Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  

I was just at the engadget show and they announced an Engadget app coming out before CES for WebOS.

Its also coming out on iPhone, Blackberry and Android...but the iPhone/Android/WebOS version is first.

Good to see concurrent development.
    like whats it supposed to do?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter600 View Post
    like whats it supposed to do?
    They didn't go into in depth.

But news stories, videos, pics, comments etc.

Seems like a solid app to replicate the browser experience in a much easier and friendler way.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    They didn't go into in depth.

But news stories, videos, pics, comments etc.

Seems like a solid app to replicate the browser experience in a much easier and friendler way.
    If I were them I'd just make a solid mobile website, for all platforms. But maybe that's just me..
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    If I were them I'd just make a solid mobile website, for all platforms. But maybe that's just me..
    You mean like Engadget ?
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    You mean like Engadget ?
    or Engadget

seriously though, I'm a gadget blogaholic and welcome anything that can feed my addiction in a more gadget centric manner. An app on my gadget about gadgets is just what i wanted.
    There are four lights.
    Unfortunately the Engadget site uses Flash for video which is ridiculous considering their smartphone-based readership. So yes, something needs to be done.

I still don't think they need an app instead of a site, but if that brings the mobile experience on par with the site, then great.

BTW, I love the new Ars Technica mobile site.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    seriously? Why???? I'm pretty sure people are not getting this. We have a webkit browser, we have absolutely no use for this what so ever. This just makes me laugh. I mean a gadget site for nerds, by nerds. I mean an app? Seriously? Engadget must be lossing ground to phonearena and some other ''gadget'' site lol

I mean is this gunna be the new form of advertising for websites? ''we have an app for ah uh ourselves, come play with us!'' that just bothers me.
    Palm prē-ist.
    remember flash is on its way for mobile platforms, well except apple
    Palm prē-ist.
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
    I mean is this gunna be the new form of advertising for websites? ''we have an app for ah uh ourselves, come play with us!'' that just bothers me.
    The "Me Too" factor is a big driver behind those shrink wrapped website-as-native-apps. People are obsessed with downloading apps and having a downloadable app is becoming what having a website was for companies in the 90's. A lot of these are nothing more than marketing tools.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    eh
    i think ill just stick with newsroom, thanks
    Yeah, I hate that a company is making something that some people might actually like but won't affect me at all because I don't have to download it! Its so stupid that a company would find another way to advertise themselves, its like they want everyone to know who they are, how stupid is that?

Why is this a bad thing? I have no issue with them making an experience that would be specific to my phone, even if it is just a website. Its not like they are wasting their time making this app when they could be making another app. This is what they do. I mean if Engadget was coming out with a fart app, maybe that would be annoying, but they aren't.
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
    seriously? Why???? I'm pretty sure people are not getting this. We have a webkit browser, we have absolutely no use for this what so ever. This just makes me laugh. I mean a gadget site for nerds, by nerds. I mean an app? Seriously? Engadget must be lossing ground to phonearena and some other ''gadget'' site lol

Your philosophy fails. Every "app" in WebOS is a "web app". If Palm played by your understandings then there wouldn't be apps period, everything and everyone would just develop web apps to be loaded within the browser.

In your defense then, why is there a Facebook app, why are there Twitter apps, etc. etc. Why not just load their mobile sites in your browser? Because native is better and gives you more control.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Your philosophy fails. Every "app" in WebOS is a "web app". If Palm played by your understandings then there wouldn't be apps period,\.
    not to be a grammar "iconic wwII party headed by a guy with a mustache like ollies in my avatar, but who was evil" but i believe you shouldn't put a period there, infact the sentence is all wrong, though the thrust of it's implications stands.

IE
    "ClassicOS"

but yea, for the Beta sdk, as well as Ares its all about the web
    Last edited by windzilla; 12/20/2009 at 11:42 PM.
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I love this idea becasue im a engadget fiend. Its funny Palm is giving them an app tho. they have to realize how much engadget disses them all the time.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    are you kidding? Engadget has always been on Palm's ****. Now Gizmodo is so anti palm it is disgusting.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    are you kidding? Engadget has always been on Palm's ****. Now Gizmodo is so anti palm it is disgusting.
    Everytime I read they seem like there always hating. Gizmodo on the other hand is much worse. I read the Pixi review and laughed.
  18.    #18  
    Engadget is very realistic in my opinion with everything.

Regardless, it looks nice (it was shown on an iPhone) and i'll gladly take a fleshed out app over the mobile web version anyday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    Engadet has it's moment's and definetly doesn't seem to be riding Palm's d*ck by any stretch but yes Gizmodo is just slobbering on the iphone's knob 24/7. I always wonder how much Apple is paying them.

I'll stick with BGR and Ars Technica. Both aren't perfect but blow Engadget and Gizmodo both out of the water in terms of unbiased reviews.
    All these sites (i.e. engadget, tmz.com, and the like) build an app just so that people have a reminder of their site while they go through their phone. It is a few steps closer than pulling up a mobile browser (or just typing up the site, thanks Universal Search). It is all about exposure and marketing.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast