Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey,

ALL my pictures from my Palm Pre has got picture noise Like here:

http://img8.abload.de/img/cimg0008p0nw.jpg

Is this normal? That's terrible
    LOL! All the ones you take at night with no flash will...
    I'm afraid I can't let you do that.
    Was that taken at night, Im assuming? Pre doesnt do that great with night shots, photos with the flash, its not very powerful, or have much distance to it, Without flash, there is just not enough light. Have you taken any daytime, expecially outdoor shots. It seems to do the best with outdoors, daytime, natural light.

here are the same subjects first night, indoors, with flash then day, outdoors no flash. For a cell phone camera it really does a decent job with daytime photos

nite.jpg

day.jpg
    yeah same here..outside pics rock!!
    inside gets a little hazey.
    wonder if they can update this somehow?
    clean your lens also with a qtip dipped in a little alcohol...
    There is a certain level of light that the electronic noise in the CMOS or CCD sensor where low light can not over power it. The result is more light. The Pre camera is better in low light than almost any other cell phone camera that I have tried. If you want better performance in low light, use a low megapixel DSLR with a huge sensor.

The larger the sensor and few the pixel count, the better the low light capability, given the same technology. More megapixels often makes a camera worse for pictures, because the levels of light it can handle gets worse.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by rondera View Post
    Hey,

ALL my pictures from my Palm Pre has got picture noise Like here:

http://img8.abload.de/img/cimg0008p0nw.jpg

Is this normal? That's terrible
    Have you ever HAD a camera in a mobile phone? The Pre's low-light camera pix are better than any other phone I've had. I'm surprised you're complaining.

Maybe it's a European thing? Are other phones there sporting better cameras?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    My pre camera replaced the 10 megapixel one i brought to all my job sites. I even had my project manager ask me what camera I was using. I thought he was gonna say they weren't good enough, but he wanted to tell me that they all turned out great and wanted to know my secret. Imagine his surprise when I told him it was the camera in my phone!

Most pictures I take are at night, but using indoor fluorescent lighting.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    My Pre's camera rocks. But aI also don't take pictures in poor/mixed lighting
    in the dark. If the light levels are low, it will crank up the effective ISO
    which produces sensor noise. Very view digital cameras will produce good
    results in those conditions, and many cell phone cameras are truly dreadful.

ian
    The question is, can we tweak the LED Flash to be brighter??
  11.    #11  
    Ok Thanks for your help/info's
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwonderful View Post
    The question is, can we tweak the LED Flash to be brighter??
    No. You would need much more light and a wider dispersion to do any good for really dark scenes. If you want a camera that will take pictures in near darkness and still be small, look for a used Fuji SmartPix F20. Dual sensitivity sensor (using Fuji's SuperCCD) and does amazing low light for a camera that small.

Unfortunately, the consumer bought the bogus, more pixels is better crap from manufacturers. It is a myth. But also way cameras seem to get worse and worse in low light performance.

The Megapixel Myth

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    No. You would need much more light and a wider dispersion to do any good for really dark scenes. If you want a camera that will take pictures in near darkness and still be small, look for a used Fuji SmartPix F20. Dual sensitivity sensor (using Fuji's SuperCCD) and does amazing low light for a camera that small.

Unfortunately, the consumer bought the bogus, more pixels is better crap from manufacturers. It is a myth. But also way cameras seem to get worse and worse in low light performance.

The Megapixel Myth
    I would just use a camera with a strong flash for low light instances or one which has a much more sensitive sensor. But the question is could the LED on the phone be tweaked to be brighter or flash longer or have a longer dispersion distance?
    To get better low light resolution, you need two things, a bigger sensor and a better quality lens, but then you would complain about how the pre is way to big and expensive. If you want quality night time shots, by a 1000 dollar SLR camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwonderful View Post
    I would just use a camera with a strong flash for low light instances or one which has a much more sensitive sensor. But the question is could the LED on the phone be tweaked to be brighter or flash longer or have a longer dispersion distance?
    No, the LED is pushed pretty hard as it is. Professional Photographers know that the best photos come from using no flash in the dark (if possible) and tons of flash in strong light. Flash at noon fills in the dark shadows caused by bright sunlight. Flash as night CREATES dark shadows and bright lights.

It told me.

Sorry, I had to do it.
    LOL
  17. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    ..........^..........
    ..........|..........
    ..........|..........
    ..........|..........
    ..........|..........
    hahahahahahaha
    Camera light sensitivity and shutter speed would make this camera better, but would kill your battery.

Nobody really expected the Pre camera to replace their stand alone camera, did they?
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  19.    #19  
    http://img7.abload.de/img/cimg0176fukj.jpg

I've got a new Pic. Is that normal that the left side is so potty if u maximize the picture? :/ I think it's terrible
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rondera View Post

I've got a new Pic. Is that normal that the left side is so potty if u maximize the picture? :/ I think it's terrible
    Please read the above posts.

Also note that indoor lighting might seem bright to human eyes, but to small sensors it is still very dark. What you are seeing is noise (from the insufficient light) that the Pre is trying to reduce. It then has to blur the photo slightly to help hide the processing to reduce the noise.

Hope this helps...
    Bell Pre- running 2.1 @ 800MHz
    Samsung Galaxy Tab (stock)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast