all day, the phone responds pretty well.
    I had a similar situation happen to me. It just wasn't speed, but noticing that after I updated to 1.3.1 I noticed most of the fixes and changes didn't take effect causing the phone to act odd.

So i said screw it and doctored the sucker. What an improvement as before I wasn't able to forward text at all and now I can.

Lesson? Every update, I'll just doctor to it.
    Well, my phone is visiting the Dr as I type this. I hope that it makes an improvement, because I'm in the same boat as nyquistJack was. I'm ready to introduce my Pre to a brick wall at high velocity.

The performance of this device is so freaking terrible, that I'm almost assured of getting something new when my 1 year premier upgrade comes available on June 6. Hopefully, there'll be an HTC Hero 2 w/a better processor, or something even better by then.
  6.    #6  
    ^^ Good luck. I hope you have the same experience as I did. I've been playing with the phone all day instead of working. Haven't done that since the early days. I've not had to wait for much, even though pandora has been running all day.
    I use the repair utility about once every 2-3 days, just to make sure my Pre is healthy. It compares files to the stock files without data loss. I've yet to get too much lag, and MAYBE the throw away cards error twice in a month.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by laelipoo View Post
    I use the repair utility about once every 2-3 days, just to make sure my Pre is healthy. It compares files to the stock files without data loss. I've yet to get too much lag, and MAYBE the throw away cards error twice in a month.
    Interesting. How often does it find busted files?

I was planning on trying the repair utility but I just wanted to do something drastic apart from destroying the phone.
    its all about starting a fresh instal is y its faster after the doctor
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Been a problem especially with 1.3.1. Maybe .5 will help this. I plan to doctor when that comes out, still not critically slow but getting there.
    This is the first... no wait...

I was about to say that this is the first time that I've doctored w/1.3.1, but that I'd doctored on previous versions. At which point, I was going to say that perhaps the issue with WebOS is that it likes to be doctored instead of updated (e.g. via OTA updates).

But then I remembered that I ran the doctor prior to doing my Pre vs Pixi tests. Which suggests that the videos may have been slightly skewed in favor of the Pre. Too bad I didn't realize this before my recent round of doctoring. Re-running the comparison might have shown that the Pixi dramatically outperformed the Pre.
    Hmmm, my Pre has Preware and patches on it and worked fine after the 1.3.1 update and still works fine. Never had to doctor my phone.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing massive problems with this phone.

Everything, even checking e-mail or sms, takes forever.

Such a huge disappointment. I can't wait for June so I can replace this useless device.
    That's strange how some phones work fine while others don't. Both of my kids Pre's work fine too. Same hardware and software.
    I want to doctor my pre but I'm afraid of losing everything. Is there anything I need to do before doctoring it in order to keep everything?
    Quote Originally Posted by LC_3720 View Post
    I want to doctor my pre but I'm afraid of losing everything. Is there anything I need to do before doctoring it in order to keep everything?
    if u have less than 100 contacts, write them down...
    when i doctored i lost them but i wrote them down just incase

u lose call logs and sms messages almost no matter what (some things u can do for that)

but the USB drive (pics.videos.music.etc.) doesnt get touched
    Why don't you people throw your phones at sprint instead of a wall.

We are not all having these issues so go get a Pre that works better!

I wish I was one of the eternally optimistic ones that thinks the next updatte will solve their probs, but I am keeping my expectations low.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemfreeyard.com View Post
    We are not all having these issues so go get a Pre that works better!
    I'm on my 5th Pre. Every single one of them has had poor performance.
    I wish I was one of the eternally optimistic ones that thinks the next updatte will solve their probs, but I am keeping my expectations low.
    I have to be optimistic. It's what keeps me sane until June. I agree with @ejohnnyk. "Useless device" is a pretty darn good description.
    Of the 3 June launch Pre's, replaced just 1 because of a power button, all 3 are performing fine.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    If they are making the Pre faster and faster come each new webOS update, and currently are sitting on 1.3.1, then this thing should really be going all out come update 1.5.x right? hmmm.....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast