Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Hi

I wonder what your opinion is on this:
    Given Palm's poor financial situation, why would they have chosen the strategy they are following (i.e. making exclusivity deals with a few carriers, letting others wait till the point they can't stand it any longer and head off to buy an Iphone)
    I mean, if I had made such a great product and I were almost bankrupt, I would try to sell as many units as possible, with a world-wide release.
    The only thing I can think of is that while yes, a worldwide release would mean more sales, it would also mean many more problems to handle. I get the impression that Palm just isn't ready to handle all of those issues and thus they're taking smaller steps than expected.

This way, they also get to do some beta testing while being paid and thus with every new country / carrier they add to their portfolio they have a more polished product (which in theory should require less support and thus be something they can actually handle).

Of course, I still think that they've taken too long to get their App Catalog out of beta. Right now there are many territories that have webOS devices available to them but that can't purchase from the App Catalog. Those are some serious opportunity costs...
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    I think he's got it. Releasing it on a very reliable but smaller carrier such as Sprint gives them a chance to work out the bugs. They knew they'd sell phones but there wouldn't be as many headaches as releasing on the #1 or #2 US carriers. Not to mention how would the Pre do in terms of sales against the iPhone on AT&T and how much support would AT&T give it? How about against the Droid on VZW?

I think Sprint was a very smart move initially. Now the platform is becoming stable and getting more attention and positive feedback so moving on to more US carriers is the right move.
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    i didn't get it either. i also didn't get that why they ignored the oreo effect.
    I think it's time to expand to more European countries. It's kind of sad they only "officially" support the UK, Germany and Spain.
    Global Posts
    849 Global Posts
    Simply they are not ready for mass production like Nokia, Moto and others. Maybe they don't have resources to handle the mass production or experience perhaps.

Anyway I agree that webOS is updating too slow and its not progressing at all but rather fixing bugs and adding basic functionality. Shame.
    I think the above responses are right, as well.

What I would add though, is that I think they are missing a massive market by neglecting Europe as a source of extra income. Opening the App Catalog properly outside the US will significantly increase revenues. I'd suggest that it would at least double it. Not only do you have Canada added but also Europe, which is, in many respects, much more affluent.
    A big thing is, as we have said elsewhere, that they need the developers on-side to get the App Catalog growing. The Developers are suffering from low sales. An increase in sales would hopefully increase developer productivity. And as the biggest selling point of iPhone over Pre [in my opinion] is the app availability, then they would be very quickly narrowing the gap!

I guess all we can do is watch this space. As soon as they get all these little bits together, I think they will really take off!
    Last edited by Ben_K; 12/21/2009 at 01:19 PM. Reason: "I not good grammar"
    they need to update faster, that way the OS will be mature faster, thus increasing the likely hood of mass market.

The fact that they havent done anything to improve the hardware/built quality is also bad......but it seems verizon in the US will be getting a Palm Pre Plus, next year, so we'll have to wait and see what that's all about.
    The thing that I don't get is why there is such a concentration of business experts on this phone forum. All of these people who could apparently conceive a better business plan, find the finance and execute it better than Palm can. Reality check people!
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I'm not arguing that i have better insights in how to make more profit. What I'm telling is that it's a shame that world-wide companies seem to identify their home market (in this case USA) as their prime target, whereas the other, more numerous part of the world is left in the cold. I, for example, really want a pre, but I don't want to risk getting a poorly manufactured imported device that I cannot return quickly. Basically, all I can do is wait.

Palm really missed a cultural fact: Europe is not the USA, that is to say, if you target 1 provider in US you cover the half of a continent. If you target 1 provider in Europe, you get 4/27 European Union countries... They also tried to export the American system (carrier exclusivity) to Europe, which works in certain countries, but is illegal in mine (Belgium). So, in many countries they will not find a carrier that wants to spend millions on advertisement.

Talking about business: if you want to sell, target rich countries (<=> Mexico, with all due respect).
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I have no clue at all about phone sales so this is just a reflection of a Palm fan and long time smarthphone owner.

We just want Palm to succed and since we dont understand their way of thinking or what restrictions they might have its a bit frustrating to see them miss the boat on sales in Europe. Maybe Palm have a totally new boat up their sleeve so it doesnt matter, who knows.

How many potential buyers do you think there are left in your country baring in mind that the 3GS and Android phones probably sold quite well? Nokia M900 been out on some markets too so im not sure there will be that many customers left for a smartphone in the beginning of the new year?

I guess contracts run out so there will be new potential buyers for the Pre but the competition surely got a lot harder during all these months that Europe and the ROW is left out. The Pre will probably have a hard time with sales since the 3GS and HTC already sells very good. (If all your friends and work buddies got either a iPhone or Android how many would buy a Pre? I would but would the non-palm fans make the same purchase?)

To be able to sell here in Sweden it might need a Spotify client, not sure how to attract business buyers though as the iPhone is standard, a updated calendar with the functions of PalmOS would be a good start so that it might attract owners of previous Palm devices.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Palm needs to wake up fast with the app catalogue. The competition in the market is now pretty high, iphone is first, but google, nokia and microsoft are doing very fast steps in this direction. This, in my oppionion, will make or break a device/ operating system in the future ( even near future). What good is to have a nice device but no applications for it? And, in our case, the pre/ pixi have a lot of flaws, lack a lot of things, and, if we compare it to the iphone ( the other device that had the same carrier exclusivity and selling strategy), it wasnt perfect, but he had apps supporting it. People forgot the problems while testing, playing or doing crazy stuff with their iphones.

Some of you might tell : well, at the begining iphone was pretty much the same. Agree, but the market conditions are different nowadays, with adroid devices and apps flooding the place, iphone getting better, windows mobile revamp, nokia maemo, palm, with just two phones, with a lot of hardware / build problems, with lots of things missing form the operating system, with a small number of applications, with market just partially available to other countries than the us, will have to deal with.

The trend, set by iphone, clearly shows that : good design, good build quality, friendly operating system and lots and lots of apps will win. Whoever cannot do that will be eaten, no matter what. I surely hope Pre/ Pixi are just the begining, that a more polished WebOS, AppCatalogue + a new ( ar at least better build) device will hit us soon. If this doesnt happen in the next half of the year, i see trouble.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Palm explicitly stated that they are not going to push out a whole portfolio of devices. I sure hope that the rumored "Pre Plus" will be better made (i.e. that they tackle some design issues (e.g. cracked screens, oreos...) instead of, say, just upping the mempory capacity to 16GB or something). Things are looking bad for Palm, because here 's the thing: the issues the Iphone 1st generation had where all software, whereas the Pre has severe hardware problems, that cannot be solved without swapping the device. I think I'll wait till the 2nd generation model rolls out (if Palm still manages to stay afloat by then)...
    Quote Originally Posted by peabrain View Post
    they need to update faster, that way the OS will be mature faster, thus increasing the likely hood of mass market.

The fact that they havent done anything to improve the hardware/built quality is also bad......but it seems verizon in the US will be getting a Palm Pre Plus, next year, so we'll have to wait and see what that's all about.
    Umm idk what you are expecting but 6 updates in 6 months is fantastic
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    Umm idk what you are expecting but 6 updates in 6 months is fantastic
    to europe its only been one update :P
    and nothing that fixes european problems.....
    or general problems......
    like?

the sign instead of the dollar sign when i press the currency button. (for the UK lot at least).
    able to set an alarm for any time.
    having a task set to complete by a specific time and a reminder for any time i choose.
    calender events at any time i want etc etc......

and no i dont think it should be the community that should be fixing all of this.....
    Quote Originally Posted by peabrain View Post
    the sign instead of the dollar sign when i press the currency button. (for the UK lot at least).
    We don't have a 'currency' button we have a '$' button. It would be pretty annoying if pressing it produced a ''. It's not as though using 'Sym' and '$' is hard and gives direct access to all the currency symbols.

Arguably we should have a '' key but that would be a hardware change and they never did it for the Treo range so it would be naive to expect it on the Pre.
    Palm's really beta-testing everything right now - once flash, video recording, GPU access, UI, OS features, SDK and the app catalog are polished, and the next revisions of hardware iron out the basic issues like Oreo and such (or just move to a new form factor), you'll see Palm coming quickly out of beta (and they would've still sold a couple of million phones running WebOS by then, courtesy early adopters like you n me)!!!!!!

I'm only worried about the timeframe in which they plan to accomplish all this..though it seems that they've probably been working away quietly for a big CES demo in the short term!