Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The Palm Pre forwards e-mails on our Exchange 2007 accounts server very clever. It just sends the additional text you may have typed and let the server compile the rest. The result is that the HTML format stays 1:1 even if the original was written in Outlook 2007 with its bad Word HTML rendering engine and embedded pictures or 30MB attachments don't need to be downloaded to forward the mail in full.
    As far as I know only Windows Mobile devices do that.

Too sad the Pre doesn't treat the original (HTML) body of e-mails when replying. Like the iPhone the whole original body is send when replying which results in a ugly defacement like misplaced pictures and tables, wrong fonts, and most annoying doubled spaced lines.

My question: is there a way to force the Pre to reply e-mails the same way it forwards them? Maybe a patch could do this like there is a patch for changing the font size e.g..
    which is precisely why HTML should never be used for e-mail anyway.
  3.    #3  
    I was expecting this answer. But it is fact that people send us HTML e-mails and we have to answer them in HTML.

So does anybody have an idea...?
    melino, I am in complete agreement with you! There is no excuse for the E-mail app to not be able to do this, when Palm offers Exchange ActiveSync as a feature enhancement!

I fear that Palm will only implement this feature after enough badgering. Let it begin!
  5.    #5  
    ... and I thought I am the only one knowing about smart reply at all. - So here's my X-mas present to you, pureinstinct93:

Actually Palm implemented smart replying already in its e-mail application but disabled it for some reason. Maybe they were afraid of those who would complain that it's not possible to edit the original text. This btw is the reason why the Maemo OS of the Nokia N900 also uses just smart forwarding and not replying. This is what one of the developer of the ActiveSync implementation of the N900 told me.

All you have to do is edit the Email.jsjsjs $in$ /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$email$/$app$/$models$, $search$ $for$ //$params$.$replyMessage$ = $this$.$id$; $and$ $delete$ $the$ // $in$ $front$ $so$ $the$ $line$ $becomes$ $active$.
    Furthermore you can edit this file to use the fonts of your choice for the reply, the signature and replace the wrote: with the standard header Outlook uses. (From/To/Date/Subject) including its font too. I have build me a Email.jsjsjs $which$ $formats$ $the$ $mobile$ $e$-$mails$ $with$ $the$ $same$ $look$ $like$ $Outlook$ $2007$ $does$ $it$. $This$ $way$ $I$ $can$ $hide$ $that$ $I$ $am$ $outside$ $office$ $when$ $someone$ $may$ $expect$ $me$ $to$ $be$ $there$ ;-)

Yeah, so now I have Web OS to support AS as well as WM or even better! In Web OS you can use HTML formats for you mobile written e-mails, like bold and colors etc.
    I can't stand the way the font looks on emails sent from a Pre to Outlook... it looks enlarged and very unprofessional... It didn't do this in the first couple of months, and I can't remember what update brought these settings... Is there an easy way to fix this??

I'm not sure how to edit the system files in WebOS...
    I too am looking for a way to fix this email font and format issue. I find the email reply issue, and the battery, are the my only current complaints about the Pre. Could someone please explain how to fix the email issue? I have never changed the root files of a phone, so if there is a simple way to do this please let me know.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    I tried this today and it's great! Someone should make this edit into a patch for Preware!
  9.    #9  
    Easiest thing for you would be to install WebOS Quick Install on you desktop computer and send the file attached to the directory
    Code:
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/models
    You may have to google a bit to put the Pre into the developer mode and so on. But it's easy, safe and worth it.

You may have a look at my other post regarding smart reply. I can't post links yet, but search for "HOW TO: Enable Smart Reply in E-Mail"
    Attached Files Attached Files
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikerz View Post
    I tried this today and it's great! Someone should make this edit into a patch for Preware!
    Yeah, would be great. Unfortunately I don't have much time now...
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    There's a new patch in Preware that mods replies and forwards but I don't know if it enables HTML smart replies.
  12.    #12  
    There's a new patch in Preware that mods replies and forwards but I don't know if it enables HTML smart replies.
    No, it doesn't.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by melino View Post
    Actually Palm implemented smart replying already in its e-mail application but disabled it for some reason. Maybe they were afraid of those who would complain that it's not possible to edit the original text.
    I just tried editing the original text in a reply and it worked!
  14.    #14  
    I just tried editing the original text in a reply and it worked!
    I guess you don't use smart reply than. When using smart reply the original mail is only shown to you but can't be edited. However you only send your reply to the server and not the original message.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by melino View Post
    I guess you don't use smart reply than. When using smart reply the original mail is only shown to you but can't be edited. However you only send your reply to the server and not the original message.
    Hmm...I'm using your patch though. When I reply to an email sent from Exchange server, I can move the cursor down through the original message and edit it. When I send the email, the text is changed.
    Melino - thank you thank you thank you

The e-mail font/format issue has been a huge annoyance for me, to the point that I've been considering ditching the Pre in favor of a WM device. I installed the patch you posted above, and it works great. I can't tell you how helpful this is.

FYI, I upgraded to 1.3.5 before installing the file and don't have any issues thus far.
  17.    #17  
    Very glad to read this, moapl! :-)
  18.    #18  
    There is an extra topic for this patch here.

In fact you have to modify this script too, to avoid a double quote when replying.
    OK perhaps I spoke a bit too soon...

One issue I've discovered is that I can't send reply messages from the Pre thru EAS. The message just sits in the Outbox and won't send. New messages and forwards go through no problem (and look great!). I'm running 1.3.5 and not sure if this is bug relates to the 1.3.5 upgrade or Melino's patch.

Anyone else experience this or have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    -Andy
    Thanks to melino and Tikerz for their help in figuring out how to enable SmartReply. For those interested, mike_pre and I have created a patch for this that mimics Outlook 2007's formatting here. Should be up on Preware soon.
    Last edited by Jonolee; 01/28/2010 at 02:52 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast