Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am always looking for new mobile Exchange clients. Sure Windows Phones are always perfect integrated into the enterprise Exchange environment, but compared to other OSs like iPhones OS X they are dinosaurs in multimedia and touch screen support. Browsing web pages and watching YouTube works however, but WM is just sooo unsexy and unentertaining.
    So I had a closer look to the Palm Web OS after I read that it supports native ActiveSync including tasks.
    The most important feature of a business phone of course is e-mail, but that's where most other Exchange supporting phones can't beat WM because of its "smart reply/forward" which is to me the greatest invention since mobile e-mail. WM's inbox uses smart reply/forward by default but gives you the ability to edit the original body if needed. Downside of editing is the lost of HTML, but I use smart reply all the time anyway.
    So I was very curious to see how Web OS replies/forwards e-mails and I installed the emulator to test it out. First impression was disappointing, Web OS uses plain replying which results in a fragmented HTML layout when replying to an HTML e-mail that was composed in Outlook 2007. This is a result of the bad HTML composing of Outlook 2007, so you can't blame Palm for this.
    But I tested forwarding as well and I was surprised to see it uses smart forwarding! The HTML content stays 1:1 and attachments of 30MB are forwarded within seconds.
    Knowing that, I decided to have a very closer look to see if I could force the Web OS to use this ability for replying too. And after some hours I succeeded. Actually Palm implemented smart replying already in its e-mail application but disabled it for some reason. Maybe they were afraid of those who would complain that it's not possible to edit the original text. This btw is the reason why the Maemo OS of the Nokia N900 also uses just smart forwarding and not replying. This is what one of the developer of the ActiveSync implementation of the N900 told me.

Yeah, so now I have Web OS to support AS as well as WM or even better! In Web OS you can use HTML formats for you mobile written e-mails, like bold and colors etc.
    All you have to do is edit the Email.jsjsjs $in$ /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$email$/$app$/$models$, $search$ $for$ //$params$.$replyMessage$ = $this$.$id$; $and$ $delete$ $the$ // $in$ $front$ $so$ $the$ $line$ $becomes$ $active$.
    Furthermore you can edit this file to use the fonts of your choice for the reply, the signature and replace the wrote: with the standard header Outlook uses. (From/To/Date/Subject) including its font too. I have build me a Email.jsjsjs $which$ $formats$ $the$ $mobile$ $e$-$mails$ $with$ $the$ $same$ $look$ $like$ $Outlook$ $2007$ $does$ $it$. $This$ $way$ $I$ $can$ $hide$ $that$ $I$ $am$ $outside$ $office$ $when$ $someone$ $may$ $expect$ $me$ $to$ $be$ $there$ ;-)

Attached you'll find my Email.jsjsjs $file$ $which$ $is$ $ready$ $to$ $use$ $for$ $anyone$ $with$ $Web$ $OS$ $1$.$3$.$1$ $in$ $any$ $language$. $Most$ $of$ $the$ $modifications$ $are$ $only$ $for$ $those$ $who$ $want$ $the$ $original$ $Outlook$ $2007$ $look$. $For$ $Smart$ $Reply$ $only$ $you$ $just$ $have$ $to$ $enable$ $line$ $354$.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    This is awesome! Great find! With mods now my signature and font from my desktop outlook match emails that are sent from my Pre!

I had to modify the file to show the almost the same format for replies as my Outlook 2007:

From
    Sent (also changed to show long date)
    To
    Subject

Only thing I can't get right is to show the day of the week in the Sent information. Should be Monday, December 21, 2009 4:36 PM. What's the code to show day of the week?
    Last edited by Tikerz; 12/21/2009 at 05:58 PM.
  3.    #3  
    True. I was looking for the 'Monday' code too.
    Another thing I will try to modify after x-mas: After a reply is sent, go back to inbox (instead of replied email).
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by melino View Post
    True. I was looking for the 'Monday' code too.
    Another thing I will try to modify after x-mas: After a reply is sent, go back to inbox (instead of replied email).
    I figured it out browsing through Mojo.Format API.

Change code to:

Code:
    {date:'full', time:'short'})
    Now it will display like an Outlook reply.

Sent: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 8:57 AM
    really cool guys, i don't have mine yet to tinker with but hopefully it'll get here today and I have all my e-mails looking more presentable.
    I am always looking for new mobile Exchange clients. Sure Windows Phones are always perfect integrated into the enterprise Exchange environment, but compared to other OSs like iPhones OS X they are dinosaurs in multimedia and touch screen support. Browsing web pages and watching YouTube works however, but WM is just sooo unsexy and unentertaining.
    So I had a closer look to the Palm Web OS after I read that it supports native ActiveSync including tasks.
    The most important feature of a business phone of course is e-mail, but that's where most other Exchange supporting phones can't beat WM because of its "smart reply/forward" which is to me the greatest invention since mobile e-mail. WM's inbox uses smart reply/forward by default but gives you the ability to edit the original body if needed. Downside of editing is the lost of HTML, but I use smart reply all the time anyway.
    So I was very curious to see how Web OS replies/forwards e-mails and I installed the emulator to test it out. First impression was disappointing, Web OS uses plain replying which results in a fragmented HTML layout when replying to an HTML e-mail that was composed in Outlook 2007. This is a result of the bad HTML composing of Outlook 2007, so you can't blame Palm for this.
    But I tested forwarding as well and I was surprised to see it uses smart forwarding! The HTML content stays 1:1 and attachments of 30MB are forwarded within seconds.
    Knowing that, I decided to have a very closer look to see if I could force the Web OS to use this ability for replying too. And after some hours I succeeded. Actually Palm implemented smart replying already in its e-mail application but disabled it for some reason. Maybe they were afraid of those who would complain that it's not possible to edit the original text. This btw is the reason why the Maemo OS of the Nokia N900 also uses just smart forwarding and not replying. This is what one of the developer of the ActiveSync implementation of the N900 told me.

Yeah, so now I have Web OS to support AS as well as WM or even better! In Web OS you can use HTML formats for you mobile written e-mails, like bold and colors etc.
    All you have to do is edit the Email.jsjsjs $in$ /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$email$/$app$/$models$, $search$ $for$ //$params$.$replyMessage$ = $this$.$id$; $and$ $delete$ $the$ // $in$ $front$ $so$ $the$ $line$ $becomes$ $active$.
    Furthermore you can edit this file to use the fonts of your choice for the reply, the signature and replace the wrote: with the standard header Outlook uses. (From/To/Date/Subject) including its font too. I have build me a Email.jsjsjs $which$ $formats$ $the$ $mobile$ $e$-$mails$ $with$ $the$ $same$ $look$ $like$ $Outlook$ $2007$ $does$ $it$. $This$ $way$ $I$ $can$ $hide$ $that$ $I$ $am$ $outside$ $office$ $when$ $someone$ $may$ $expect$ $me$ $to$ $be$ $there$ ;-)

Attached you'll find my Email.jsjsjs $file$ $which$ $is$ $ready$ $to$ $use$ $for$ $anyone$ $with$ $Web$ $OS$ $1$.$3$.$1$ $in$ $any$ $language$. $Most$ $of$ $the$ $modifications$ $are$ $only$ $for$ $those$ $who$ $want$ $the$ $original$ $Outlook$ $2007$ $look$. $For$ $Smart$ $Reply$ $only$ $you$ $just$ $have$ $to$ $enable$ $line$ $354$.
    thanks for this info! I'm not totally familiar with editing the code, could one of you provide step by step instructions? That'd be great! Thanks a lot.
  7.    #7  
    Yep, confirmed! :-)

Also Date is translated 'wrong' to German. (Datum instead of Gesendet). But I can`t download or edit the files from resources/de_de/...
    Does anyone have a clue how to edit them? WebOS Quick Install just don't react when I'm trying to dump them.
    Anyone feel like explaining what exactly "Smart Reply" and "Smart Forwarding" are? I assume they're Exchange-only features, but I've never heard of it before.
  9.    #9  
    As far as I know, it's an exclusive Exchange feature.

When 'Smart Reply/Forward' is used, only you answer to an e-mail is send to your server and not the original e-mail below. The server compiles both again and send the e-mail including the original.

Advantages:
    - When replying/forwarding, the HTML format of the original stays untouched. Very nice when the original e-mail was send from Outlook 2007/2010, which 90% all Exchange user use.
    - Sending and forwarding is extremely fast, even with a bad GPRS connection. Just you reply is send, like a SMS.
    - Even big attachments >30 MB are forwarded with in seconds.

Disadvantage:
    - The original text can't be edited in the replying e-mail. So you have to copy the original text to the clipboard before pressing reply. But my experience is that quoting is rarely done when e-mailing from mobile devices.
    Last edited by melino; 12/22/2009 at 02:52 PM.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Here's something I threw together really quickly to illustrate the difference with SmartReply enabled.

On the left is a reply sent from the Pre of an HTML formatted email with SmartReply disabled.

On the right is a reply sent from the Pre of the same HTML formatted email with SmartReply enabled.

You can clearly see that with SmartReply enabled, the HTML formatting is preserved as original.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The image is a a helpful illustration, but here is what I just saw with mine....I did not see any difference between having it enabled and not having it enabled...I created a simple patch which only uncommented out the // before the params.replyMessage = this.id; line. And as Tikerz wrote, both ways I could modify the text contained in the HTML.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    I figured out with Melino the editing issue. He forgot he modified a couple lines in his compose-assistant.jsjsjs $file$ $which$ $prevented$ $the$ $original$ $message$ $to$ $be$ $edited$.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_pre View Post
    The image is a a helpful illustration, but here is what I just saw with mine....I did not see any difference between having it enabled and not having it enabled...I created a simple patch which only uncommented out the // before the params.replyMessage = this.id; line. And as Tikerz wrote, both ways I could modify the text contained in the HTML.
    I just tested this again and got the same result as I did before. Stupid question, forgive me, but are you using an Exchange email account?
    I think I figured it out, the file I was restoring on the Emulator was patched as well. Once I put in a clean one form the Doctor, I am now seeing what you showed in your image.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_pre View Post
    I think I figured it out, the file I was restoring on the Emulator was patched as well. Once I put in a clean one form the Doctor, I am now seeing what you showed in your image.
    Cool
  16.    #16  
    Oh, I forgot that compose-assistant.jsjsjs has to be edited, too, if smart reply is enabled. Otherwise the original text will be there twice.

So deactivate line 717 & 718 (put // in front) in compose-assistant.jsjsjs $found$ $in$ /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$email$/$app$/$controllers$/

Code:
    // bodyText += originalText;
    // editor.setStyle({'min-height':'320px', 'font-size':'18px'});
    Thanx to Tikerz. :-)
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Oh, I forgot that compose-assistant.jsjsjs has to be edited, too, if smart reply is enabled. Otherwise the original text will be there twice.

So deactivate line 717 & 718 (put // in front) in compose-assistant.jsjsjs $found$ $in$ /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$email$/$app$/$controllers$/

Code:
    // bodyText += originalText;
    // editor.setStyle({'min-height':'320px', 'font-size':'18px'});
    Thanx to Tikerz. :-)
    Yes, this fixed the duplicates! I replied back and forth the same email with the Pre and Outlook and never saw a duplicate in the original text.

But, I just noticed that you can't see the original text when replying, just the reply header. When you email everything goes through though. Hmm...

Maybe it's almost better to make original text read-only. It's better than screwing up the email string.
    Last edited by Tikerz; 12/22/2009 at 04:37 PM.
    Is this going to be made into a patch for Preware?
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    I rearranged the reply header display order to match my Outlook.

Code:
    Sent: (Timestamp updated to match Outlook)
    To:
    Cc: (if required)
    Subject:
    I changed the RE: and FW: tag in the subject line to match Outlook.

For my emails I use Arial 10pt font. The Pre signature comes out to be 9pt Arial so I changed my Outlook signature to match. Anyone know where to change that? The text from Pre comes out Arial 10pt though.
    Last edited by Tikerz; 12/22/2009 at 03:43 PM.
    Tikerz can you post your modified file here. Mines is setup the same way.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast