1.    #1  
    Palm upgraded to Buy at MKM Partners; tgt raised to $20 MKM Partners upgrades PALM to Buy from Neutral and raises their tgt to $20 from $11 because they believe that many of the risks they saw to the stock have subsided. First, the firm is much more confident about Palm's chances to sell through Verizon and believe a Verizon relationship would mitigate the uncertainty of an AT&T relationship. Second, Europe is shaping up better than the firm had anticipated, as Android is failing to get sufficient traction, and the Palm Pre is outselling key HTC and Motorola models in major markets like the U.K. Third, Amazon and Wal-Mart are strongly supporting the Pre and Pixi, vindicating Palm's strategy of targeting the mass market, rather than tech enthusiasts. Finally, the firm expects Palm to beat November expectations and believe that a likely February quarter miss poses limited downside risk to the stock because investors are focused on CY2010 and new carrier deals instead.

Market Report -- In Play (PALM): Briefing.com Business News - MSN Money
    Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre
    This is some encouraging stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by beachboy View Post
    Second, Europe is shaping up better than the firm had anticipated, as Android is failing to get sufficient traction, and the Palm Pre is outselling key HTC and Motorola models in major markets like the U.K.
    Really? Palm has not released any sales figures for any WebOS device so how can they know if the Pre is outselling anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Really? Palm has not released any sales figures for any WebOS device so how can they know if the Pre is outselling anything?
    They must be getting their info from somewhere. There is no reason for them to be biased towards Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    There is no reason for them to be biased towards Palm.
    Boy that's for sure!
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    They must be getting their info from somewhere. There is no reason for them to be biased towards Palm.
    You must be subscribing to the notion that if it is in print and on the internet, it must be true. Sorry, but analysts pull statistics out of their **** all the time. They get especially silly when talking about the iPhone. You should be flattered that the Pre has been targeted by a BS analyst. Until they come up with actual numbers, or a credible source, then they are breaking news that even Palm hasn't broken. I call BS.
  7.    #7  
    I am glad to read this, if this was a recent Al Gore quote I would worry. Have been seeing some negative speculation here about the future of Palm, thought since I still have 18 months left on my Pre this is good news. They must get their news from somewhere and it seems to be reliable. I hope!
    Have been seeing some negative speculation here about the future of Palm, thought since I still have 18 months left on my Pre this is good news. They must get their news from somewhere and it seems to be reliable. I hope!
    I hate to beat a dead horse, but why do you think this is credible news? I understand why you hope it is, but why do you think it is? Absolutely no sales figures have been released by Palm for the Pre.

If I were to say that the Pre is doing much worse in sales than the Instinct, you would rightfully call BS and ask me for a source. There is reason to believe that the sales of the Pre are not very good compared to other phones. When a person makes a definitive statement about the Pres sales, I, and everyone else, should be calling for verifying data. This article is not good news, it is not any kind of news. It is just fluff, devoid of any verifiable facts.
    One thing I will add although it is one persons opinion. I was in a uk phone shop, phones4u, and speaking to staff there, they say the company is selling more and more of the pre. Although nothing near the bb & iPhone level, they think the pre is going to get ever better and more popular. Let's hope so.
  10.    #10  
    If the report was quoting Bad news would your comments be different? I don't have any idea if true or not, don't kill the messenger. I never said it was credible, just posted it with a link and said in another post I hoped it was true. GEEEEZZZ!

I hate to beat a dead horse, but why do you think this is credible news? I understand why you hope it is, but why do you think it is? Absolutely no sales figures have been released by Palm for the Pre.

If I were to say that the Pre is doing much worse in sales than the Instinct, you would rightfully call BS and ask me for a source. There is reason to believe that the sales of the Pre are not very good compared to other phones. When a person makes a definitive statement about the Pres sales, I, and everyone else, should be calling for verifying data. This article is not good news, it is not any kind of news. It is just fluff, devoid of any verifiable facts.
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    You must be subscribing to the notion that if it is in print and on the internet, it must be true. Sorry, but analysts pull statistics out of their **** all the time. They get especially silly when talking about the iPhone. You should be flattered that the Pre has been targeted by a BS analyst. Until they come up with actual numbers, or a credible source, then they are breaking news that even Palm hasn't broken. I call BS.
    Your post is spot on.
    Analysts do pull numbers from thin air ( most times)
    Here is my issue.

PALM will not release sales numbers on each device.
    If we knew these numbers ahead of the Quarterly report , I would buy PALM stock.
    Its a no brainer.

Most of the time these analyst guys tap into their channels (the manufactures in china, the distribution folks or someone at SPRINT) to get a feel for the numbers.
    I don't believe the analysts totally and I don't ignore them all together.
    If the report was quoting Bad news would your comments be different? I don't have any idea if true or not, don't kill the messenger. I never said it was credible, just posted it with a link and said in another post I hoped it was true. GEEEEZZZ!
    I wasn't coming down on you for posting it. I was initially responding to the article, itself. As a "news" piece, I find it neither credible nor believable.

To answer your question, if it was a negative piece, I would have found it no less credible as news, but more believable. The reason is because we know the Pre has had many problems from HW to marketing. It is substantially behind in the app ecosystem which has become an important part of the smartphone game.

The only sales numbers that Palm did release did not break out the Pre, specifically, and was not particularly good. There are reasons to believe that the Pre is not selling well, though there are no facts to substantiate it. There are no reasons to believe that the Pre is outselling its competitors. I will believe that when I hear sales figures from Palm that can be compared to competitors sales figures.