Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The phone itself is fantastic. I love the design and the feel. WebOS is pretty slick and I like the way everything works together. But here is the thing. This phone is supposed to be based on linux operating system (something that I love, I use linux on all my comps except one and it is just the best OS ever). Despite this linux base (the gnu liscence is stored on your pre, just open it up as a jump drive and its right there) the majority of apps are not free (they should all be free, there are millions of programs for linux distros and every single one is free). I understand that people spend time developing but that is where donations come in. Further, not only are most apps not free, there are so few apps that it just drives me nuts. This week there were a bunch of apps loaded that are about individual cities sport teams...REALLY? why not just one kick **** sports app? I love this phone but unless there is a drastic turn around in the app store I will have no choice but to switch to Android (which has tens of thousands of apps (many of which are free)...go to the android app store and click "Top Free" and you will get 14 full pages of free apps...click "Top Paid" and there are 3 pages.)
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectHorizon View Post
    The phone itself is fantastic. I love the design and the feel. WebOS is pretty slick and I like the way everything works together. But here is the thing. This phone is supposed to be based on linux operating system (something that I love, I use linux on all my comps except one and it is just the best OS ever). Despite this linux base (the gnu liscence is stored on your pre, just open it up as a jump drive and its right there) the majority of apps are not free (they should all be free, there are millions of programs for linux distros and every single one is free). I understand that people spend time developing but that is where donations come in. Further, not only are most apps not free, there are so few apps that it just drives me nuts. This week there were a bunch of apps loaded that are about individual cities sport teams...REALLY? why not just one kick **** sports app? I love this phone but unless there is a drastic turn around in the app store I will have no choice but to switch to Android (which has tens of thousands of apps (many of which are free)...go to the android app store and click "Top Free" and you will get 14 full pages of free apps...click "Top Paid" and there are 3 pages.)
    Uh, why should all apps be free? There are plenty of linux apps that are NOT free. Android also doesn't have a full catalog of free apps. Your view on the apps situation is quite skewed, and unrealistic.
  3.    #3  
    From the stand point of linux as free they should all be free. I have nearly 90 gigs of linux apps installed on my computers and have paid $0.00 for them.

In terms of the phone apps, there should be more free than not. I never said android had all free...I said the majority are free. Its total BS that I should have to pay 3 bucks for a functional twitter app
    ...there are millions of programs for linux distros and every single one is free...
    You just shot your credibility completely, every one is free? Wow, are you living completely out of touch with reality....
    There are plenty of paid applications for normal linux distro's, albeit in -most- cases you just pay for the license/support. People spend their own valueable time developing this stuff, if they decide they want some money for that we should not complain. Most of the time the prices are low and acceptabel anyway.

You want to get paid for your work (whatever it is you do) too don't you?
    My Palm History (in order): IIIe SE, m130, Tungsten|T, m505, Tungsten|T3, Zire 71, m505 (owned two different ones), Zire 72, Tungsten|C, T|X, Treo 650.
    After that I got a Apple iPhone 3G, Palm Pre (GSM), Google Nexus One.
  6.    #6  
    no...I live in a world where I use linux for personal use (not enterprise use) (which by the way is the same use I have for pre, personal not business) and when you open up package manager in kubuntu the list is, more or less, endless of free software that actually works.
    no...I live in a world where I use linux for personal use (not enterprise use) (which by the way is the same use I have for pre, personal not business) and when you open up package manager in kubuntu the list is, more or less, endless of free software that actually works.
    True, in most cases it's for enterprise use where you end up paying. And usually those prices are very high because if nobody got paid nobody would be developing it, nor would they be developing the free versions. Luckily I pay thousands of dollars for enterprise licenses. I'm all for "free" but you have to be realistic as well, I can't access the paid App Catalog myself but I'm sure over 90% is not worth paying money for, but there is also software that IS worth paying for, Classic for one.

Anyhoo, still didn't answer the question if you want to get paid for your own work.
    My Palm History (in order): IIIe SE, m130, Tungsten|T, m505, Tungsten|T3, Zire 71, m505 (owned two different ones), Zire 72, Tungsten|C, T|X, Treo 650.
    After that I got a Apple iPhone 3G, Palm Pre (GSM), Google Nexus One.
    From the stand point of linux as free they should all be free. I have nearly 90 gigs of linux apps installed on my computers and have paid $0.00 for them.

In terms of the phone apps, there should be more free than not. I never said android had all free...I said the majority are free. Its total BS that I should have to pay 3 bucks for a functional twitter app
    TweeFree is beyond functional, it does almost everything, you buy Twee for a few extra features really. Same with Twidroid on Android, theres a free one that does most everything, and a paid for one.
    I do agree with the general premise that the Pre App Store is generally overpriced when compared to other App Stores/Martket Places (Android, iTunes, Blackberry).
    Nothing is ever for free... Linux is free for the OS, however if you want support on it you've got to pay. People aren't going to just spend time developing an application and not want some kind of compensation for their work and effort they put into it. Some just want to be recognized with a pat on their back. But Money does always help.
    Until Palm actually does something with the SDK instead of adding automated methods of creating help scenes, there will never be apps with much substance. As an example Pre users will NEVER see an app like Shazam unless Palm opens up the API to the mic. With out more robust API's Pre users are just kinda stuck in $2 sports team feed app land.
    "Software should be free." _should be_

Yeesh.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyidaho View Post
    Until Palm actually does something with the SDK instead of adding automated methods of creating help scenes, there will never be apps with much substance. As an example Pre users will NEVER see an app like Shazam unless Palm opens up the API to the mic. With out more robust API's Pre users are just kinda stuck in $2 sports team feed app land.
    Dont remind me please... It sucks soo much!! But nothing else on sprint is really jumping out at me so with the pre I stay.. Blackberry is too boring.. Android doesnt really have anything stunning enough for me to switch to on sprint.. SOoo o'well.. Palm better get it going though..
    The phone itself is fantastic. I love the design and the feel. WebOS is pretty slick and I like the way everything works together. But here is the thing. This phone is supposed to be based on linux operating system (something that I love, I use linux on all my comps except one and it is just the best OS ever). Despite this linux base (the gnu liscence is stored on your pre, just open it up as a jump drive and its right there) the majority of apps are not free (they should all be free, there are millions of programs for linux distros and every single one is free).
    Two things:
    1. Though there are indeed "millions of prgrams from linux distros", the notion that "every single one is free" is simply untrue.
    2. You failed to state why all of the apps for the Pre should be free.
    A prime example of why you see "for a price" apps when they might have been "for a donation" app.

Its total BS that I should have to pay 3 bucks for a functional twitter app
    If the price of the app isn't worth the price of a Starbucks Coffee, then you should exercise the same option I exercise with Starbucks, don't buy it.

OK, every now and then I buy one for my wife (I don't drink coffee), but I think you get my point...

I suspect that maybe the programmers think it's total BS that someone expects them to write an app for free.
    I completely agree that people should get paid for their apps. It would be nice however, if there were a timed trial basis of just a couple of days for the apps. I realize that 2 or 3 bucks isnt much, but if I bought a coffee and it tasted nasty, I would take it back.

I'm currently in the situation where I am using the beta for tweed, which I love, but I think it may have a memory leak. I dont want to pay 3 dollars for another app only to find that it does the same thing.
    Last edited by DandM4life; 12/15/2009 at 08:38 PM. Reason: elaboration
  17.    #17  
    First of all, I do a lot of things for free. I of course want to get paid for my work, but then again I am not developing software for linux based distros (such as webos). If any of the paid apps were worth a single penny I would pay for it, but since none of them are in my opinion I am not interested in paying for 4 dozen city specific sport feeds. Further, all software published under the gnu license is in fact free and open source. People pay for support technicians or enterprise versions of similar software. There is plenty of support for free. Visit ubuntuforums.org and you can get infinite help, resolve nearly every single issue and have a good conversation...all for free.

My issue isn't whether or not paid apps should be allowed...of course there will (no matter how much I wish there weren't)...my issue is that I think the app store should be largely free. If there is an app that is outstanding you should donate to the author (its what I do for linux software and Warcraft addons that I like). This method ensures that authors actually take the time to make an app not suck *****. If you do a good job you deserve donations...if you suck, or just publish infinite sport feeds you should not get a penny (the person who publishes an all in one sports news center would deserve donations assuming you actually care about sports and want that app)
    If there is an app that is outstanding you should donate to the author (its what I do for linux software and Warcraft addons that I like).
    .. I have nearly 90 gigs of linux apps installed on my computers and have paid $0.00 for them. ...
    A little confusing. I take it that the 90 gigs consists of worthless software. Maybe you should delete it all then. (Or does it have to be outstanding to rate a donation)
    Calling WebOS a linux distro seems like a bit of a stretch. Otherwise I should be able to run Apache and MySQL on a Pre.
    To the OP:

Don't worry. If OR when we ever get true function enhancing apps to supplement the 3 or 4 we have right now, the pure BS apps we are drowning in will be lost in the 'app junkyard'.
    Maybe.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast