1.    #1  
    just wondering if anybody brought insurance with their PRE's......also did anybody buy insurance outside of 02? and if so who, any recommendations?

was thinking of getting some, just incase :S
    I bought the insurance for Sprint, it's $7 a month per phone and requires a $100 deposit. From some reports you could get the deposit waved sometimes, though I don't expect it.

Honestly, if it breaks once in the second year of ownership the max I would have to pay is $268 where it would have to be $600 otherwise, if it broke twice it would be $368 for $1200

So I found it a good deal, it's $168 more than I would've paid if nothing had gone wrong, but I guess it's worth it for piece of mind.

(Oh, all my numbers are in american dollars so what I said times 1.68 would be pounds for a price comparison)
    Mine is with my bank account (Natwest Advantage Gold)
    12.95 a month for the account (Other benefits included)
    or there is Advantage blue for 6.95 (Again other benefits included)

This is 25 excess for first claim 50 for second.
    Check with your current home contents provider - you may get lucky like I did and find that they cover a smartphone. We have our policy with the AA and the policy we have includes loss / theft / accidental damage for any phone up to 1000 in value.
    Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.
    Martin Golding
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    It's worth going with O2 (UK) until you find something better as you can cancel any time. If you do go with O2 they will replace the phone with new even if you lose it in another country. That last point is what sold it for me, though I am going to check my home contents insurance.
    I did get o2 insurance for my pre...it's 10 a month.

It's better to get insurance with O2 over home contents IMHO because the Pre is currently only available on contract through o2 and I don't really know how your contents insurer would get a new phone to you if they're not allowed simply to buy it sim free.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by manutdonline View Post

It's better to get insurance with O2 over home contents IMHO because the Pre is currently only available on contract through o2 and I don't really know how your contents insurer would get a new phone to you if they're not allowed simply to buy it sim free.
    I hadn't thought of that. I'm only paying 7-50/month from O2 though.

The contents insurer could pay the cost of O2 replacing it. Personally I've never lost / had stolen / accidentally damaged a phone *touch wood* but I'd rather not pay 120 extra p.a. for something I already have covered.

Worst case scenario - insurer could cover costs of buying out of the contract and I could revert to my HTC Magic, or pickup a new Pre / other phone with a fresh contract.
    Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.
    Martin Golding
    I've got an All Risks section on my business Insurance policy.

My Treo680 @200 was about 7 per YEAR to insure, so I added the Pre @ 500. Don't know the premium yet, but from the above you can see it's going to be heaps cheaper than the 7.50 per Month from O2
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    I pay 7.50 a month through O2
    damn, i wonder why i'm paying 10 a month!
    damn, i wonder why i'm paying 10 a month!
    Mine should be about 10 per YEAR
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
  13. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    10 a month! Crikey! May aswell get a premium bank account and get free annual travel insurance too. That sounds steep to me!