Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbrent80 View Post
    its probably got verizons firmware that limits everything you can do on it unless you pay the red devil more.. long live SPRINT!
    AMEN to this! Verizon will locked it down and make you pay for every little thing they can. I know from experience. I left verizon for sprint, partly becasue of the cheaper service and partly to get the Pre. Sprint is great
    I'm just interested in what will make it a "plus" model. I thought 1.3.5 would solve most of the issues so what can they do to make it even better?
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Verizon has amazing coverage but ****ty phones. It sounds like that is about to change. I live in Manhattan. I came her after living in Phoenix, and San Diego. Sprint coverage was decent but at times I had to roam on Verizon's network. Here in NYC Verizon is about the only decent cell carrier that works inside buildings. I get zero bars with sprint (AND I LIVE ON WALL ST 100 yards from the stock exchange!) but Verizon gets full bars. Even AT&T sucks down here.

But oh man, Verizon is going to cost more however verizon has internet and television bundles where I live that are out of this world. If I can get a decent unlimited plan, I'll probably still retain the same cost I had with Sprint along with getting a faster Fios speed(I am at 35/25 right now and I want that 50/35 . On top of that there sprint changing their terms of service very soon(like increasing some payments by .50cents), therefore giving anyone who signed a contract before January a way out of it.
    How ironic that it probably the same time the verizon pre will come out.
    Is there ANY reason at all to use Verizon for the Pre, when we have Sprint?

1) Sprint is a lot more affordable for the same service, than Verizon is.
    2) Sprint phones roam on Verizon *anyway*, so if you fall out of Sprint coverage you'll be in Verizon coverage!

This translates into *NO REASON AT ALL* to even think of paying more for Verizon. So Verizon is going to need something to entice users, and a "slightly better" Pre makes a lot of sense.

However, does Palm really want to manufacture two different Pres? I have a feeling if Verizon gets an upgraded Pre, Sprint's Pre will be quietly bumped to the new version as well.

Only time will tell!
    Well seeing Verizon's track record for crippling phones I'm not to worried it will be any better than Sprint.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    Also, Sprint got updated Centros and Verizon never did... it seems like Sprint may be more reliable as far as phone updates are concerned.
    I hope its better on VZW for Palm's sake. They need more sales asap.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    i hope vz doesn't lock things down and screw it up. even if they charge more i would like something like the unltd plan i have w/ sprint. i wouldnt mind roaming on vz except sprint doesn't have a roaming agreement that covers 90% of my commute each day. a wise man said "a smart phone w/out data is pretty dumb"
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    I hope its better on VZW for Palm's sake. They need more sales asap.
    Contrary to the Sprint fans that often frequent this form, VZ and AT&T both are far more capable marketers and network operators than Sprint. Pre sales will skyrocket once it's freed from Sprint's shackles. And that means a lot more developer focus.

this is important, as the next round of android phones are super capable. A friend just got a nexus one and it's extremely fast - way faster than my pre, and has all kinds of coice functionality integrated into it, and a ton of apps in the android market too.

This will be bad for Sprint but good for Palm once the pre is out there. It would have been so much better if the Pre were on VZ before the million droid phones got sold and before the nexusone goes on sale. But such is life.
    why so much talk about switching to verizon?? I'm pretty sure it'll basically be mainly current verizon cusomers getting the pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

2) Sprint phones roam on Verizon *anyway*, so if you fall out of Sprint coverage you'll be in Verizon coverage!

This translates into *NO REASON AT ALL* to even think of paying more for Verizon. So Verizon is going to need something to entice users, and a "slightly better" Pre makes a lot of sense.

However, does Palm really want to manufacture two different Pres? I have a feeling if Verizon gets an upgraded Pre, Sprint's Pre will be quietly bumped to the new version as well.

Only time will tell!
    1) People that don't want to pay an ETF but want the Pre

2) People that are on a Verizon family plan and it makes sense for them to stay

3) People whose companies use Verizon and they want to keep their corporate plans but get the Pre

I can't believe people are still making statements such as 'NO REASON AT ALL', your opinion and the opinion of 300 million Americans can, at times, be different.
    I left Sprint for V when my g/f's phone bills hit the roof. She only has cell, (no land line), I have a land line and a cell. My landline has free long distance, as long as I keep my internet service with them, (my DSL cannot rise in price and is fixed at the price I pay for life, as long as I keep landline with Embarq, along with free long distance for life).

Since we live in different counties, it was long distance for her and free for me. That was about 3 years ago. Of course we are now on the same system, V, so it is free for us.

Then the cell companies started allowing calling circles or most called numbers and so on and so on. Cell service is non existance with Sprint in my house, it is so so with V. No other cell service works in my house at all.

Therefore, I have stayed with V. My contract with them ends in June. V has more or less been on the side lines of smart phones compared to other cell firms. If they want to get a good chunk of the business they will have to stop disabling features on smart phones and have competive pricing plans.

I should also mention that my g/f's firm gives huge discounts for emplyees, in exchange for her firm celling V's phones at their stores. My Mom, both of my g/f'd parents, plus my phone and my g/f's phones are on one plan. That puts my & my Mom's phones at a 40% discount from what I was paying at Sprint.

Now when my contract is up with V, I will either change to Sprint to get the Pre and ungrade from my Centro, which is the 4th Palm model, that I have owned. Or stay with V and get the Pre + or what ever it ends up being called.

One thing I will not do is get and Iphone no matter what firm. I like a keyboard, I am disabled and typing on a screen hurts my hands and fingers.

I was with At & T when I moved here 13 years ago and their customer serive was a joke, I stayed with them for 5 or so years, then switched to Bell south, which also had crummy customer service, (that was before they became cingular and then eventually AT & T). Then I went to Sprint to get a Treo 300, then Treo 600 and then Treo 650. Loved all three models but Spint's customer serive is even worse than AT & T's was when I was with them.

One thing I must say is V has MUCH better customer service and far better coverage!

MY guess and hope is that V changes it long term stance of cutting off smart phone features and has a rate structure that is better for smart phones.

Keep in mind that V bought the largest of the former TV frequencies, which will some day offer far better service and features. They will NEVER get people to shift to these frequencies, if they continue their stance of disabling festures and having worse fee structures than other companies.

Poll after poll shows that Iphone users would change to an other firm when they upgrade their phones to get away from AT & T's service. The only way that V can pick off these customers is to have coparable features with comparitive pricing!

Or one can only hope. After all, both NY Times & wall st journal columists, where quick to point out how much better the Pre would be, if it was offered on V, which hands down has better coverage and customer service. THis is also bourn out with the figures from Consumer Reports which rated V the higest in all catagories. Needless to say that Sprint was on the Bottom with AT & T.

Depending where you live, poeple will put up with lesser coverage, if it doesn't effect them, to get a cheaper plan. However, here in central FL as well as when I lived in Rural PA, there was/is a huge difference in coverage!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    +1 - I agree completely. Any upgrades in hardware and WebOS software will find its way to other carriers.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

Only time will tell!
    i live in an area where vz does not allow me to roam. hence my upcoming switch.
    well lets hope so..
    618 Harrisburg Pike
    Columbus, OH 43223
    well i sure hope so
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12