1.    #1  
    Has anyone heard if calendar search will be available on the next update? I'm aware of the app limit fix but I think calendar search is an important feature.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    Has anyone heard if calendar search will be available on the next update? I'm aware of the app limit fix but I think calendar search is an important feature.
    Haven't heard but I use google calendar so I just pull searches from there.
    FYI: My Pre is as plain vanilla as the day it came out of the box...
    Why is it an important feature? I can't think of a reason I'd use it, if I needed to know when my next dentist appointment was I'd just flip through the months.

And for the corner cases I'd probably just use google calendar like edlex.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Why is it an important feature? I can't think of a reason I'd use it, if I needed to know when my next dentist appointment was I'd just flip through the months.
    You just answered your own question. I hate flipping through months looking for something, since the appts show no text in month view, meaning you have to click on each day with an appt to see if that's it. Searching would be tons quicker.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by edlex View Post
    Haven't heard but I use google calendar so I just pull searches from there.
    I'm trying to get away from all things google. IMO Palm has an odd strategy for getting people for using webos. Everything seems geared toward 3rd party solutions for core functions. Google for calendar and contacts. Missing sync for syncing etc. I don't recall the last time a bought a device where you are pushed so hard to use 3rd party solutions. Iphone doesn't say go use google for music/calendar. Why because there's itunes/ical. Android has google. Winmo has active sync and windows which goes perfectly with office suite. You notice with all those other mobile os you can use their own core software AND you still have the option to use third party solutions. Palm your stuck with only third party. What makes everything so frustrating is Palm had a great solution to all this with garnet OS.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    I hear you but the reality is I don't know what my next phone is going to be so if I can centralize the majority of my functions then it makes it much easier to switch brands if I choose to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    I'm trying to get away from all things google. IMO Palm has an odd strategy for getting people for using webos. Everything seems geared toward 3rd party solutions for core functions. Google for calendar and contacts. Missing sync for syncing etc. I don't recall the last time a bought a device where you are pushed so hard to use 3rd party solutions. Iphone doesn't say go use google for music/calendar. Why because there's itunes/ical. Android has google. Winmo has active sync and windows which goes perfectly with office suite. You notice with all those other mobile os you can use their own core software AND you still have the option to use third party solutions. Palm your stuck with only third party. What makes everything so frustrating is Palm had a great solution to all this with garnet OS.
    First, let me say that ActiveSync is a tool of the Devil. I lost more time trying to get that crap to work than I care to count, and if I were forced back to a Windows Mobile device I'd move to Idaho and become a Luddite. That includes EAS, incidentally, which works so much better on my Pre that it amazes me sometimes. And when I say "works so much better," I actually mean it just "works."

Second, I don't look at it as Palm _forcing_ people to go to third parties, but rather providing tools allowing WebOS to work well with a variety of providers. Google just happens to have been the first, but we now have Yahoo! calendar support, for example, and I'm sure others will follow. I'd much rather have a variety of options than be tied to, say, Apple's iTunes (which I also hate with a passion).

Yes, I notice that you said "also work with third party solutions," and I recognize that the iPhone is supported by the likes of Missing Sync. But my response to that would be: a Palm-developed solution would really be just one more, and frankly I don't think Palm (or Apple, or certainly Microsoft) is necessarily so much better at providing these functions that I can't live without a solution made by them. And, ultimately, I'd rather see Palm spend their limited resources on WebOS itself than on solutions already being provided by third parties.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  8. kmk
    I for one can't go to the Pre until it searches calendar. Per my profession, I get ask when I have visited a certain location (within the past 10+ years.... yes all on my Treo). I enter all info a specific way because I know I have to have that searched answer..... without having to go to a laptop. Just want what we had.
    Homebrew has a "Google Calendar" search program that search's your calendar for key words.

It works pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Second, I don't look at it as Palm _forcing_ people to go to third parties, but rather providing tools allowing WebOS to work well with a variety of providers. Google just happens to have been the first, but we now have Yahoo! calendar support, for example, and I'm sure others will follow. I'd much rather have a variety of options than be tied to, say, Apple's iTunes (which I also hate with a passion).

Yes, I notice that you said "also work with third party solutions," and I recognize that the iPhone is supported by the likes of Missing Sync. But my response to that would be: a Palm-developed solution would really be just one more, and frankly I don't think Palm (or Apple, or certainly Microsoft) is necessarily so much better at providing these functions that I can't live without a solution made by them. And, ultimately, I'd rather see Palm spend their limited resources on WebOS itself than on solutions already being provided by third parties.
    I couldn't agree more. I think it's also important to note (and I've said this before) that Palm's original PalmOS had no option for syncing to anything except their own desktop software. The solutions that we were all used to were introduced by third party developers, and eventually licensed by Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbrad425 View Post
    Homebrew has a "Google Calendar" search program that search's your calendar for key words.

It works pretty good.
    +1 on this. It works quite well.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    General note re: offline searching / non-google searching: take a look at this forum post. Not perfect, but, certainly helps ease the calendar search pain:

http://forums.precentral.net/general...available.html