Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 63
  1. jliu07's Avatar
    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    I think I have the record so far (not a good thing). All not my fault as they were due to hardware issues and all replaced free by sprint. An array of dead pixels, light leakage, phone being bent, proximity sensor failing, and probably some others, has led me to be on my 9th Pre. As of right now I have 2 or 3 dead pixels that I am dealing with just fine. If more start to show up (happened on 2 of my replacements) I will be taking it back in to get my 10th.

    However, phones 3-9 were all "refurbished". In my opinion, someone in the refurbishing department needs to get fired. I think about 3 of my Pre's came delivered to the sprint store worse off than my current Pre. Since you are in your 30 days, you should not settle for a refurbished phone and should get a new one. I have heard rumors that the newer ones are built slightly better but have not seen a new one for myself.
    They are built better, I have one of the newer ones, however the slider still has it's oreo effect when it is closed, when it's opened it doesn't do that.


    I bought the Pre about about a week ago and was really excited to get my hands on it. I heard great things and loved the phone when I got it. Unfortunately, the screen started to twist a little bit which was frustrating so I went in and they gave me a new one. Within a day, this second Pre isn't working anymore; the screen wont register touches. The phone boots and runs fine and the physical buttons work, but I can't touch anything.
    I'm going to go in and get another one as soon as I have the time, but all this is making me wonder if this phone is worth all the bull****. It's one of the best devices ive ever used, when it works the way its supposed to. The phone cost almost 200 dollars so I want to get at least a year and a half or more out of it, but with this particular one not even lasting a day I'm not sure what to think.
    Can anyone convince me that this phone isn't the biggest hardware failure since Xbox 360?
    I am kind of in the same situation as you, I love my Pre but I think I am going to trade it in for a Hero or Moment. WebOS is amazing however the hardware is lacking. I would have love to go for the Pixi but it doesn't have Wi-Fi (Verizon's version will have Wi-Fi, *** Sprint?). Every "good" phone offered by Sprint has it's fair share of problems.

    But chances are I am going for the Hero or Tour, I played around with both and they felt good. However the Tour doesn't have Wi-Fi which is a big minus for me. The Moment is just too big and the battery is worst than Pres, it's practically a Moto Droid without 2.0.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    I think I have the record so far (not a good thing). All not my fault as they were due to hardware issues and all replaced free by sprint. An array of dead pixels, light leakage, phone being bent, proximity sensor failing, and probably some others, has led me to be on my 9th Pre. As of right now I have 2 or 3 dead pixels that I am dealing with just fine. If more start to show up (happened on 2 of my replacements) I will be taking it back in to get my 10th.

    However, phones 3-9 were all "refurbished". In my opinion, someone in the refurbishing department needs to get fired. I think about 3 of my Pre's came delivered to the sprint store worse off than my current Pre. Since you are in your 30 days, you should not settle for a refurbished phone and should get a new one. I have heard rumors that the newer ones are built slightly better but have not seen a new one for myself.
    Damn, I really hope i don't end up needing to trade in my phone 10 times. I'll trade it in as many times as i need to and i'm definitely never accepting a refurbished phone. I paid 180 dollars for a BRAND NEW Pre that works the way its supposed to so if they think they're gonna give me a used one that they fixed up they have another thing coming. The people at those places will do everything they can to make a buck and if you don't stand up for your rights as a consumer, no one else will. My advice to you, don't settle for a phone that has dead pixels or any problems. You paid for it so go in there, tell them you want a new phone that works and hold your ground. A little negotiating and assertiveness goes a long way. I used to have the Instinct before this phone. I had it for a year then one day I dropped it bad and the screen stopped working. I went in and they gave me a brand new phone. This was a year after I bought it and the problem was totally my fault. Just goes to show you.
  3. Kedar's Avatar
    Posts
    994 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    #23  
    When you have one problem, you are usually stuck with many more.
    The refurbished phones you get aren't that great, imo.

    I'm on my 3rd one and this one's the charm. The second one suffered more than the first one I got.

    I wouldn't go more than 3 times. If it gets to be that much, I would jump ship to Hero or something else on Sprint.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra585 View Post
    Damn, I really hope i don't end up needing to trade in my phone 10 times. I'll trade it in as many times as i need to and i'm definitely never accepting a refurbished phone. I paid 180 dollars for a BRAND NEW Pre that works the way its supposed to so if they think they're gonna give me a used one that they fixed up they have another thing coming. The people at those places will do everything they can to make a buck and if you don't stand up for your rights as a consumer, no one else will. My advice to you, don't settle for a phone that has dead pixels or any problems. You paid for it so go in there, tell them you want a new phone that works and hold your ground. A little negotiating and assertiveness goes a long way. I used to have the Instinct before this phone. I had it for a year then one day I dropped it bad and the screen stopped working. I went in and they gave me a brand new phone. This was a year after I bought it and the problem was totally my fault. Just goes to show you.
    Just goes to show you what? That if you use "a little negotiating and assertiveness" you can get a free phone you're not entitled to?

    By all means, the original poster should make sure they get a properly working phone, but you totally undermined your soap box speech about "consumer rights" when you tell a story about demanding a phone because you broke yours outside of the warranty period.

    As somebody who used to work in retail, people who abuse the system like this are exactly why people who have real problems get greeted with skepticism when they ask for a replacement.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by idontwan2know View Post
    Just goes to show you what? That if you use "a little negotiating and assertiveness" you can get a free phone you're not entitled to?

    By all means, the original poster should make sure they get a properly working phone, but you totally undermined your soap box speech about "consumer rights" when you tell a story about demanding a phone because you broke yours outside of the warranty period.

    As somebody who used to work in retail, people who abuse the system like this are exactly why people who have real problems get greeted with skepticism when they ask for a replacement.
    FYI, I am the original poster...

    And about the Instinct, I didn't even ask them to give me a new one. They were gonna repair it but didn't have the part so after discussing it they decided it'd be better for everyone if they just gave me an Instinct that was sitting in the back (it was the original model so no ones going to buy it anyway).

    All I'm saying to the other guy is that a refurbished phone is unacceptable. If I pay full price and get a broken phone, shouldn't I get a bran new one? Not one that was broken then fixed? That's not my fault and it's Palm's problem. That's the way I see it and I'm not gonna take any refurbished phones if I paid full price.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra585 View Post
    ...
    All I'm saying to the other guy is that a refurbished phone is unacceptable. If I pay full price and get a broken phone, shouldn't I get a bran new one? Not one that was broken then fixed? That's not my fault and it's Palm's problem. That's the way I see it and I'm not gonna take any refurbished phones if I paid full price.
    I see your point but it is completely within their policy to give a refurbished phone after 30 days. Plus, I don't really care if it is refurbished as long as it works and doesn't have any problems. If there are no problems that I notice, why do I care if it was refurbished? Ultimately, their policy clearly states that you will get a refurbished phone after 30 days and I saw no reason to fight it since they gave them all free of charge anyway.
  7. #27  
    3 launch day pre's, 1 power button failure, replacement works great, the other 2 launch day pre's are still performing well. Luck of the draw I guess. Really happy with the phones and webOS is awesome.
  8. #28  
    still 3 pre's, 2 at launch and 1 a month and a half later. My son had to have his replaced because he dropped it about 100 times, but all 3 work great except my youngest ripped off my USB cover (no biggie).

    But all 3 of us love our pre's, in fact we're trying to get 2 more but have to wait a year til their contracts are up.
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    3 launch day pre's, 1 power button failure, replacement works great, the other 2 launch day pre's are still performing well. Luck of the draw I guess. Really happy with the phones and webOS is awesome.
    So what you're saying is that in your case, 33% of Pres failed and had to be replaced. How is that good? I mean, you seem to be using this example as a success story. You consider yourself lucky. Imagine what the unlucky are going through.
  10. slope72's Avatar
    Posts
    48 Posts
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    #30  
    I am, unfortunately, on my third within the first week of owning the phone. The first had a terribly Oreo twisting problem. The second had a bad keyboard. Now my third is also twisty and wobbly and I'm taking it back to Best Buy tonight. I am undecided as to whether I'm going to try a FOURTH Pre or switch to the Hero. I hate Palm for screwing up the hardware... the WebOS platform is so nice I'm almost willing to keep dealing with these hardware issues. Almost.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra585 View Post
    Yea i'm gonna go back, but in the long run i'm wondering how this thing is going to hold up. The Palm warranty says they promise it will be free of defects for a year or they'll give you a new one, but it's just frustrating is all. Does anyone here still have the Pre they originally bought and have not had problems with it?

    Yeah Ive had mine since lauch and had zero issues. Well thats not true. I do have a slight oreo effect but thats sort of to be expected with a slider. I've also dropped my Pre >10 times all of them being on hardwood or concrete and all from at least waist height and the only damage is a few scratches on the plastic.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Siteoner View Post
    Yeah Ive had mine since lauch and had zero issues. Well thats not true. I do have a slight oreo effect but thats sort of to be expected with a slider. I've also dropped my Pre >10 times all of them being on hardwood or concrete and all from at least waist height and the only damage is a few scratches on the plastic.
    Not true, go try the Droid. Proper engineering can make sliders that are completely stiff.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Not true, go try the Droid. Proper engineering can make sliders that are completely stiff.
    We get it, you got a droid. Now goto droidcentral and talk it up. I think you are done here.
  14. #34  
    Seriously Elysian893, nobody wants to listen to your Droid posts anymore. Go somewhere else.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by saluki42 View Post
    We get it, you got a droid. Now goto droidcentral and talk it up. I think you are done here.
    That's rude. Does that mean you concede his point? He seems to be saying that the Pre is poorly engineered. You seem to be mad at him for saying it, but not refuting it. In this type of thread, his post seems relevant to the discussion. If there are problems with the Pre due to shoddy engineering, that is worth discussing.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by saluki42 View Post
    We get it, you got a droid. Now goto droidcentral and talk it up. I think you are done here.
    LMAO!
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    That's rude. Does that mean you concede his point? He seems to be saying that the Pre is poorly engineered. You seem to be mad at him for saying it, but not refuting it. In this type of thread, his post seems relevant to the discussion. If there are problems with the Pre due to shoddy engineering, that is worth discussing.

    Yes it is. The Pre engineering should be discussed in this thread. The Droid, on the other hand, has nothing to do with it.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by saluki42 View Post
    Yes it is. The Pre engineering should be discussed in this thread. The Droid, on the other hand, has nothing to do with it.
    In this case, I disagree. A statement was made that the Pres slider was flaky because all sliders were flaky. The post simply challenged that assumption by pointing out another slider phone that was well built and didn't have the problems of the Pre. That seems to be very relevant.
  19. slope72's Avatar
    Posts
    48 Posts
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    #39  
    I am curious about this... this is the first slider I've ever owned, so I'm not sure if some wobbling is par for the course. I have tried out a friend's Droid as well as a Moment and neither one seemed at all wobbly. Of course, they slide in landscape instead of portrait, so I guess they're inherently more stable.
  20. glenada's Avatar
    Posts
    777 Posts
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    #40  
    I've had my Pre for a week now and my hardware is fine. I mistakenly slipped and dropped it on a hard wood floor -- to my horror -- and no scratches or cracks! I replaced the back cover with a Touchstone cover, and to me this makes a big difference as far as handling and one-hand use.
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions