1.    #1  
    Hello!

A couple days after purchasing the Pre (and yes I do love this phone), I went into the Sprint Store near my house and ask if they sold Clear Protective Skin Covers for my Pre (Invisible Shields, Body Glovez, etc.). The sprint representative strongly recommended me NOT to use any clear skin covers on the Pre because it causes overheating problem!?!?!? She said cases are fine but no protective screen covers because somehow it causes overheating problems to the Pre.

Is this true? Has anyone ever heard of this happening? Or is she just pulling my string..

Thanks!
    Last edited by chewibui; 12/14/2009 at 02:12 AM.
    I sincerely doubt this.

Since the skins are bonded directly to the surface of the phone, the transmission of heat from the inside of the phone out into the air should be very efficient. There's a little more mass involved, which would raise the amount of heat retained very slightly, but I can't imagine a 1-2mm layer of plastic being able to hold much in the way of heat.

Cases, theoretically, should be more of a problem, not less. The air between the surface of the phone would be like an insulating layer, acting to retain heat.

It's like the difference between wearing a thin, skin tight shirt versus a heavy jacket. Which one keeps you warmer?
    Just a wild guess couldnt the skin actually help keep the phone cooler? By drawing heat away from the inside of the phone provided the outside temp is lower?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by idontwan2know View Post
    I sincerely doubt this.

Since the skins are bonded directly to the surface of the phone, the transmission of heat from the inside of the phone out into the air should be very efficient. There's a little more mass involved, which would raise the amount of heat retained very slightly, but I can't imagine a 1-2mm layer of plastic being able to hold much in the way of heat.

Cases, theoretically, should be more of a problem, not less. The air between the surface of the phone would be like an insulating layer, acting to retain heat.

It's like the difference between wearing a thin, skin tight shirt versus a heavy jacket. Which one keeps you warmer?
    hmm, ok I guess I'll go with plan A and purchase the skin cover then. Thanks for your help.
    I sincerely doubt this.

You mean 1-2 mil instaed of 1-2MM?
    Quote Originally Posted by Boggs3010 View Post
    Just a wild guess couldnt the skin actually help keep the phone cooler? By drawing heat away from the inside of the phone provided the outside temp is lower?
    The cover is plastic thus retains heat. In this case is in nothing to be noted. If the cover was made of metal like aluminum (think of a heat sink), it would then draw heat away from the phone. I for one would not like the cuts from the fins. Note that the speaker cover on the back is also a vent. It is not sealed around anything on the inside. One problem is that water and dust/dirt can get into the phone through there.
    "mm" is the accepted abbreviation for millimeters, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.
    Plastic film is measured in mils. 1 mil is equal to .001". Those shields are more like 5 mil, maybe more.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Idontwan2know is right - you can add a thin protective film without any problem. The temperature rise from installing it would be maybe .1 or .2C, given how thin they are, and the low thermal output of the Pre. I use the Phantonskinz on my family's Pre's.

Regarding "drawing away heat", no case or protective film can do this unless they are (1) very thermally conductive AND (2) have more surface area on the outer surface than the original Pre has, since this is essentially a one-dimensional heat conduction problem. The only way to lower the temperature of the Pre is if both of these are true - it really doesn't draw away heat as much as it lowers the thermal resistive path to the ambient. Sounds like semantics, but that's the way to describe it thermally (for us thermal engineers).

I'd worry a lot more with what some people do - putting the Pre "sock" cover over it when it's on the Touchstone overnight. Now that's a real thermal barrier and will increase the Pre's temperature quite a bit during charging.

(Electronics cooling is my specialty and I've been working in the field for 25+ years - calculations like this are my everyday bread and butter. Hopefully that will give you some confidence as well.)
    most likely its a bad battery but if its a new phone it could be in its seeding period , which is the first three weeks or so keeping the battery as charged as possible . after that it should calm down alot but maybe every once in a while it will still got hot if you run several apps at the same time !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    "mm" is the accepted abbreviation for millimeters, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.
    mm (millimeters) is not accepted for mil (Sweden measure)

1 mil = 0.0254mm
    1mm = 39.37 mils
    1inch=1000mm
    1mm=0.001inches

So if it were 1-2mm thick, that would make it 39.37-78.74mils.
    or 0.001-0.002 inches
    And for the techies at heart we could talk about um (gauge) or mym (microns) if you want.

Simple mistake I guess. But please don't make my windows.