Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well, as much as I didn't want to, I didn't have a choice. My headphone jack decided to go to ****, and there is no way of using the palm pre w/o a headphone or speakerphone.

So alas, I had to go to the sprint store and get a new palm pre. The only thing is I really like my pre the way it is... I have preware and all sorts of patches/apps installed... Anyway, so I was wondering if there's any way for me to backup my pre the way it is, and then restore that onto the new palm pre, or do I have to just backup whatever pictures I have and lose everything else...?
    You're hosed until somebody comes up with an app. There was one guy talking about it but I haven't heard anything in a while.
    I believe there may also be an issue in that a number of the databases are hardware specific and will only work with the Pre they were created on.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    If you do it right you will lose very little. I have used WebOS doctor several times (my fault every time I needed to do it) so I know the procedure to back up and restore everything fairly well. From my experience you can keep or restore the following:

• Calendar entries
    • Tasks
    • Memos
    • Emails
    • Contacts
    • Call History*
    • Messaging history*
    • App catalog apps
    • Everything on the USB portion of the Pre (music, videos, documents, etc...)

*Require backing up PalmDatabase.db3 from old phone and copying it to the new phone.

You will lose the following:

• Homebrew apps
    • Patches/tweaks/themes
    • Application data for App Catalog apps
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by strudel View Post
    If you do it right you will lose very little. I have used WebOS doctor several times (my fault every time I needed to do it) so I know the procedure to back up and restore everything fairly well. From my experience you can keep or restore the following:

• Calendar entries
    • Tasks
    • Memos
    • Emails
    • Contacts
    • Call History*
    • Messaging history*
    • App catalog apps

*Require backing up PalmDatabase.db3 from old phone and copying it to the new phone.

• Homebrew apps
    • Patches/tweaks/themes
    Cool,
    How do I copy the PalmDatabase.db3 folder? I found it using novaterm, but I don't know where to copy it so I can get it onto my computer.
    How do you do it? Ha, get ready... Its so impractical its not even funny... Your message history and your call history is not "backupable" which is another HUGE problem with this phone/gadget, one of many that is...
    Just a heads-up, my backup app is in-progress. Can't say much else at the moment, sry.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Jason,

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Just a heads-up, my backup app is in-progress. Can't say much else at the moment, sry.
    Can you give any sort of a rough idea of when it might be available? If not, no big deal. I can always dump the "important" stuff (PalmDatabase.db3) with sqlite3...

Cheers!
    Jason, I'd be interested too. My Pre screen is starting to crack like crazy, still works but I'm sure it is just a matter of time before the screen gives up.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmparcha View Post
    How do you do it? Ha, get ready... Its so impractical its not even funny... Your message history and your call history is not "backupable" which is another HUGE problem with this phone/gadget, one of many that is...
    Actually it is pretty easy. If you have used WebOS Quickinstall you are 90% of the way there. Here are the steps:

1. In WebOS QuickInstall, go to Tools->Receive File and get the following file: /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3. Put it on your desktop or someplace where you won't forget where it is.
    2. Get your new Pre.
    3. VERY IMPORTANT: Make sure new Pre is the same WebOS version as the old Pre. Update the Pre if needed to get to the correct version of WebOS.
    4. In WebOS QuickInstall go to Tools->Send file and send PalmDatabase.db3 to the following location: /var/luna/data/dbdata/
    5. Reset the Pre

You message history and call history should show up now. A full backup solution would be optimal but this works pretty well until then.
    Actually it is pretty easy. If you have used WebOS Quickinstall you are 90% of the way there. Here are the steps:

1. In WebOS QuickInstall, go to Tools->Receive File and get the following file: /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3. Put it on your desktop or someplace where you won't forget where it is.
    2. Get your new Pre.
    3. VERY IMPORTANT: Make sure new Pre is the same WebOS version as the old Pre. Update the Pre if needed to get to the correct version of WebOS.
    4. In WebOS QuickInstall go to Tools->Send file and send PalmDatabase.db3 to the following location: /var/luna/data/dbdata/
    5. Reset the Pre

You message history and call history should show up now. A full backup solution would be optimal but this works pretty well until then.
    this is good! Thanks
    That was excellent strudel. Now if I only had this thread 7 hours ago...
    crap what do I do if i backed up on 1.3.1 and than did a full erase and its on 1.2.1 and now only updating to 1.3.5?
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts

• Calendar entries
    • Tasks
    • Memos
    • Emails
    • Contacts
    • Call History*
    • Messaging history*
    • App catalog apps

• Homebrew apps
    • Patches/tweaks/themes
    You explained the way to backup the PalmDatabase.db3 already, but how about the rest. What exactly does the Palm Profile backup? I am thinking of webOS'n my phone in a couple days when 1.3.5 is out on it. It would be my first time and I would hate to lose calendar entries, memos, contacts. The stored music and movies I have on my laptop so no big deal, I can drag and drop those.
    agh are you SERIOUS????? I did a restore on my phone and half my memos are gone!!!!!!!!!! can palm get ANYTHING right????? MAN even with this update this phone doesn't do the most basic stuff and were coming up to the one year mark of its announcement, they SERIOUSLY will be left behind in the dirt if they don't fix this SIMPLE STUFF
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    I believe there may also be an issue in that a number of the databases are hardware specific and will only work with the Pre they were created on.
    I tried it last night with a new Pre, and it didn't work. I saved the PalmDatabase.db3 from the old phone, and when I copied it onto the new one, I got a message that I had to restart the phone and re-sign into my Palm Profile, which of course overwrote the file.

There may be a way to extract some of the data and insert it into the file on the new phone, but I'm lazy/busy. I can confirm that it did not work for me just copying that file with WebOS Quick Install from the old phone to the new phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by gettinapre View Post
    I tried it last night with a new Pre, and it didn't work. I saved the PalmDatabase.db3 from the old phone, and when I copied it onto the new one, I got a message that I had to restart the phone and re-sign into my Palm Profile, which of course overwrote the file.

There may be a way to extract some of the data and insert it into the file on the new phone, but I'm lazy/busy. I can confirm that it did not work for me just copying that file with WebOS Quick Install from the old phone to the new phone.

Were the versions of webOS the same? if you copy it over to a different webOS version it will not work correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by elpollodiablo1 View Post
    Were the versions of webOS the same? if you copy it over to a different webOS version it will not work correctly.
    I think so... Did the Pre get a 1.3.2 version?

I had not updated to 1.3.5 yet, so I think I had 1.3.1. My new one had 1.1 on it, so I used WebOS Doctor to update to 1.3.1, and then tried to copy over the db3 file. That's when it gave me the restart error.
    Last edited by gettinapre; 12/30/2009 at 01:41 PM.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I had backup my pre in 1.3.1 using the PalmDatabase.db3 and everything does reload completely, sms, call logs etc. HOWEVER, and I did this 2x, there are 3 major issues I noticed on my phone.
    1) calendar entries are all off by 6hrs. No messing with network settings, etc helps to fix this.
    2) Backup stops backing up automatically
    3) GPS wont stay on, you need to constantly check to see if its on and if its off, turn it on again and all of its sub options too.

Oh yeah, tried using the DB on the 1.3.5 update, my phone crashed and sent me back to sign into palm profile again.

So, here is hoping for a real back up app !!
    Thanks for the PalmDatabase.db3 tip. I messed up my phone while trying to repartition it, and ended up having to Web Doctor (fortunately I was planning ahead). After restoring this file, I have my call history and messages back. All I'm missing now are my homebrew apps & patches, and since I backed up all of /var, I should probably be able to restore those as well.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast