Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    And what does this have to do with unlocking the Telcel unit?
    Just that I thought it was a waste of money. Nothing personal. $500+ for a device that has bad build quality.... Not cool
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy View Post
    Just that I thought it was a waste of money. Nothing personal. $500+ for a device that has bad build quality.... Not cool
    Just that I thought this act is called trolling. Nothing personal. Posting in a thread with completely unrelated comments.... Not cool
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Rayan,

Need a huge favor from you. This may or may not go anywhere, but on the off chance it does we need to take a gander at the palm_nv_items.txt file thats in the 1.1.3 version of the wr (World Region) Web OS Doctor Image found here.
    http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/p113r...p100eww-wr.jar

Would it be too much to ask you to download that WebOS Doctor image and take a look at the palm_nv_items.txt file, then report back what you find listed under ROW?
    If it's the same as is in the Telcel WebOS Doctor image, then we went down a dead end path with this. If it's different, then we "might" be on to something.
    Thanks,
    Barry
    FYI Telcel's doctor is here:

http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/pre/p...0ewwtelcel.jar

I'll download it when I get home and help out with my eyes as well. I'm not buying it (yet), but I still want to help out.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

4.    #24  
    FYI Telcel's doctor is here:

http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/pre/p...0ewwtelcel.jar

I'll download it when I get home and help out with my eyes as well. I'm not buying it (yet), but I still want to help out.
    Toni,

Take a look at previous posts. Rayan already opened up the Telcel Doctor and found information in that file which is where we're at with this discussion now. We're focusing on the information Rayan provided from the Telcel Doctor and I've asked him to open up the EU Doctor ver 1.1.3 (not 1.3.1) for comparison.
    However, anything else you happen to find in the Telcel Doctor is certainly welcome and appreciated.

Just to refresh everyones memory, I installed all the WebOS doctors on to the Locked Telcel Pre and was unable to get the RebelSIM to work using any image.
    Barry, are you able to confirm when you're running the Doctor, does it actually flash the modem firmware into the modem? I'm wondering this because if it does flash the modem firmware, I wonder when you guys were flashing the Sprint doctors, it might have defaulted to the EV-DO firmware and could've bricked the chip already.

I found this, it's a procedure to manually flash the modem firmware.

mjg59: Palm Pre

As others have figured out by now, the Pre is codenamed Castle and there's some references to another device called Pixie. This is presumably the Eos device that's expected to end up with AT&T. The other interesting thing is that the image contains modem firmware for both CDMA and UMTS. They're shipped as tarballs - extracting them gives you something that looks awfully like the firmware for the Qualcomm Gobi dual-CDMA/HSDPA chipset used in a bunch of modern laptops. The core firmware is an ELF object for 32-bit ARM. It's got references to Qualcomm in it and it's also got an embedded RSA signature which presumably cuts back on the potential for interesting hacking. The

/usr/bin/PmModemUpdater -e < /usr/lib/modem/castleumtsfw.tar

command, executed as root, should flash the UMTS firmware to the modem (castlecdma_evt1_fw.tar is the CDMA firmware). However it should be noted that the MSM6801A baseband used on the Pre seems to be a CDMA-only chip and there's no obvious place on the board for a SIM socket. My assumption is that the GSM models will have a very similar baseband with different radios. Unlocking the device will presumably be similarly difficult to the iphone - someone will need to find a flaw in the Qualcomm firmware that allows the network lock to be skipped. The PmModemFactory command will let you unlock the phone, but you'll need the appropriate code to do so and can (I guess) permanently lock it if you enter the wrong code too often.

The internal flash appears to present as mmc for some reason.
    Apparently this is the baseband flashing procedure. You might want to take the O2 UMTS firmware and try to flash it, but please... proceed with caution. After all the chip is supposedly different.

I got the Telcel Doctor, and I'm getting the O2 1.1.3 Doctor as we speak. Will start looking into the stuff.

6.    #26  
    Barry, are you able to confirm when you're running the Doctor, does it actually flash the modem firmware into the modem? I'm wondering this because if it does flash the modem firmware, I wonder when you guys were flashing the Sprint doctors, it might have defaulted to the EV-DO firmware and could've bricked the chip already.

I found this, it's a procedure to manually flash the modem firmware.

mjg59: Palm Pre

Apparently this is the baseband flashing procedure. You might want to take the O2 UMTS firmware and try to flash it, but please... proceed with caution. After all the chip is supposedly different.

I got the Telcel Doctor, and I'm getting the O2 1.1.3 Doctor as we speak. Will start looking into the stuff.
    Cannot answer for sure if running the doctor actually flashes the modem, but discussions with rwhitby (Author of WebOS Meta-Doctor) indicate it does.
    As for having already bricking the modem chip, I doubt it. I've got the Telcel Doctor on my Pre now and I'm able to see the two GSM networks (albeit with blank labels instead of their names and have No Service SOS Only). The blank labels on the two networks are assumed to be the AT&T and T-Mobile voice networks.

Another thing to note is that many folks successfully placed the Sprint Doctor onto their German and UK Pre's without any modem failures.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinrirvine
    Barry,

My last reply for quite honestly you annoy me and other's at this forum with your cocky, I know it all behavior. 4 now 5 replies in one day all that gave me little if no insight as to what exactly the problem or solution is here. You obviously have plenty of free time on your hands with your numerous p.m.s. to me and countless posts on the forums yet said you were to busy this week to continue your work and at the same time, yes my memory is this good, said you could not justify spending the money for the HEX GADGET TOOL. Very odd and ironic. I have officially stepped down from this project for you were also incorrect on just how difficult this extraction process is, meant for engineers for r and d direct form rebel sim and though somewhat knowledgable this is way over my head to perform so someone else is going to do it on my behalf with me off course footing the entire bill. I won't even tell you how this person is for again no one in this community wants to deal with your cocky, know it all attitude so you are officially out of the loop and have no say in anything related to the telcel pre sim unlocking. You brought this on yourself Barry and only have yourself to blame. Kevin
    Sadly I am stepping down, and sending back my Telcel Palm Pre. I apologize to all for anything I said or did which offended anyone and apologize for coming off cocky, and as a know it all. I know nothing , and my efforts to help others clearly were not received as such. I've only been percieved as cocky and know it all. I enlisted others to help where my knowledge had shortcomings, and the response from kevinrirvine has floored me into a deep deep hole which I may never recover from. How could I have spent so much time and energy trying to help resolve troubles, and only be percieved as cocky and a know it all.

As for not wanting to purchase the Hex tool from Rebel SIM, Yes as Kevin points out, I can be blamed for that. I just did not want to do it. As for not having the time to do it, I was honest, I don't. Having the 5 minutes here and there to read and then post in this forum is a lot different than sitting down for hours at a time and working on tackling a problem. however Kevin believes the time exponential is the same for both.

PRECENTRAL MEMBERS, I AM SORRY VERY SORRY FOR THE COCKY KNOW IT ALL PERCEPTION I HAVE CREATED HERE. IT WAS NOT INTENTIONAL.
    PLEASE FORGIVE MY STUPIDITY. I WAS ONLY TRYING TO HELP AND TO GET TO A SOLUTION SOONER RATHER THAN WAIT FOR ONE TO COME LATER PLEASE FORGIVE ME.
    I AM NOW DEAD HERE.

THANKS KEVIN YOUR BRUTAL HONESTY AND SPEAKING UP FOR EVERYONE HERE WHEN NO ONE ELSE EVER COMPLAINED OR SAID ANYTHING OVER THE 4 YEARS I HAVE BEEN POSTING HERE IS A TRADEMARK YOU CAN BE HAPPY TO LIVE WITH ABOUT YOURSELF. DON'T EVER LET ANYTHING GO UNSAID.

RESPECTFULLY SUBMITTED.
    BARRY
    GOODBYE ALL
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 12/22/2009 at 10:20 PM.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Well that's lame that you would let someone scare you away, I was very much hoping to get a Telcel Pre in hopes of using it here in the US. Thanks for all your hard work! I didn't think you were cocky at all.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by I_Ryan View Post
    Well that's lame that you would let someone scare you away, I was very much hoping to get a Telcel Pre in hopes of using it here in the US. Thanks for all your hard work! I didn't think you were cocky at all.
    Thanks I_Ryan, I needed to hear that.

After stepping away and letting Kevin's remarks settle in, a distinct thought came to mind which made me decide to continue working on this:

1). All the work and time invested by me led to some results which I shared here with everyone. Those results pointed to a couple of tangible solutions which I made sure to share with everyone here. Precentral member "Kevinrirvine" decided to pursue one of the solutions my work suggested would help us get to a resolution sooner, rather than later, the Hex tool path which on behalf of everyone here, I applauded him for doing. I then realized that we would not have reached the point we are at with this effort without my initial and continued efforts and in "Kevenrirvine"'smessage to me Kevin may be venting his frustrations at the lack of any solution thus far and unfortunately he is choosing to focus his frustrations upon me for some reason.

2). I'm continuing to do work on another possible reason that Precentral member "Rayan" recdently brought up and points out may have something to do with this problem (the modem flashing done during WebOS installation) which I enlisted the help of Precentral member "rwhitby"'s knowledge about and which Precentral member "ToniCipriani" has volunteered to assist with by doing more research and testing on.

I'll choose to continue working towards a solution with resources available to me including time and the help of others here who have more knowledge than I have despite the negative remarks made to and about me by Precentral member "Kevinrirvine" which thankfully do not represent the feelings of the entire Precentral membership.

Thanks,
    Barry
  10.    #30  
    We are back on point. This is no longer the Oprah show!

We have a member who is investigating one of his contacts who has a Hex card tool and creates his own Simcard emulators. If he can convince his guy to do his one off situation for the Fido network, and it works, I suggested that he can probably count on business from all of us providing his SIM card simulator for use with an AT&T SIMcard. I know that besides myself, many others here would appreciate it.

Additionally, I myself have made an offer to RebelSIM company in UK, to send them my Telcel Palm Pre for examination so they can attempt to glean the emulation codes necessary from it to include in their firmware. I am waiting for a response from them and hoping they accept my offer. I will post their response here and in the other thread as soon as I receive it.

Furthermore, Kevinrirvine has offered me the RebelSIM hex card tool he purchased, in order to perform the scanning and to send the data back to RebelSIM for analysis. At this point in time, I am not certain I have the time or the skillset necessary to perform the task, although I am sure I could manage getting the skillset part mastered, IF I can find the time resources. I am putting that decision on hold until after I hear back from RebelSIM about my offer to send the Telcel Pre to them for analysis.

Stay tuned for further details.

ToniCipriani,

Any word on results you've gleaned from the examination/comparison of the Telcel doctor and the EU doctor's modem flashing routines?

Thanks,
    Barry
    Not yet, I got lazy. I'll look into it a bit more later.

If anything I don't have a device to test.

We are back on point. This is no longer the Oprah show!

We have a member who is investigating one of his contacts who has a Hex card tool and creates his own Simcard emulators. If he can convince his guy to do his one off situation for the Fido network, and it works, I suggested that he can probably count on business from all of us providing his SIM card simulator for use with an AT&T SIMcard. I know that besides myself, many others here would appreciate it.

Additionally, I myself have made an offer to RebelSIM company in UK, to send them my Telcel Palm Pre for examination so they can attempt to glean the emulation codes necessary from it to include in their firmware. I am waiting for a response from them and hoping they accept my offer. I will post their response here and in the other thread as soon as I receive it.

Furthermore, Kevinrirvine has offered me the RebelSIM hex card tool he purchased, in order to perform the scanning and to send the data back to RebelSIM for analysis. At this point in time, I am not certain I have the time or the skillset necessary to perform the task, although I am sure I could manage getting the skillset part mastered, IF I can find the time resources. I am putting that decision on hold until after I hear back from RebelSIM about my offer to send the Telcel Pre to them for analysis.

Stay tuned for further details.

ToniCipriani,

Any word on results you've gleaned from the examination/comparison of the Telcel doctor and the EU doctor's modem flashing routines?

Thanks,
    Barry
    Barry you might have jumped the gun too soon for right now I am actually doing this process and correctly so far, i.e. no error messages, and doing it ever so slowly by stopping the video when I get to the next crucial part. Will keep you all posted and TRUST ME ON THIS ONE THIS IS VERY DIFFICULT BUT SO FAR SO GOOD. KEVIN
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinrirvine View Post
    Barry you might have jumped the gun too soon for right now I am actually doing this process and correctly so far, i.e. no error messages, and doing it ever so slowly by stopping the video when I get to the next crucial part. Will keep you all posted and TRUST ME ON THIS ONE THIS IS VERY DIFFICULT BUT SO FAR SO GOOD. KEVIN

GREAT NEWS KEVIN!

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
    Barry
  14.    #34  
    Not yet, I got lazy. I'll look into it a bit more later.

If anything I don't have a device to test.

No Test devoice needed at this early stage. I suspect the modem is flashed to ROW at the factory, and if so, then in your analysys of the EU Doctor 1.1.3, you'll find the exact settings for ROW that Rayan found in the Telcel Doctor. If you find they are different, then there will be something to test!

BTW, If they are different, and RebelSIM has not responded to my offer, I'll ship you my Telcel Pre for testing or I'll delve into flashing my Telcel Pre's modem with the EU settings using the method you described earlier in the thread.

Thanks,
    Barry
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 12/24/2009 at 01:24 PM.
    GREAT NEWS KEVIN!

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
    Barry
    Well, Barry having been at this since about 9:30 a.m. CST now 4 p.m. I need to take a break for after all it is XMAS Eve and this is just a phone nothing more nothing less. I swear to God I had everything set up perfectly in step 4 and then when the moment of truth came and turned on my pre notihng happened. No data whatsoever on the screen. When as you know it should be flasing in front of you and collecting plenty of this. I have gone through the you tube video so many times I practically have it memorized yet in checking the rebel sim, telcel, all cables, etc everything seemed in line yet no data transmission. I feel pretty stupid now though I am not.

I am not sure if this is the issue but Simon said before I even began the process his concern was if windows vista would install the driver correctly to com1 and both times I did it it was com 4. So I wnet into device manager and ChANGED IT TO ONE AND WINDOWS ACCEPTED THE CHANGE AND THIS IS THE ONLY THING THAT COMES TO MIND AS TO WHY IT MIGHT NOT BE WORKING. Any thoughts? Caps not on purpose. Merry XMAS BARRY AND EVERYONE AT PRE CENTRAL BUT I HAVE NOT GIVEN UP YET AT THE SAME TIME THIS MIGHT BE BEYOND MY BRAIN CAPABILITIES. KEVIN
    Hi ... I'm Simon just in case people were wondering. Kevin I just sent you another email which may help resolve your connection issue.

I figured that its not necessary to keep it on com1. You just need both comm and port to match. Its easier if its Comm1 and therefore you just keep it at Port 1 on the SW. However, if install in another Comm number, it would appear that you just need to match the Port number on the SW. This should establish the connection between the device and the laptop. This is only a guess but based on reviewing the youtube video and my limited knowledge with drivers installation, that may establish the sync.
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinrirvine View Post
    Well, Barry having been at this since about 9:30 a.m. CST now 4 p.m. I need to take a break for after all it is XMAS Eve and this is just a phone nothing more nothing less. I swear to God I had everything set up perfectly in step 4 and then when the moment of truth came and turned on my pre notihng happened. No data whatsoever on the screen. When as you know it should be flasing in front of you and collecting plenty of this. I have gone through the you tube video so many times I practically have it memorized yet in checking the rebel sim, telcel, all cables, etc everything seemed in line yet no data transmission. I feel pretty stupid now though I am not.

I am not sure if this is the issue but Simon said before I even began the process his concern was if windows vista would install the driver correctly to com1 and both times I did it it was com 4. So I wnet into device manager and ChANGED IT TO ONE AND WINDOWS ACCEPTED THE CHANGE AND THIS IS THE ONLY THING THAT COMES TO MIND AS TO WHY IT MIGHT NOT BE WORKING. Any thoughts? Caps not on purpose. Merry XMAS BARRY AND EVERYONE AT PRE CENTRAL BUT I HAVE NOT GIVEN UP YET AT THE SAME TIME THIS MIGHT BE BEYOND MY BRAIN CAPABILITIES. KEVIN
    Kevin,

Sorry I was so long in responding, but it is XMAS eve and I was with family. Simon hit the nail on the head in the post above this one. "its not necessary to keep it on com1. You just need both comm and port to match".

If the OS (Vista, XP or Windows 7) wants to use com 4 for the driver, let it. Since you changed it to come 1 go in and change it back to com 4. Then in the software you installed that came with the Rebel SIM card Hex Tool, choose com 4 or port 4 instead of the default of com 1. Hopefully that resolves the communication problem between the phone and the computer. I know I've got my fingers crossed it does, as I am sure many others here do as well!

Thanks again for jumping on this task even as you say it's a bit more difficult than you imagined, you're doing fine so far! There's no rush to do it all so quickly although we're all hoping a resolution sooner rather than later. With the holiday, I suspect that the folks at rebel SIM wont be in a position to even look at the data until after the weekend. Don't beat yourself up trying to do this all at once. You deserve to enjoy Christmas too!

Thanks,
    Barry
  18.    #38  
    Rebel SIM card company has accepted my offer. Hopefully we will have some good news either from Kevinrirvine, or from myself by the end of next week!

Hi Barry

thanks for you offer of help
    if you can send us the phone we can work faster on a solution

we will of course send back to you via fedex in around 3 working days after we receive

this would be a great help and we can see where need to make changes faster if we have here to do the test
    thanks

kind regards
    sales support

Solutions Point Limited
    Evans Business Centre
    Unit 11, Dane St
    Rochdale
    Lancashire
    OL12 6XB
    United Kingdom.

Tel 0844 484 4331
    Tel Int 00 44 170 650 8124
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 12/25/2009 at 09:49 AM.
    Hey I just want to thank everyone involved so far! Props for Barry getting in touch with the RebelSim and sending the device over. This can only result in good news sooner than later. Thanks!

Props to Kevin who I have been emailing back and forth, trying to get the hex tool to work properly. Kevin has actually put in a lot of time to getting this up and running so, thanks! Between the two of you and other fellow members on this forum, I believe that a solution will be arriving shortly.

I can't wait til early Xmas, when the Palm Pre 3g gets up and running for the AT&T users. Thank you all in behalf of all other future AT&T/CAD users who probably wouldnt have a clue how this evolved.

Secondly, I like to add that I too have been rec'ing emails about potentially purchasing more Palm Pres for other once the unlock solution becomes available. I will see what I can do. I am not a vendor, just a middle man with a reliable source. MERRY XMAS!!
    Rebel SIM card company has accepted my offer. Hopefully we will have some good news either from Kevinrirvine, or from myself by the end of next week!

Hi Barry

thanks for you offer of help
    if you can send us the phone we can work faster on a solution

we will of course send back to you via fedex in around 3 working days after we receive

this would be a great help and we can see where need to make changes faster if we have here to do the test
    thanks

kind regards
    sales support

Solutions Point Limited
    Evans Business Centre
    Unit 11, Dane St
    Rochdale
    Lancashire
    OL12 6XB
    United Kingdom.

Tel 0844 484 4331
    Tel Int 00 44 170 650 8124
    Hi BARRY,
    1st off, Merry XMAS TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. 2nd, let's make this not only possible but rock solid so that especially you and I will have are UNLOCK SOLUTION IN 10 DAYS MAX. Sending them your PRE IN MY HUMBLE OPINION IS NOT ROCK SOLID FOR YOU DO NOT HAVE A TELCEL PRE PD SIM I DO AND WITHOUT THIS, HENCE YOUR HEX TOOL IDEA, THERE IS NO WAY THEY CAN FIGURE OUT WHY THEIR REBEL SIM2 IS NOT WORKING ON OUR TELCEL ONE'S LIKE IT DOES THE UK VERSION. TO ME THIS MAKES THE MOST SENSE. I on the other hand can send them everything they need so there is no possibility for failure, telcel sim, att, and even t-mo to be extremely thorough. What do you say? Kevin
    Last edited by kevinrirvine; 12/25/2009 at 05:38 PM. Reason: mis-spelling.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast