Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by botanu View Post
    Update: Sorry, I didn't realize that I was in the GSM thread when I originally posted. I'm actually with Sprint in the US. Removing all my patches didn't solve my problem. I can only keep the correct time by resetting my phone or cycling on/off the airplane mode to refresh it.
    Another update: My problem wasn't solved by removing patches, instead I used a method suggested on another forum that might apply to GSM phones as well. I shut down to swap out the battery, left the battery out for a few minutes and then put it back in. My Pre has been keeping the correct time for over a week since then.
  2. one
    same problem here!

Palm Pre
    WebOS 1.3.5.2
    vodafone
    germany

waiting for netork time ......
    waiting for network time zone ......

First of all a conceptual question:
    where does it get the network time from?

• GPS signal --> if if would be so, it would work only with location services active, and GPS "connected"
    • wireless network --> if it would be so, it would work only with wireless connected
    • telephone "data" channel --> if it would be so, it would work only with the "telephony" "data usage" = "on"
    • telephone "telephone channel" --> in this way it should "always" work (as soon as the provider sends the signal)
    • one of the previous no matter which one (as soon as you have the "signal" use it) --> in this way it should "always" work

I ask this because in the standard setting I have wireless on (and I am very very often connected), but location services and "data usage" off.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Just install a patch from Preware
  4. one
    I am not "really" in a hurry, so I would rather wait for an "official update"/patch (as far as I know one have to deinstall the patches before applying the official updates, right?)

Anyway I would like to get an answer to my question, which is of fundamental nature (even with the patch, if the ntp gets time ONLY from the tel data chennel, it would be almost useless for me ...)
  5. one
    Yesterday I have installed the 1.4.0. Still the same thing.

The only advantage is that it give you some advices.
    Sometimes there is a pop up:
    "network time not available, do you want to set it temporally manually"?
    Then you go in the time settings and you see the other advice:
    "if you want an instantaneous network time "sync" turn Airplane=ON and then Airplane=OFF

This works, but after a while again the sync is lost and it stars drifting

again my question: from where does it get the time (which time source)? and why for heaven turning Airplane off /on should help finding the network time?!?!
  6.    #26  
    A while has passed since I started this thread, but I'm still having the issue with the time.
    The d^mn thing constantly drifts away, I'd like to switch it off at night but I just can't due to the time issue, I only put it on aermode but it's not good enough, I have to re-sync it every day with the dedicated app. Anything that can solve this at present?
    There is a great app in the app catalog called "Clock Sync" that helps recitfy the drifting time problem. It can correct your time against an internet clock as many times per day as you want. I've used it for quite a while now and it works perfectly.

That said my phone recently managed to get hold of the network time and time zone so I've set the app to only monitor the time instead of actually correcting it. 2 weeks after the network time started to work on my phone the time is roughly 10 seconds off rather than the 20-30 minutes it would've been before, which I can live with.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by crowning73 View Post
    I only put it on aermode but it's not good enough, I have to re-sync it every day with the dedicated app.
    Quoting myself, I've been using that app for quite a while too. But I expected something had come up during this time...
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quoting myself, I've been using that app for quite a while too. But I expected something had come up during this time...
    No change for me (O2 UK Pre (minus)) - still need Clock Sync
    My bad. I assumed that was with the internal app since mine was able to sync perfectly fine to keep the clock running smoothly without my intervention and your phrasing sounded to me like you needed to go in there and do things yoruself.

That said mine started working after I was in the UK and managed to get it to sync on the O2-network and when I got back home it managed to sync on my Swedish network as well.

Have you tried recently to get it to sync (set it to get network time and timezone, reboot and see what happens)? (my guess is you might have but anyway...)
  11.    #31  
    Yes, that was I thought, now my network must provide time sync, surely? But no such luck, nothing's changed since last year, I'm based in Italy and apparently Vodafone Italy doesn't provide time sync, although I don't know anybody with the Pre around here and can't be sure.
    I'll use Clock Sync for another year and try again in 2011.....
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Mine only drift a minite or two during the night (aeroplane mode). Never had a problem with the Network Time, it syncs right after I leave aeroplane mode.

Im on Telia in Sweden and mostly use 2G mode.
    Yestarday, I had the same problem, with my Pre offering me to setup date and time temporarily, because it wasn't available on the network. I've flicked the airplane mode a couple of times, but still got the same result: I was stuck on the eleventh of September (scary!), year 2009.

Until I remembered I've been fiddling with the very nice "Quick System Tasks" application, from "GeekITSolutions.com". One of the things I did was turning on the option to disable Cell Data traffic, so my phone wouldn't attempt any data connection if Wi-Fi wasn't available. It seems it affects the network date and time update.

Am I right?
    For my provider there is a number I can call that forces an "update" of the Sim-card.
    When I call I get an automated message that they will send me an update-sms and to restart the phone in 5 minutes.

The Pre does not even require a restart - a few seconds after the call the clock changed to the correct time and stayed correct ever since.

Maybe you can contact your provider for an update.

PS: I'm on Orange Austria - the magic number is 77699 in case anybody else in Austria needs it.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12