Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    You mean like Engadget ?
    No, a solid mobile website, with the same functionality as the normal site. It's not like this app is gonna do anything that can't be done online on their site..
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    No, a solid mobile website, with the same functionality as the normal site. It's not like this app is gonna do anything that can't be done online on their site..
    I disagree. There are so many things that a decent developer could do with a WebOS app that they could not do with a mobile web site.

For example, it is very possible that they could use the Palm notification service to give you a pop up each time a new article gets posted.

It is possible that they could set it up to use an offline mode for reading in an airplane or out of coverage area.

They could push out their podcasts and web video cast so that it would just be sitting on your WebOS device when you are ready to view it.

They could inergate a Calendar service into the Synergy Calendar with all the relase dates of new gadgets so you would know when things go live.

They could build a sq-lite database of current device specs that would reside locally so you could look up specs of various gadgets on the fly.

I could go on and on.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  3.    #23  
    Good point RC.

I dont' have a one sheet of everything the app will do, but wow, i'm surprised you have here someone having an app ready for us same time as an iPhone app....and everyone is just dismissing it.

A bunch of jaded phone users here.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    I disagree. There are so many things that a decent developer could do with a WebOS app that they could not do with a mobile web site.

For example, it is very possible that they could use the Palm notification service to give you a pop up each time a new article gets posted.

It is possible that they could set it up to use an offline mode for reading in an airplane or out of coverage area.

They could push out their podcasts and web video cast so that it would just be sitting on your WebOS device when you are ready to view it.

They could inergate a Calendar service into the Synergy Calendar with all the relase dates of new gadgets so you would know when things go live.

They could build a sq-lite database of current device specs that would reside locally so you could look up specs of various gadgets on the fly.

I could go on and on.
    I'm not saying you can't do more with a native app, I'm just saying this app won't do anything more than a decent mobile website will do.

If an Engadget app is such a good idea, why didn't the create a Windows or Mac app..
  5.    #25  
    I'm not saying you can't do more with a native app, I'm just saying this app won't do anything more than a decent mobile website will do.

If an Engadget app is such a good idea, why didn't the create a Windows or Mac app..
    Because you have the full fledged website with mouse controls on your computer...

That comparison was a bit silly. If the web was as easy to use on the Pre as a PC sure, the app would be silly...but as it stands now, it simply will be an easier method to access your favoirte things of engadget.

Thats like saying the New York Times app is dumb because you could just go on the mobile web.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Because you have the full fledged website with mouse controls on your computer...

That comparison was a bit silly. If the web was as easy to use on the Pre as a PC sure, the app would be silly...but as it stands now, it simply will be an easier method to access your favoirte things of engadget.
    Yeah.. That's why I'm saying they should build a new mobile website with the same functionality as its big brother.

But if they want to built an app for webOS, the iPhone and Android. That's fine by me. They probably have the money. Personally, I don't see the point. I'd make a new mobile website, which'll work on all future phones. WebOS, iPhone, Andoid, the next symbian, N900, Samsung bada, etc...
  7. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    This sounds cool. That's one more app to add to the list.
    ok, you guys make valid points and i understand what your saying, its just that the smart phones of today and tomarrow are expanding their web capabilities, i mean someone brought up the face book app(havent played with twitter) does anyone actually use the facebook app? or do they use x.facbook, the mobile site installed? i personally prefer to use facebooks full site on my phone when i use it, but i do use the mobile site often. however i think the facbook app is worthless and im just glad i could delete it. not to mention i wouldnt pay for it if they asked because i have a webkit browser. i just dont get how many people are excited about it, i mean bookmark engadget and well there it is.
    does anyone remember blazer? i mean thats a browser that needed apps to compensate for its lack of abilities, webos doesnt need that. it just needs flash and a few other things incorperated into it. many companies have remade their mobile sites and unfortunately i think made them worse, most of my bookmarks are full sites. having a pre and pixi on sprint with blazing speed what tees me off is how much faster loading pages my pre is than my netbook. lol
    Palm prē-ist.
    I'm confused, what functionality is missing from the iPhone-formatted version I linked? You can read all articles, read comments, reply to comments, search, etc.
    Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
    i mean someone brought up the face book app(havent played with twitter) does anyone actually use the facebook app? or do they use x.facbook, the mobile site installed?l

i've found the x.facebook mobile site has a weird news feed. Status updates are shown at random times whereas the facebook app actually shows all the updates in order from most recent.

So yeah, I would love to use the x.facebook mobile site exclusively because it is more robust than the standalone app but it's pretty much worthless if the news feed is all screwy.
    From engadget:

"Before CES (fingers crossed), you should see both a BlackBerry and webOS version of the Engadget application, and plans for the Android version are already in motion."

Engadget for iPhone / iPod touch: available now! -- Engadget
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12