Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So, in 2007, Palm canceled the Foleo, what would have been the first netbook computer.

you can see the announcement in this blog:
    The Official Palm Blog: A Message to Palm Customers, Partners and Developers

from what I am seeing in Palm CEO's post from that date, seems like they clearly were planning on coming out with Foleo 2, and they are clearly saying Foleo 2 will use WebOS, which was the new platform they were refering to.

It's been 2 years, the platform is ready, is this going to be the big thing at the January CES?

This is certainly my own speculation, but I can not help but think that their blog post and the quoted passage below is clearly indicating that WebOS Feleo is bound to come out.

And instead of in the form of a netbook, I would guess that the new foleo would be a Tablet device.

-------------------------
    In this blog post, Palm CEO said:
    To that end, and after careful deliberation, I have decided to cancel the Foleo mobile companion product in its current configuration and focus all of our energies on delivering our next generation platform

Jeff Hawkins and I still believe that the market category defined by Foleo has enormous potential. When we do Foleo II it will be based on our new platform, and we think it will deliver on the promise of this new category. We're not going to speculate now on timing for a next Foleo, we just know we need to get our core platform and smartphones done first.
    -----------------------------------
    Jeff Hawkins doesn't work at Palm anymore. Ed Colligan is no longer Palm's CEO.

Palm is an entirely new company from when they were coming out with the Foleo, so who knows if anything they said then still applies. However, I think if they do come out with one it won't be a few years down the line.

The Foleo was cancelled because it was taking away from their core smartphone business yet. I don't believe the the Pre or webOS are complete enough for them to divert their focus, yet again.
  3. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    You won't see Palm getting into the netbook business anytime soon.
    Right, I believe it was on the Engadget Show with Rubenstein where he talked about how he had to dump pretty much every side project to focus on webOS smartphones and getting them out to consumers.

I don't foresee a Foleo II anytime in the near future.
    This would be a terrible idea.

Palm absolutely does not have the resources for a project like this until WebOS is far more developed than it is currently.
    on the engadet show josh asked ruby did he stop the foleo and jon said yes, why would jon now want to bring it back.
    I think a WebOS tablet would be great!
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    It will be a bigger , better phone (bigger processor).
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    I think a WebOS tablet would be great!
    This is a great idea; sadly, unless Palm licences WebOS to someone like Nokia, it's not going to happen.

Also, since when does vaporware "define" a market category? I think Colligan was getting a little ahead of himself...
    I'm afraid I can't let you do that.
    i could only wish....
    Foleo is rightfully dead and may it please stay that way. However Im counting on a tablet from them, just not for a while.
    With a sufficient CPU, GPU acceleration, and Adobe Flash, a webOS tablet would be a very useful device.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    Meh, I'll be happy with a Pre2 that has 32GB or 64GB of storage, bluetooth keyboard support, Docs2Go and a pico project with a higher res than the native screen. Who needs a laptop or a netbook when I can set my phone on the desk aimed at the wall behind it and just unroll an ultraportable BT keyboard?
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    All the people who are sitting in their favorite chair or lounging the couch in front of the TV and want to browse the web/get some work done/do whatever people do with their computers???
    Until they build the business applications for the WebOS the tablet would be pretty useless. The thought is of course is on track for the future of WebOS devices. If the price was also in the range of $100 bucks or less, because you'd have to sign up with a wireless carrier. When you compete against the netbooks, which are only $300 and they have mature OS, it may be a tough market.
    WebOS is designed first and foremost a phone OS....with miles of polish still required. Given it's current limitations it would completely blow on a netbook/tablet.

A few issues that come to mind...

- No official virtual keyboard
    - No way to edit documents (word, excel, power point)
    - No flash support
    - Can't view local HTML files
    - Inability to use VPN software
    - No GPU support
    - Laggy interface
    - Horrific SDK/API

Wost tablet ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    WebOS is designed first and foremost a phone OS....with miles of polish still required. Given it's current limitations it would completely blow on a netbook/tablet.

A few issues that come to mind...

- No official virtual keyboard
    - No way to edit documents (word, excel, power point)
    - No flash support
    - Can't view local HTML files
    - Inability to use VPN software
    - No GPU support
    - Laggy interface
    - Horrific SDK/API

Wost tablet ever.
    what about a touch screen ebook reader? something that can run apps, and books, but with the limitations of e ink, isn't going to be held back by the speed of the interface, since eink takes so long anyway.

also, it should have lasers, and a microscope.
    There are four lights.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    what about a touch screen ebook reader? something that can run apps, and books, but with the limitations of e ink, isn't going to be held back by the speed of the interface, since eink takes so long anyway.

also, it should have lasers, and a microscope.

Exactly!!

a Palm KINDLE sized tablet, a tablet the size of kindle with full color display, and a long battery life.

Read books, browse online, do whatever.

That would be so beautiful!!!!

19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Jeff Hawkins doesn't work at Palm anymore. Ed Colligan is no longer Palm's CEO.

Palm is an entirely new company from when they were coming out with the Foleo, so who knows if anything they said then still applies. However, I think if they do come out with one it won't be a few years down the line.

The Foleo was cancelled because it was taking away from their core smartphone business yet. I don't believe the the Pre or webOS are complete enough for them to divert their focus, yet again.
    You are right, but I think the long term Palm strategy is to be a OS player,

and the OS they build will be used not just in cellphones, but also little tablets.

Definitely not a full window netbook, but something smaller, slicker and way better!!

A Foleo 2 running WebOS would be an interesting possibility, but would (IMO) be vastly overshadowed by the similar-in-concept Google Chrome devices said to be coming out, as well as the more robust OS netbooks.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast