Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I'm on my 4th Pre already, all of them having had fatal HARDWARE flaws that had nothing to do with the processor.

I'm fine with the risks of the potentially reduced life.
    Quote Originally Posted by larryflynt2k View Post
    got the same patch and loving every second of it. my phone does lock up booting from time to time and usually boots right after. its Extremely SNAPPY!!!
    What the heck? Am I the only one on here that has a Pre from before September or whenever that date is where you can install the patch and not have your unit freeze on the "Palm" startup screen? I really want to test this patch out and make my phone more efficient.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    It seems too risky imo. I have heard the life of the Pre being reduced to 6 months as a result.

here is what i read and understand

it was not ALL of the phones that had the chip in them that would get 6 month life out of it at 600mhz. it was some, like 25%, and that was just on the first shipments. not knowing witch ones were which to be exact they clock them all at 500 so it was not a benefit to purchase later and having the people who purchased first feel ripped off.

i also understand it had to do with battery life, but mostly the above issue

again this is what i read and understand
    Pre be with you.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. -- Winston Churchill

Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities. -- Aldous Huxley
    I am so tempted to do this but I am terrified of the thought of my Pre dying after 6 months of use...
  5. ula
    I dont like the fact they are now hiding this patch from people. I use it and i love it and i dont have any issues (and i got my pre on june 6). Granted its a choice to run the risk but at least give people the choice.
    I agree, I've removed the SR600 patch a couple of times for various reasons and always put it back on at the first opportunity. I don't really care if it fries the phone (that's what the insurance is for). I've been using it on my early June Pre since the patch was first posted and it's been fine. I love it. The performance difference is not huge but I definitely notice it, and the battery life improvement is enormous for me.

I think the life shortening properties have been greatly exaggerated and may or may not be an urban myth. The 6 month thing gets repeated a lot but so far nobody can ever seem to find the source of the rumor.

The people that worry about it are the same kind of people who are afraid to cut the tags off of their mattresses.
    The people that worry about it are the same kind of people who are afraid to cut the tags off of their mattresses.
    What is wrong with you??? YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO REMOVE THOSE TAGS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!

I keed, I keed...
    If you want to test things out, install the command prompt patch, or just use WOSQI and test things out temporarily.

Patch webOS CPU Frequency or Voltage Scaling - WebOS Internals

This shows you how to do it. You can do CPU scaling or SmartReflex, and set your clock speed to 500, 550, 600... If it crashes, when you reboot, it's gone.

I've done this to compare which is better for my Pre. Currently I run the SmartReflex and set my clock speed to 550.
    pretty much i think i would like this but i have a question! everyone is talkling about how they bought their pre back in june. mine was bought in october. what is everyones opinion on the later models and the builds of the internals?
    ula,

The patch is still there in the git repo. The patch was removed from the preware feed as there seems to be a large number of people who fail to read the warnings and end up posting that they bricked their phone.

Hence, you can still patch the phone but the bar is hopefully raised to the point where there is understanding of what is being changed rather than patching and hoping for the best.

If the smartreflex/cpu-scaling is stabilized in the kernel, I will consider putting this back in the feed again.
    Mobile photoblog http://post.jauderho.com/
    ula,

The patch is still there in the git repo. The patch was removed from the preware feed as there seems to be a large number of people who fail to read the warnings and end up posting that they bricked their phone.

Hence, you can still patch the phone but the bar is hopefully raised to the point where there is understanding of what is being changed rather than patching and hoping for the best.

If the smartreflex/cpu-scaling is stabilized in the kernel, I will consider putting this back in the feed again.
    Mobile photoblog http://post.jauderho.com/
    i tried this. I didn't notice ANY speed difference
    Who's life did this patch save? All I see are people talking about their phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    If it locks up, try putting it on charge and wait it out. That fixed my problem twice.
    You don't have to doctor your phone immediately.

If your Pre runs smoothly after this, I suggest keeping it.
    I mean... something about that patch makes the battery life stellar.
    which patch the smartreflex or just the scaler?
    What about applying the reflex part of the patch without the overclocking? Would that be stable? I guess i"m not sure if it's the overclocking or the smartreflex that allegedly causes the flakiness.
    Quote Originally Posted by EdCates View Post
    What about applying the reflex part of the patch without the overclocking? Would that be stable? I guess i"m not sure if it's the overclocking or the smartreflex that allegedly causes the flakiness.
    i think you're talking about the smartreflex 500 patch, which is available and widely used by people (with fewer problems). this does not change the clock speed of the processor (keeps it at 500) but enables the smartreflex feature.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redninja View Post
    which patch the smartreflex or just the scaler?
    I just use the reflex.

And yeah, 500mhz smartreflex should just install the reflex part... which should mean battery savings? I guess.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Ok. So apparently I'm not quite understanding how to install this. Do I have to run the line from the file using the command line in WebOS QI? If so, I'm getting a permission denied error (Dev mode is enabled). Or do I need to copy the file to a specific location on my phone? Any help? God I miss it being available via preware.
    so, if i keep checking the time_in_state stats, and it never says i'm above the short 550 at startup, just that and 500, does that mean it's not working? does it need a huge load to jump to 600? i tried running a bunch of stuff at once, and it still says that it's mostly at 500.

the universal search is MUCH quicker though. like, wow, quicker. that's and some speed with loading photos and the browser opening are about all i've noticed so far. that and a video got sketched out when playing. i think if that's all i get over the next few days, i'm taking it off. i watch a decent amount of videos (mostly showing friends how stupid we are when i capture w precorder ) but don't care about the increase in universal search and photo speed as much.

We'll see...
    Quote Originally Posted by jauderho View Post
    ula,

I installed your patch on my launch day Pre before it was relegated to the Dangerous category on Preware. I don't remember any warnings, and I'm not aware of any now that state that your patch will brick some Pre's. Your patch did brick my phone, and I posted that it did in a thread or two along with, as you say, "a large number of people". I explicitly stated that I blamed no one but myself. That is still the case.

Your post however, rubs me the wrong way. Your patch WILL brick a certain percentage of phones that it is installed on. My Pre glowed at 100% screen brightness or more after install, when I had it adjusted to 0 (Eerie when driving at night). My BT headset would beep that I had a call but would be silent when I would answer it. After freezes, the Pre would stick on "palm" during reboot. Finally, WebOs Doctor failed to recognize the phone. That's bricked to me, not just "posted bricked". Everything I have just stated has been reported by others on this forum.

"Hence"? "The bar is hopefully raised"? What are you talking about?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast