Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Hello All,

I was planning to buy Palm pre unlocked version from Germany.
    But I had few question regarding my purchase.

1. Will the phone work in India.
    2. Can I activate the phone from India.
    3. Can I create my profile on Palm Cloud
    4. Will 3G and GRPS work here.

I have heard that you have to first create your profile in Palm cloud network for the phone to start working is that true.
    In the cloud it connect all mine contact from google,facebook and yahoo is that correct.
    And during this process it checks whether I am from one of its supporting network or not.
    So I think without creating an account it will not let me start the phone is that correct.
    So can some one help me out with this.
    I will be using Vodafone India SIM card here,so will pre work flawlessly on it.
    Thanks in advance.
    if it works for u, let me know!
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    What is your Network Operator name so i can check the supported Network Operator in Palm Network database, please list all Network operator availabe in India and i will let you know.

I use Palm Pre German QWERTZ
    I remember reading that Vodafone and Airtel are already listed in the Network Database - its a matter of just trying it out..

@KAPS: you really won't be able to use 3G currently because I'm certain that Palm does not support BSNL and MTNL as of now (unless you can manually add carrier settings) - and they're the only ones who're offering 3G plans.
    Where can one buy a 'Pre' to use in India? Is it available in Singapore/Hong Kong? What is the cheapest solution for a working 'Pre' in India and how much?

Thanks.

PS: I know the 'Pre' has not yet been officially launched anywhere in Asia.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    hi i live in kuwait and in 4 days im recieving my palm pre...
    my service provider is Zain KW
    does anybody have any info about it ?
    i ordered the german unlocked pre..so what version of webos is it ?
    and if (and i really wish that it does) works here in my country will updating in the future for another version of web os be a problem !?
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aao4473 View Post
    hi i live in kuwait and in 4 days im recieving my palm pre...
    my service provider is Zain KW
    does anybody have any info about it ?
    i ordered the german unlocked pre..so what version of webos is it ?
    and if (and i really wish that it does) works here in my country will updating in the future for another version of web os be a problem !?
    I live in Jordan and i have a Palm Pre German QWERTZ for 3 months ago, It works on Zain JO very well with webOS 1.1.3 and 1.3.1 ...
    Also works on Orange JO but only WebOS 1.1.3 and having problem to connect to Data and MMS with WebOS 1.3.1 ..
    Also works fine with Umniah ..

no body knows if we will face problems to connect to Data or MMS on next WebOS versions, coz that happened with me when WebOS 1.3.1 released the Data and MMS stopped working on Orange JO for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by KAPS View Post
    Hello All,

I was planning to buy Palm pre unlocked version from Germany.
    But I had few question regarding my purchase.

1. Will the phone work in India.
    2. Can I activate the phone from India.
    3. Can I create my profile on Palm Cloud
    4. Will 3G and GRPS work here.

I have heard that you have to first create your profile in Palm cloud network for the phone to start working is that true.
    In the cloud it connect all mine contact from google,facebook and yahoo is that correct.
    And during this process it checks whether I am from one of its supporting network or not.
    So I think without creating an account it will not let me start the phone is that correct.
    So can some one help me out with this.
    I will be using Vodafone India SIM card here,so will pre work flawlessly on it.
    Thanks in advance.
    I will be visiting india this weekend, i am planning to use palm pre with Airtel SIM but i can try using my friends vodafone and report back...
    Has anyone managed to get the German Pre going in India? I am waiting to get one, but wondering whether it will work with Idea Cellular.
    Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Treo 180 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Palm Pre (busted) -> iPhone4 (awesome) + iPad
    good news for all the users waiting to get a palm pre in india... Just put in my airtel in the german O2 unlocked pre and viola, its works great even on edge network... Posting this on my pre from mumbai airport...
    Hi I just bought Palm Pre from Ebay. Its a German Unlocked version. Its working fine. But people should consider following issues if you are using Indian SIM:

1. App Catalog will not work. That means no 3rd party application can be installed on Pre. In Pre one can install applications only through APP CATALOG. Biggest drawback.

2. If you are using for Email then pl note following:

a) You cannot auto BCC email which you are sending to others. If you want copy then you have to physically add your email so that it will be re-forwarded to you.
    b) There is not KB limit to email which arrive to your mail ID. If you are using DATA Plan from service provider which allows you to use say 500mb in a month and if you regularly gets big email with large MB attachments then the maybe your monthly MB limits will be consumed soon.

3. If you are using Palm Treo 650 or 680 earlier then its not possible to sync Palm Desktop with Palm Pre. You have to transfer all contacts / calendar events to Gmail and then sync Palm Pre to Gmail.

4. battery life is poor

5. One may get little while to get use to the phone

Conclusion: Palm Pre is excellent phone if above issues are resolved

from
    Palm Lover

Umang V
    Mumbai
    India
    Hi i bought a US unlocked palm pre from integrontech.com. however have not been able to create profile. i'm using vodafone service . pls help as i've been struggling with this for the last one month....
    Global Posts
    498 Global Posts
    with just a little tweak and adding carrrier data (it is somewher in this forum) I am sure it will work. I am using pre plus in Nepal by adding my carrier data.
    I don't think the problem 'mmini08' is facing, has anything to do with carrier data. The Pre works fine with Vodafone straight out of the box. Although, you do need to have the 'Vodafone Mobile Connect' plan as the 'Vodafone Live' plan does not work.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Hi Sanjay,

would really appreciate it if you can let me know how to get this thing started. I'm on the verge of sending the phone back. to start off, the phone takes a long time to start, then the profile creation page comes. after i enter the details aftr 2-3min it says profile cannot be created. i went to a palm dealer in Delhi and he said tht the WEBOS needs to be reinstalled for which he'll be charging arnd 4k. please let me know how to crack this thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmini08 View Post
    Hi i bought a US unlocked palm pre from integrontech.com. however have not been able to create profile. i'm using vodafone service . pls help as i've been struggling with this for the last one month....

would really appreciate it if you can let me know how to get this thing started. I'm on the verge of sending the phone back. to start off, the phone takes a long time to start, then the profile creation page comes. after i enter the details aftr 2-3min it says profile cannot be created. i went to a palm dealer in Delhi and he said tht the WEBOS needs to be reinstalled for which he'll be charging arnd 4k. please let me know how to crack this thing.
    Curious, why did you purchase a US GSM Pre with North American 3G comms board inside it for use in India? Wouldn't a German Unlocked Pre with an EU 3G comms board been the proper choice if you want to enjoy 3G data speeds?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Hi Sanjay,

Check your PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Curious, why did you purchase a US GSM Pre with North American 3G comms board inside it for use in India? Wouldn't a German Unlocked Pre with an EU 3G comms board been the proper choice if you want to enjoy 3G data speeds?
    Well, for one it could be that 3G is not as important simply because other than one company (govt. carrier), none of the networks here have launched 3G services. Besides that, it can also be an issue of accessibility. For example I have friends in the US and therefore sourcing from the US is much easier and practical for me. Secondly, in my case I wanted access to the US app catalog and the logistics of being able to purchase a Pre+ from Germany, get it shipped to the US for activation and then getting to India was too much of a hassle considering that there is no 3G service here anyhow. Most networks here will be launching their 3G services begining this month, which is why I am now hesistant to get the Pre 2 from the US. But even then, considering the price difference and ofcourse more importantly the logistics involved in buying from Europe and then sending the Pre 2 to the US for activation and then arranging for it to be brought to India, may compel me to once again buy from the US and just make do with EDGE/GPRS and WiFi.

It is such a shame that Palm has made this all so complicated. In my opinion, the lack of vision and marketing skills are the major reason for Palm's failure, specially outside the US. They have always been too US centric and have never understood the potential of the international market. If only it was Handspring that was still at the helm of things. A lot of people forget that it was Handspring that created the Treo and not Palm. In fact Palm had consistently failed in designing a decent smart phone and which is what led them to buy out Handspring. The innovations in the smartphone business came from Handspring and not Palm. Rather after taking over Handspring, Palm failed to take advantage of the huge lead that they inherited inthe smartphone business.

Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post

Hi.. to be very honest had absolutely no idea about these things.. my husband wanted a Palm phone and a friend suggested Pre , which he got for us from US.