Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Yes, I still have the 600mhz patch.
    Let's get this out of the way. This is my 3rd pre, and it's the best one yet. My 2nd Pre did not handle it that well, but I got it to work after some time. This third Pre has a pretty good hardware build and it handled the 600 mhz patch without any trouble. I'm a light-medium user.

It feels like the thing is 2x faster. I open applications and the difference in launch time is noticeable when comparing to a regular pre.

Secondly, the battery life is AMAZING. I don't know what it is about this patch that the 550 mhz patch does not do...
    When I had the 550 mhz patch, it did make the battery a bit better... However, when I applied the 600 mhz patch my Pre's battery life spiked.

The thing about my battery life with the 550/500/normal Pre is that it drained when I was not using it. The 550 less than the 500, and the 500 less than the normal (obviously).
    It might be just me, but the 600 makes a big jump from 550.

Somebody told me that I was crazy when I last reported this... and I probably am. I can go 20 hours with light usage, which is just plain weird with the Pre.

I learned from Pre 1 to 3 that if you apply the patch and it gets stuck, then charge it and let it sit... It should wake the Pre back up. I don't know if this is a foolproof way of course, it just worked the first 2 times and the 3rd one didn't have a problem.
    I guess I can see why it's dangerous. It really make or breaks my relationship with the Pre.

Anybody else still with the 600mhz and doing well?
    got the same patch and loving every second of it. my phone does lock up booting from time to time and usually boots right after. its Extremely SNAPPY!!!
    I had to bump down to 550 because I was getting 2-4 second random lockups.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I had to webos doctor my phone and used to run this patch. I cant seem to find it again on preware is it still up?
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    That is interesting.
    I am tempted to apply it.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    i think smartreflex disables the autoshutdown at 8%. i got over 24 hours on a charge w/ light usage and i found me Pre at like 3% but not shutting down. it wouldnt do much but it was awake.
    Why do multiple iterations of powersave and smartreflex with identical version numbers show up in Preware/Patches/Obsolete?
    I have read the 6 months less life with the 600 patch. What is the expected life of a Pre, if 3 years, then that will give me about the right life, because when this baby hits 2 years I'm on to something new. Its not that I don't like the Pre, just expect to upgrade. If the normal life is 4 years then I don't understand the worry, heck I got my old 650 & 800w sitting in a closet. Probably should dump them on Ebay for $20.
    Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre
    anyone have a copy of that patch, i had it and it worked fine for me. but had to swap phone, and is obsolete now. looked around os internals and couldnt find i there either.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    It seems too risky imo. I have heard the life of the Pre being reduced to 6 months as a result.
    I'm on my 4th pre since launch, so i'm more worried about it's own life expectancy, lol
    i found it a while ago and posted the link in the ?stable cpu scaling forum?? give me some time i will see if i can find it ...anythin to procrastinate studying for physics final
    okay here it is...
    i could not remember how to do an attachment so go to this link and it is post #646 open the attatchment and paste it via webOSQI then check your time_in_state to make sure that is working. Tp check that(the easy way) open the linux commmandline via webOSQI and put in this line exactly, so.. copy paste Enjoy, and remember this is all at your own risk..DO not blame the developers for any problems that may occur! Thanks.

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post2068520
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    It seems too risky imo. I have heard the life of the Pre being reduced to 6 months as a result.
    yeah, you HEARD that like a lot of other people have, but where was that documented? someone started that rumor and nobody has produced any proof or documentation from TI or any other credible source.
    here i can upload the patch file
    Attached Files Attached Files
    please be careful ive had great results but all the pre's chips are different and others have had problems. Mine can not handle the cpu-scaling but the smart reflex works well
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    If it locks up, try putting it on charge and wait it out. That fixed my problem twice.
    You don't have to doctor your phone immediately.

If your Pre runs smoothly after this, I suggest keeping it.
    I mean... something about that patch makes the battery life stellar.
    There was a reason why ron pulled this patch cause you need to understand price to pay for overclocking and most dont. It may take the overclock now BUT you're effectively reducing the projected lifespan of the CPU and TI released info that some chips using the 600mhz clock had their life reduced to 6 months. NOT by 6 months but TO 6 months. Also not every chip can do this so even if it is running the chip may not be doing it well, making computation mistakes, so things like software corruption would occur and force the need to run the doctor.

Much of the performace issues with the Pre should be resolved when Palm takes much of the graphics rendering off the CPU to the GPU so IMO its not worth the eventual price to pay for immediate gratification. Running the 500mhz smartflex sure NP to get better battery life but 600....
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    yeah, you HEARD that like a lot of other people have, but where was that documented? someone started that rumor and nobody has produced any proof or documentation from TI or any other credible source.
    EDIT:: Info on the processor can be found here, unable to find the article from TI as of right now, it is the OMAP 3430 processor, sorry its a Wiki but it's a good summed up source of information on the processor.

Actuall Chud TI did put out a statement, not exactly saying it will reduce life but actually it will destroy the chip. The Omap Chip that is in our phone and many other is made to be clocked at 600 Mhz but a certain number of them a number which TI did not release was botched and is only able to clock to 500 Mhz so if one of those people were to clock to 600Mhz the chip would fry itself which has happened to a few people i know of. NO they did not say it will make the lifespan only 6 months but it could destroy the chip instantly or cause permanent damage, but no timeframe was given...I will try to find the article again..
    Last edited by Runningwarrior08; 12/16/2009 at 11:29 AM. Reason: put Imap instead of Omap, sorry...
    i wanna try but i'm scared
    Meh, my first Pre didn't last 6 months so why not get the best performance out of it in the meantime?

But seriously, I guess it becomes a moral issue if you knowingly do something to your Pre that is likely to shorten it's life then take it back to Sprint and claimed it "died."
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast