Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I bought the Pre about about a week ago and was really excited to get my hands on it. I heard great things and loved the phone when I got it. Unfortunately, the screen started to twist a little bit which was frustrating so I went in and they gave me a new one. Within a day, this second Pre isn't working anymore; the screen wont register touches. The phone boots and runs fine and the physical buttons work, but I can't touch anything.
    I'm going to go in and get another one as soon as I have the time, but all this is making me wonder if this phone is worth all the bull****. It's one of the best devices ive ever used, when it works the way its supposed to. The phone cost almost 200 dollars so I want to get at least a year and a half or more out of it, but with this particular one not even lasting a day I'm not sure what to think.
    Can anyone convince me that this phone isn't the biggest hardware failure since Xbox 360?
    Well, hardware-wise, it is better than two paper cups and a string. The cups could get torn, ripped or be crumbled into a ball. The Pre is built better than that.
  3.    #3  
    Not sure what to do with that
    Hardware is lacking and somewhat disappointing. It's the luck of the draw on the HW side.

Give me Droid-like hw (but with screen clarity that the Pre currently has cuz the Droid screen is only impressive in size, not clarity) and WebOS aka Pre2 and damn!!!! Now you're speaking my language!
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Take it back and get different phone, IMO. You're within your 30 days.
  6.    #6  
    Yea i'm gonna go back, but in the long run i'm wondering how this thing is going to hold up. The Palm warranty says they promise it will be free of defects for a year or they'll give you a new one, but it's just frustrating is all. Does anyone here still have the Pre they originally bought and have not had problems with it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra585 View Post
    Yea i'm gonna go back, but in the long run i'm wondering how this thing is going to hold up. The Palm warranty says they promise it will be free of defects for a year or they'll give you a new one, but it's just frustrating is all. Does anyone here still have the Pre they originally bought and have not had problems with it?
    I went through 7 of them before I finally ditched the Pre bandwagon and got a different phone. Don't make my mistake, the hardware is the weakest link, you're within your 30 days, take advantage of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra585 View Post
    Some have had problems. Some have not. You won't get your answer here.

I had problems. Someone else will respond their Pre is the best.

It's up to you. But Sprint will usually work with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Some have had problems. Some have not. You won't get your answer here.

I had problems. Someone else will respond their Pre is the best.

It's up to you. But Sprint will usually work with you.
    Hindsight has told me, it's always worth it to take advantage of the 30 day window. If you decide you don't like a phone, or have issues, try another, if you don't like that one, try another, run out of options, go back to the one you liked best. Use your rights as a consumer!
    Honesty I wouldnt hang out in this forum looking for advice from people on hardware. You either get a bunch of trolls saying they went through 20 phones and they all suck or you get people who have no issues and dont bother to respond. Personnally i have had the same phone from release day (june 6th) with none of the issues people go on about. I even dropped it twice and i made a small crack on the side but thats my fault after it hit the road without a case on it (i hate cases).

Go back and get a new one or get a different phone.
    I think a dual slider design like the Samsung Exclaim would have been better. My daughter has one and it seems quite sturdy.
    jim
    If you don't mind giving up WiFi—and with Sprint's generally great network, it's not a big deal—try a Pixi. It's a very solid device; plus, it's slim and has a great keyboard. To me the only real disadvantage is the smaller screen, which I usually don't mind. I wouldn't trade it for a Pre.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jniemasik View Post
    If you don't mind giving up WiFi—and with Sprint's generally great network, it's not a big deal—try a Pixi. It's a very solid device; plus, it's slim and has a great keyboard. To me the only real disadvantage is the smaller screen, which I usually don't mind. I wouldn't trade it for a Pre.
    I agree here, if anyone doesn't mind for that matter - I say go for it.
  14.    #14  
    i was actually considering the pixi when i bought this phone, but i heard its terribly slow. the store model was actually pretty slow too when i tried it. if it wasnt for that i probably would have picked it up instead
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Some have had problems. Some have not.
    Wrong. I think it would be more accurate to say: "Some have had problems. Most have not."

Perhaps we should look at why most people are here on this forum. There are those die hards who have been here since day 1 and been excited about the Pre all along. Some are others who purchased the Pre and came here because they found it while searching on the web. Others had a problem with their Pre and found this as a resource in trying to help/diagnose their issue.

I personally know 8 people (myself included, my immediate and extended family) who are on their first Pre and still loving it!!

Saying "some do, some don't" seems to imply a 50/50 mix which I don't think can be true (granted not based on any numerical evidence, but I think if any piece of hardware has a 50% failure rate it would be long dead after 6 months).
    Well its up to you man... try out a different phone if you want you are within your thirty days... If not go for another pre. I have had mine for two weeks and have not had an issue yet. And I love the accessibility to home brew apps, I have not had a phone like this in the past. I shall be sticking to this phone for atleast a year.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Saying "some do, some don't" seems to imply a 50/50 mix which I don't think can be true (granted not based on any numerical evidence, but I think if any piece of hardware has a 50% failure rate it would be long dead after 6 months).
    Off topic, but i think the Xbox 360 has a failure rate of like 60% since launch. Im personally on my third and my roomates crapped out not too long ago. I guess I just don't get lucky with these devices lol
    Quote Originally Posted by FesterTreo View Post
    You either get a bunch of trolls saying they went through 20 phones and they all suck or you get people who have no issues and dont bother to respond.
    Really? So based on that analysis, the Pre does not have any real HW issues. All of the people who claim to have gone through multiple units due to HW issues are nothing but lying trolls. Please tell me you didn't mean that.

To the original poster, if you have already gone through a few units within your first 30 days, that is probably not a good sign. You might try something with fewer complaints. You can always come back to the Pre if Palm gets their act together in the next revision.

I'm not always easy on the people on this board, but I have been around here and other places to know that the Pre has a serious build quality problem. No one claimed that 100% of the units suffered. Continually swapping out phones seems a little like playing the lottery. How are you at games of chance?
    I've had my Pre since July, and it has held up great. I wouldn't say that I baby it, but I'm fairly careful. No case, shield cover on the front and touchstone back. It has been dropped twice and has a little wiggle, but not bothersome. I have a co-worker that also has a Pre and it has been fine as well.
    I think I have the record so far (not a good thing). All not my fault as they were due to hardware issues and all replaced free by sprint. An array of dead pixels, light leakage, phone being bent, proximity sensor failing, and probably some others, has led me to be on my 9th Pre. As of right now I have 2 or 3 dead pixels that I am dealing with just fine. If more start to show up (happened on 2 of my replacements) I will be taking it back in to get my 10th.

However, phones 3-9 were all "refurbished". In my opinion, someone in the refurbishing department needs to get fired. I think about 3 of my Pre's came delivered to the sprint store worse off than my current Pre. Since you are in your 30 days, you should not settle for a refurbished phone and should get a new one. I have heard rumors that the newer ones are built slightly better but have not seen a new one for myself.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast