Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. diddly4's Avatar
    Posts
    158 Posts
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
       #1  
    I think mine is "bricked!" Here is what happened...I became a Hombrewer sometime in late August. I have installed Homebrew apps and patches through WebOS QI and Preware. About a month ago I was attempting to uninstall Preware and package manager service through WOS QI and my phone went off line and would not come back on. So I ended up using Web OS Doctor and reset my phone. Everything worked but like a lot of people none of my contacts synced back through Palm's profile, but that is a different topic.

    So, since then I have added back my contacts and reinstalled Preware and have added various Homebrew Apps and patches. I was having some problems since 1.3.1 with "too many cards" error happening way too frequently and the phone just shutting off at various times. I was also having problems with usind drPodder and not being able to down load new podcasts so I added the "cleanupeventlistener.patch". Then on my way to work yesterday I was listening to drPodder and I was replying to a text message when my phone just shutoff and hasn't come back on.

    Last night I attempted to WebOS doctor my phone about 5 times and I keep getting errors. I had to force the USB connection by holding up the volume key when I plugged the usb cord in. I have downloaded the doctor several times from Palm and deleted it but I still keep having problems. The doctor will start and go from anywhere between 10%-50% completion when I will get a message saying there was an error and the doctor could not complete, please contact Palm for support. Sometimes it will say the phone has disconnected and stops the doctor. I am using the USB cord that came with the phone, my battery is almost 100% charged when I start. What gives?

    Anyone have any ideas??? Help!!!
  2. #2  
    I have heard that in very rare cases, you may have to hold the volume up key for the entire duration of the Doctor.

    I don't know if this will work for you, but it's something to try perhaps.
  3. #3  
    Run the doctor in novacom mode. Take the battery out and then hold down the up volume button. Then while holding the up volume button down plug the USB cable into the PC and then phone, should see the big usb icon on the screen. Let go of the up volume button and run the doctor this time. You have to run the doctor this way if your patchings hose up the device.
  4. rogerv.88's Avatar
    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    #4  
    read below
  5. rogerv.88's Avatar
    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by diddly4 View Post
    I had to force the USB connection by holding up the volume key when I plugged the usb cord in. I have downloaded the doctor several times from Palm and deleted it but I still keep having problems. The doctor will start and go from anywhere between 10%-50% completion when I will get a message saying there was an error and the doctor could not complete, please contact Palm for support.
    he is able to run the doctor but once it gets to a point (10-50% completion) it gives him errors. To me, it seems like the doctor will not be able to fix the phone. Therefore, we could very well have a bricked phone.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by diddly4 View Post
    ...
    I have downloaded the doctor several times from Palm and deleted it but I still keep having problems. The doctor will start and go from anywhere between 10%-50% completion when I will get a message saying there was an error and the doctor could not complete, please contact Palm for support...
    Why did you download it several times, did you suspect a bad download? If so, was that suspicion just a general "maybe it's that", or did something happen to make you think it was a bad download? Did whatever happen get resolved?

    Actually, let's just cut to the chase on that one. What's the size of the WebOS Doctor jar file you downloaded?
  7. #7  
    I had something like this but I had a bad usb cord. It would connect and a little while later diconect from computer but still charged the phone. Since the phone was still charging I didn't figure it out for awhile. It would also force my phone to shut off after awhile. Try a different cable
  8. chino0131's Avatar
    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerv.88 View Post
    he is able to run the doctor but once it gets to a point (10-50% completion) it gives him errors. To me, it seems like the doctor will not be able to fix the phone. Therefore, we could very well have a bricked phone.
    I had this same problem described above. The webos dr would get to 10% and stop completely. It did it about 8 times. I did a battery pull, reinserted, and then had to hold the volume key down until the percentage would move forward normally. I would keep trying...hope it helps.
  9. #9  
    Honestly, this probably is going to sound stupid but I say try again. I have had it fail a couple times before and I just kept retrying until it worked.
  10. diddly4's Avatar
    Posts
    158 Posts
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
       #10  
    I deleted and re-downloaded the doctor just hoping that it would fix the problem. I have downloaded the WebOS Doctor from the link provided in the WebOS Quick Install post and directly through Palm's website with the same results.

    I am forcing the phone to connect through the USB cord by hold the volume key up. The USB symbol appears and WebOS Doctor begins. Then a few seconds go by and the USB symbol disappears and the Palm logo just flashes on and off.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by diddly4 View Post
    I deleted and re-downloaded the doctor just hoping that it would fix the problem. I have downloaded the WebOS Doctor from the link provided in the WebOS Quick Install post and directly through Palm's website with the same results.

    I am forcing the phone to connect through the USB cord by hold the volume key up. The USB symbol appears and WebOS Doctor begins. Then a few seconds go by and the USB symbol disappears and the Palm logo just flashes on and off.
    It sounds like the WebOSDoctor is not actually running or something. Try waiting until 10% complete to stop holding down the volume up button. You should see on the screen a big arrow pointing down to an integrated circuit.

    Also, have you done any advanced editing of your phone or just used patches and quick install? And to repeat, what is the size of the .jar file you downloaded?
  12. diddly4's Avatar
    Posts
    158 Posts
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
       #12  
    Ok, I was still having trouble so I removed my Sedio 2600 mAh battery and put back in the factory default battery and the phone turned on. It was only running 1.2.1 for some reason. That is strange, somehow my Pre reverted back to WebOS 1.2.1, I don't know if that means one of my attempts at doctering the phone worked somehow. The size of the file I had for the doctor was: 204,935kb.

    I have since updated the Pre back to 1.3.1, did a full reset, signed into my Palm profile, everything synced this time!!! I will try putting the Seidio 2600mAh battery in and hope it still works, I don't know why it was giving me problems when I was attempting to doctor the phone.

    Thanks for everyone's help.
  13. #13  
    At least we now know that it wasn't actually bricked
  14. #14  
    I updated your title to show that webOS Doctor fixed it.

    These steps are documented with a number of screen shots in the:

    How To: Restore a Seriously Ill Pre

    - Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/15/2009 at 05:31 PM.
  15. diddly4's Avatar
    Posts
    158 Posts
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
       #15  
    Thanks for the Title update. I did try putting back my Seidio 2600 mAh battery back in and the phone would not turn on. It appears something very bad happened to the battery when I was using it yesterday. My phone was 85% charge when the phone shut off. Anyone else have problems with their Seidio 2600 mAh battery.
  16. #16  
    I was listening to Palm conference call and I forgot who. But, he said that they built the OS so it can never be bricked. So to this day supposely a Palm Pre has never been bricked?
    Last edited by runagun; 12/16/2009 at 03:05 AM. Reason: I have a big slong! :D
  17. #17  
    I have renamed dozens of "I bricked my Pre" threads to reflect that they had not bricked their Pre.

    In each case since, they just did not do a search before posting. Once they read the instructions, they were able to fix their Pre's.

    - Craig
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by runagun View Post
    I was listening to Palm conference call and I forgot who. But, he said that they built the OS so it can never be bricked. So to this day supposely a Palm Pre has never been bricked?
    The Pre has not been bricked but it theoretically could if you use QPST to modify deeper functionality of the phone.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by diddly4 View Post
    Ok, I was still having trouble so I removed my Sedio 2600 mAh battery and put back in the factory default battery and the phone turned on. It was only running 1.2.1 for some reason. That is strange, somehow my Pre reverted back to WebOS 1.2.1, I don't know if that means one of my attempts at doctering the phone worked somehow. The size of the file I had for the doctor was: 204,935kb.

    I have since updated the Pre back to 1.3.1, did a full reset, signed into my Palm profile, everything synced this time!!! I will try putting the Seidio 2600mAh battery in and hope it still works, I don't know why it was giving me problems when I was attempting to doctor the phone.

    Thanks for everyone's help.
    I'm curious to know if your phone is still working ok with the different battery ?
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by diddly4
    Thanks for the Title update. I did try putting back my Seidio 2600 mAh battery back in and the phone would not turn on. It appears something very bad happened to the battery when I was using it yesterday. My phone was 85% charge when the phone shut off. Anyone else have problems with their Seidio 2600 mAh battery.
    Hi diddly4,

    We apologize for the problem you are having and won't know for sure what the problem is until we do a troubleshoot with you.

    Please PM us and we will see what steps we need to take to get this resolved for you.

    Regards,

    Seidio

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions