1.    #1  
    Never thought this would happen...I was outside filling my gas tank this am...it was hovering around 0 degress and I got a call as i got back into my car and guess what? I couldn't do anything except to use my hardware button. So I guess my screen froze.

I had my HTC Touch Pro and it would do this all the time too..but I had hardware talk and end buttons.

Curious if anybody else in cold weather climates has had similar issues?
    Last edited by dodgebusta; 12/18/2009 at 01:09 PM. Reason: better
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    I haven't had this happen to my Pre yet, but my original HTC touch and my 6800 before that had the same problem with the Wisconsin winters.
  3.    #3  
    Yea I live in WI and work in MN...This is crazy...did it again this afternoon too me too...left it in my car for 45 mins.
  4.    #4  
    Ok does anybody know at what temp the touch screen will become inop? I just cannot for the life of me believe that a positive (F) temp would do it.
    I haven't seen this yet, but I assume that in Canada it will be likely. I've seen other screens freeze (non touch) in the winter. It's -20C out today - maybe I'll see how long it lasts...

As for answering, the slider should work for getting the call. There's a patch that allows closing the slider to end the call, which might be useful for this.
    Yeah ...

-1 F or around -20c and my screen was working. I was wearing gloves and walked from the metro to my mums place. Ten minutes or so and during that time the phone worked fine.

Shrug.
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgebusta View Post
    Ok does anybody know at what temp the touch screen will become inop? I just cannot for the life of me believe that a positive (F) temp would do it.
    If the screen gets down around 25 F, it will probably stop working.

The liquid isn't actually frozen, but the screen does need to be a certain temperature to operate, generally above 40 F.

And this isn't a characteristic of cell phones, it's any LCD.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    If the screen gets down around 25 F, it will probably stop working.

The liquid isn't actually frozen, but the screen does need to be a certain temperature to operate, generally above 40 F.

And this isn't a characteristic of cell phones, it's any LCD.
    It was close to 0F and I wasn't refering to the LCD freezing...had that happens all the time with LCD's...and most LCDs work to -10F thats where every laptop I have ever had works til, and where my research in school brought me to.

My touch senstivity was gone...I would tap various places on the screen...I pressed the button on the front and it put my incoming phone call as a card...I pulled out the keyboard and tried typing and it all worked.

As for the patch I used it and for me it won't work...I am constantly on my WIFI and emailing and texting while on the phone. And constantly forgot NOT to slide the keyboard closed.
    Last edited by dodgebusta; 12/18/2009 at 02:42 PM. Reason: oops i had poor grammer
    I've noticed poor (or no) response times, delayed touchscreen capabilities and I'm only in the southeast and the temps are ~25-35 degrees at night. I can't imagine living in Canada or a place where the temps barely get above zero...just another annoyance of this "smartphone"
    2 thoughts

1) I assume you were not wearing gloves right? only ask because there have been people who post odd user-error related things. and since i don't know you, and its the internet, I can't assume (although, given you tried to type on the keyboard, i can infer, but I have a pair of very tight leather gloves that i can do one finger typing with on my pre)

for example there have been multiple threads started to complain about screen damage, but only in the car. turns out, thats when they wear there polarized sunglasses.

2) capacitance, i know, can be effected by temperature. I would imagine that the capacitive screen would diminish in responsiveness as you decrease temperature.
    There are four lights.
    no gloves...bare hands on my leather steering wheel while waiting for the heater to turn from cold air to warm air. Did have a cup of coffee
  12.    #12  
    no gloves for me either...don't wear them unless i'm skiing or its -10F or colder. But yea so I called palm on friday and asked...they said that the touch screen should be sensitive down to -25F. I am taking it to my mom's work on monday...they have a temp control chamber that can go down to -180F i'll try it at various temps and see what I can figure out. Post results monday night.
  13.    #13  
    ok tried these 3 phones
    my pre
    iphone
    hero

pre lasted to 15 F
    iphone lasted to -10F
    hero lasted to -15 F

waited to post this, went to the store and added a line for this test i'll return in a few hours:

nib pre lasted to -15 F

So i guess mine is bad and now off to the store to return the nib pre and have them get me a replacement ordered up.

So i guess most