Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Hi Folks,

as I do not get some revealing answers here in Germany I am asking you on how to fix my Pre issues. I have bought it on ebay without any kind of bill. So I have no chance to go to our distributor here.

It seems that after resetting the Pre I can work for about a week until the symptoms are getting so bad that I have to reset it again.

Symptoms are:
    -ON/OFF switch is not working - so I cannot switch off the screen for example (after resetting the device the switch works in about 90% of all tries and that is getting less as the week goes on until I reset it again)
    -mute-switch does not work at all - it worked in the beginning at least sometimes but used to disable Mute once in a while
    -the switch for rising the volume shows pretty much the same behaviour as the ON/OFF switch except for it starts at about 60% after resetting the device
    -quicktest once failed with memory errors (out of five runs)
    -device seems to reboot without reason (happened in the last week two or three times)

I have got hte Pre now for about 4 weeks now and I am quite sure that I will not need another phone for some years now IF I only can fix the issues. Do you think it is software-related or is the hardware screwed up? Are there any Palm repaircenters in Germany/Europe I can refer to?

The issues seem to happen less when I am out in the cold - unfortunately I am no icebear and so not very used to live in the snow just for the sake of my Pre doing what it should do. :-(

When the slider is closed I am still able to twist it to the right for about 1.5mm. Is this a comon thing to happen?

I would be glad if you guys could give some hints on how getting this wonderful device - which sometimes makes me going nuts - to work without getting me some grey hair.

Cheers,
    Moosbart
    Find someone from sprint and ask them.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    Those all sound like significant hardware issues for which we would get a new phone here in US. I wonder if your unit is covered by Palm's warranty. If not, any chance your eBay vendor would take it back?
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    You could try the webos doctor and see if that helps. If it helps after reset, sounds like software related.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosbart View Post
    Hi Folks,

as I do not get some revealing answers here in Germany I am asking you on how to fix my Pre issues. I have bought it on ebay without any kind of bill. So I have no chance to go to our distributor here.

It seems that after resetting the Pre I can work for about a week until the symptoms are getting so bad that I have to reset it again.

Symptoms are:
    -ON/OFF switch is not working - so I cannot switch off the screen for example (after resetting the device the switch works in about 90% of all tries and that is getting less as the week goes on until I reset it again)
    -mute-switch does not work at all - it worked in the beginning at least sometimes but used to disable Mute once in a while
    -the switch for rising the volume shows pretty much the same behaviour as the ON/OFF switch except for it starts at about 60% after resetting the device
    -quicktest once failed with memory errors (out of five runs)
    -device seems to reboot without reason (happened in the last week two or three times)

I have got hte Pre now for about 4 weeks now and I am quite sure that I will not need another phone for some years now IF I only can fix the issues. Do you think it is software-related or is the hardware screwed up? Are there any Palm repaircenters in Germany/Europe I can refer to?

The issues seem to happen less when I am out in the cold - unfortunately I am no icebear and so not very used to live in the snow just for the sake of my Pre doing what it should do. :-(

When the slider is closed I am still able to twist it to the right for about 1.5mm. Is this a comon thing to happen?

I would be glad if you guys could give some hints on how getting this wonderful device - which sometimes makes me going nuts - to work without getting me some grey hair.

Cheers,
    Moosbart
    Yes the slider twist is a VERY common issue all 3 of my pres have it and as for the issues with your pre call palm they handle it very well and are very eager to help in my experiences with them
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blatherdrift View Post
    Find someone from sprint and ask them.
    Unfortunately we do not have Sprint here in Germany and the distributer (O2) does not accept a repair because I do not have the purchase bill from the original buyer (and cannot get it - ebay)

Quote Originally Posted by davidtm View Post
    Those all sound like significant hardware issues for which we would get a new phone here in US. I wonder if your unit is covered by Palm's warranty. If not, any chance your eBay vendor would take it back?
    Ebay vendor will not take it back. Is there a way to check if the device is covered by Palm's warranty? I guess it should because they started selling the Pre just a few month ago. But again, except for the ebay transaction and paypal bill I have no proof for this thing being mine.

Quote Originally Posted by awrnsmn View Post
    You could try the webos doctor and see if that helps. If it helps after reset, sounds like software related.
    Tried it but did not change anything. :-(
    Your phone should still be covered by Palms warranty. I believe the warranty from Palm for manufacture defect and no Pre has been out a year yet.

I am sure if I am mistaken on the 1yr warrantee someone will correct me.

does not hurt to try.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Hey folks just wanted to report back: used chat with Palm support to get a SRO - Pre was shipped to UK and two weeks later it came back. Slider is still a bit shaky, heard that Palm only fixes it when it's shaky while being opened but mine is just shaky when closed. Repair report says just software update - all keys are working now perfectly right. I guess they updated the BIOS/firmware or something like that... So, another happy Pre-user in Germany now. :-)