1.    #1  
    I've read the thread in the Palm Pre section of the forum on battery life, but that seemed to be pretty much all CDMA phones as far as I could see.
    And so my question: What's the average battery life/drain of your a GSM Pre? Mine has an average drain of 15% per hour under light use and up to 25-30% under heavy use.
    I've heard of people getting 2-5% under light use and 5-10% under heavy use (CDMA Pres I think) and quite frankly I'm paranoid that I've got a dud phone or a bad battery. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Depends what you call light use I guess but my battery is pretty good. Have you got any patches installed?
  3.    #3  
    Light use for me is occasional (one message every 5 minutes or so) gtalking. Heavy use is constant web browsing and 1-3 minutes or so gtalk messaging. I have
    4x4 Icons v3
    All-Day Events in Month View
    Close Slider to End Calls
    Default to Month view
    Enable Add/Delete Pages
    Enable LED Notifications
    Just Charge by Default
    I also have the 'Have Some Colour 2.0' theme installed.

I'm tempted to try running EPR and trying a day patchless, but somehow I don't think I'll ever get 2-5% drain... Would my suspicions be founded in saying 'I have a defective thing.'?
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    The main drain for me is the crap O2 (UK) signal where I live. The Pre hunting around for a signal is a killer. I have a 900MHz signal booster in my house giving me almost full signal in my front room. The data toggle patch is installed so that when my Pre is in standby, its still connected to the internet by my wireless connection. I also have the Smartflex patch installed. This gives me a drain of about 2% per hour.

Driving in my car with the audio Blue Toothed to my car radio and listening to the AccuRadio application I get a drain of about 25% per hour.
    This is my first GSM pohone with a regular empty battery, need to charge it every night. Even during a night without charging, it eats something like 35%. I have switched on airplane mode during the night while not charging. That is much better , but I am not a pilot during the day.

Yesterday I did not dare to use it because I might not be able to check out my car (needs a GSM call, to checkout and pay by phone)
    I understand that 1.3.5 has better battery performance, I'll wait. If not I need to buy a high cap. battery. Current battery performance makes the pre useless in my case, even on 2G only.
    Last edited by Dick99999; 12/18/2009 at 02:43 AM.
    I found battery life pretty miserable .. 12 hours light use, upgraded to Mugen 3800 battery and now get 3 days light use, payoff is chunky phone (though its easier to hold). Worth getting. http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...0-battery.html
  7. anx
    WHOA! The phone with the Mugen is really TOO big!!! Ouch!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by anx View Post
    WHOA! The phone with the Mugen is really TOO big!!! Ouch!!!
    Well thats your choice .. crap battery life vs. crap looking phone. :-)
  9. anx
    Obviously that's my choice...but I can see your motivations...and I have to admit that your choice wasn't bad...bad looking yes, but NOT BAD...

Battery life on Pre is really a shame...even worse that iPhone! :O
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    well I found that removing all patches improved my battery immensely. Ive never found out which one but I dont use patches now.
    With the kind of use your describing I would say I would get around 3%-5% an hour drain. I have 3g switched off, at work the 3g signal is patchy but EDGE is really good and at home I use wifi. I also leave my BT and wifi on constantly
  11.    #11  
    I've had a similar experience, patch-wise. Removing them all seemed to help a fair bit, I think the battery percentage ones are to blame, but I can't be sure, and of course there may be others. I sure hope 1.3.5 brings improvement enough so I can get 5% an hour with patches, that would be pretty perfect for me >.>
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    I am seeing up to 8% an hour drain quite often, with the Pre just 'idling' - only 2G enabled, emails as they arrive [lucky to get max 4 gmails a day] location services etc. off too.

If that isn't bad enough....

When I switch it up to 3G just before I fire up the browser for a bit of surfing, I see the battery getting absolutely annihilated. I am talking -3% for every 9min of browsing. Surely is is not right...

...thoughts?
    ...am I alone on this performance?
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
    I've read the thread in the Palm Pre section of the forum on battery life, but that seemed to be pretty much all CDMA phones as far as I could see.
    And so my question: What's the average battery life/drain of your a GSM Pre? Mine has an average drain of 15% per hour under light use and up to 25-30% under heavy use.
    I've heard of people getting 2-5% under light use and 5-10% under heavy use (CDMA Pres I think) and quite frankly I'm paranoid that I've got a dud phone or a bad battery. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
    I am running unlocked GSM Pre 1.3.1. No patches. I am getting 8-9% battery drain under regular working day usage (one Exchange account with 10 incoming emails/1 outgoing, occasional short web browsing and 10min voice calls). Overall, I hardly make more than 8-10 hours. WiFi and GPS tuned off. BT turned on while driving (1-2 hours).

And that's make my life difficult. At least once a week I run out of battery even around earlier. I am perfectly happy with charging my Pre every night, but I need at least 12 hours under regular (heavy) usage.

I tried switching EAS from push to 15min intervals, 3G to 2G. No significant improvement. Keep my fingers crossed for 1.3.5

Kreso