Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    "Update 3: Over 800 apps in the catalog so far, once they graduate from the Early Access Program exclusivity, Palm foresees a "flood" of apps. No plans right now to change SDK strategy to a more native development environment."

This is a update from palm on engadget... I dont see how they expect a flood of apps and they have no plans to change the current sdk... This bothers me... Ares will be helpfull but come on palm... we need more access!!
  2.    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The flood of apps is going to come from the Ares tool which probably means a lot of simple apps like tip calculators and button that makes a noise.
    Yeah im so tired of those apps which is why this really bothers me... i think this should be a higher priority with palm..
    Of course they are going to update the SDK. They just aren't going to go as far as to go C/C++. Im sure they will add low level access (GPU, mic support) and maintain using web development technologies.
    This will be a big issue moving forward. Its not going to just be about the number of apps. They need to allow devs create apps that take advantage of the Pre's hardware. They will get a boost when they launch on VZW but that will only help for so long.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Not that all of these apps are going to be bad. Some niche apps like medical calculators will probably be useful to some. However, the "Wow!" apps like augmented reality, barcode scanners, voice transcription, voice modulators, multimedia, image manipulation, aren't going to be developed on this kind of tool.
    I would love for a developer to weigh in here. For myself, I see no reason why any of these apps are impossible to the current environment, once the required hardware access is added to the SDK. My understanding is that apps that need the raw speed of native compiled apps, such as games, will necessarily be limited (although even that changes once WebGL hits), but none of the apps listed here seem to fit that description.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Here's the only real reference that I can find to development of the SDK in the transcript of the report and Q&A session.

Jonathan Goldberg – Deutsche Bank North America

Is there any need to go to C++ SDK or is web tools resonating in a way with developers the way you originally expected?

Jonathan J. Rubinstein

We think we’ve got a great development environment. It’s really fast and easy to develop apps, it’s a lot of fun. I encourage you to take a look at Project Ares. It’s a very unique way to develop applications, something the open source community has been driving a lot around. I think we’re right on the right path going forward.
    From Palm, Inc. F2Q10 (Qtr End 11/27/09) Earnings Call Transcript -- Seeking Alpha

And another quote from Jon.

We have an aggressive Web OS software roadmap in place and we’ll continue to deliver enhancements to our user experience on a regular basis.
    Can't see why you would conclude that more hardware access isn't in the pipeline.
    If palm doesn't release a better SDK in the next 2 or 3 months I will probably jump ship for the HD2 if it lands on sprint.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    Quote Originally Posted by Joescan09 View Post
    If palm doesn't release a better SDK in the next 2 or 3 months I will probably jump ship for the HD2 if it lands on sprint.
    DId you read somewhere that it's coming to Sprint? I'm actually thinking of going Touch Pro 2 right now. I miss a lot of my winmo apps.
    No one knows what carriers are picking it up yet. If sprint does palm better start pulling rabbits out there *** to keep me around.

Follow Me On Twitter
    No one knows what carriers are picking it up yet. If sprint does palm better start pulling rabbits out there *** to keep me around.
    Ya I just read the Sprint Forums and people are just crying over the HD2. And I have to admit, that's one hell of a device. I'm thinking the same thing as you are, if Sprint doesn't get it, I might just flock over to the network who does, but I really don't want to leave my Everything plan.
    I don't know about the environment, but I know that 800+ apps and about 800 of them are flat stupid.

Although, to be fair, the ones I have... I LOVE.
    Yeah I'm not leaving sprint my plan is ridiculous cheap with my discounts. I only pay $90 for the family everything plan and airave. The HD2 is crazy device and I've been around windows mobile since 3.0 and could jump right back into the mix without missing a beat.

Follow Me On Twitter
    I love the Pre and webos but I'm a power user and it stinks being held down by a crippled SDK and API's right now. I'm willing to give palm time and know things will get better just hopefully soon than later.

Follow Me On Twitter
    What puzzles me....why the iphone like hardware in the Pre, and then not use it at all?

Also, another thing that bugs me is that the hardware in the Pre differs so much from the Pixi, but yet they seem to run at the same speed? What was the point of the better Pre hardware, and for gods sake, why not use it? Why don't these interviewers ask the questions we want them to ask?

And what if the Pres better hardware finally becomes unlocked....then what...will there be two different SDKs, one for the Pixi and one for the Pre?

I am confused!
    Quote Originally Posted by youngzayiles View Post
    No plans right now to change SDK strategy to a more native development environment."
    This will be the Death Of WebOS... I hope this isnt the case tho... Anyhow it was nice for a while...

I think Palm is trying to pull an apple and under promise so they can over deliver like apple did when the iPhone was released.. See the problem with that is, its not 3 years ago and palm aint apple.. dudes gotta speed this up and let us know if this stuff is coming.. I love WebOS and the way it handles a lot of things but the app catalog is crap. Lets face it the App store adds value to the iPhone as does Androids' store.. The app catalog on WebOS just doesn't... theres way to many other good (and sometimes better) options for consumers to compare the pre and the pixi to, to not have native app development coming makes making that choice easier to steer clear from Palm (and sprint, tho i do love my sprint service and my pre) and head for something thats more flexible with more options...
    Last edited by illskill; 12/18/2009 at 09:04 PM.
    tmobile...

T-Mobile bringing HTC HD2 to the States? All .nbh files point to 'yes' -- Engadget

it's a gsm phone

If things don't improve for the Palm in terms of apps, I will hold on until the AT&T exclusivity contract with the iPhone ends. Once iPhone comes to Sprint (and it will eventually) I'll then bail on the Palm.
    Don I saw that Tmobile had it in there system but I have heard and read 50 different interviews saying it was coming to CDMA also.

Follow Me On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Here's the only real reference that I can find to development of the SDK in the transcript of the report and Q&A session.
    Can't see why you would conclude that more hardware access isn't in the pipeline.
    Exactly this. He never says the SDK won't improve or change, he just says that he feels that they have a great environment, and that they'll continue with their plan moving forward.
    from the videos i have seen, i like that phone a lot. love the ui they have over the winmo and dont mind the larger screen.

Don I saw that Tmobile had it in there system but I have heard and read 50 different interviews saying it was coming to CDMA also.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast